!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 7014 times)

colin4, carlmt and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2018, 09:26:02 PM »
With the plaster bandage you just cut sections off the roll, dip it in a shallow water tray and lay it over the brown paper. It seems to take a day or two to dry fully.
That might be the brown paper substrate retaining the moisture? Plaster bandage usually hardens and dries quite rapidly, remember it used to be used for setting broken arms etc.!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2018, 09:33:39 PM »
And using warm water can help.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2018, 09:32:08 AM »
More messy fun this morning! I've mixed up plaster of paris with the poster paint and smeared it onto the hill, covering up all the little gaps in the mesh of the plaster bandage.

I mixed up too much at first, it starts to set surprisingly quickly in the mixing pot!

In other news, I have made my ICE style tunnel portals with a £5 length of 10cm diameter air duct tubing from B&Q and a hack saw. These have been painted very light grey with Tamiya acrylics. I'm extremely chuffed with these!

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2018, 09:39:53 AM »
............….In other news, I have made my ICE style tunnel portals with a £5 length of 10cm diameter air duct tubing from B&Q and a hack saw. These have been painted very light grey with Tamiya acrylics. I'm extremely chuffed with these!

Much cheaper than the Busch ones. :thumbsup:
John

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2018, 09:49:50 AM »

I know. I'm figuring I can't self-make locos, rolling stock or track (well, not without extreme difficulty), so I'm going to make as much of the other stuff as possible. My signal box was an inexpensive Kibri kit and I'll use that to scale my scratch built station building.

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2018, 10:24:55 AM »

I know. I'm figuring I can't self-make locos, rolling stock or track (well, not without extreme difficulty), so I'm going to make as much of the other stuff as possible. My signal box was an inexpensive Kibri kit and I'll use that to scale my scratch built station building.
And I'm sure you will make a great job of it. I find that building the layout is just as much fun as running the trains.
John

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2018, 10:38:12 AM »

And I'm sure you will make a great job of it. I find that building the layout is just as much fun as running the trains.

Thank you, yes the building is rewarding!

Here's my nearly finished signal box. I've painted it in my favoured colours with various mixes of Tamiya acrylics. I'll leave weathering it till it's in position in the landscaped layout. it was quite hard to get the correct brick tone - I mixed desert yellow, red and white in the end.  I've replaced the kit glasing with thin, clear plastic cut from Fleishmann track packaging, as I found it easier to get a precise fit that way.

Regarding the station, I will be going for a scratch build. I've changed the prototype now to a smaller building. After a long trawl through Google satellite view, I've located a small, modern station outside Zurich. I've sent a relative who lives near there to go and take photos for me! Looking forward to the joys of scratch building for the first time!

The plaster on the hill is now fully dry, I'm making a few tweaks and then I'll give an even coat of brown acrylic. Then I guess it's ready for the addition of some rock effects and final scenics.

And finally, I'm getting through painting all the sleepers grey - this is taking quite a long time! :sleep: Once that's done I can think about gluing the track down.

So things are creeping along.... :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:40:33 AM by Globi »

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2018, 11:08:07 AM »

Here's my nearly finished signal box. I've painted it in my favoured colours with various mixes of Tamiya acrylics. ………….

You appear to have made a good job of the signal box. I've built a couple of these kits over the years and they didn't fit together particularly well. Probably something to do with it being a very old moulding.

Regarding the station, I will be going for a scratch build...…….. I've located a small, modern station outside Zurich. I've sent a relative who lives near there to go and take photos for me!

Now I know why you are using a Swiss station to model and not a German one.  :D
John

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2018, 07:45:52 PM »

Here's my nearly finished signal box. I've painted it in my favoured colours with various mixes of Tamiya acrylics. ………….

You appear to have made a good job of the signal box. I've built a couple of these kits over the years and they didn't fit together particularly well. Probably something to do with it being a very old moulding.

Regarding the station, I will be going for a scratch build...…….. I've located a small, modern station outside Zurich. I've sent a relative who lives near there to go and take photos for me!

Now I know why you are using a Swiss station to model and not a German one.  :D

Thank you, yes the fit is a bit dodgy here and there but the overall effect seems good! Yes it's kind of him to go and take those research photos, would be a bit stuck with only street view as reference!

Matt

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2018, 07:54:45 PM »
its looking good

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2018, 08:47:27 PM »
I've just started gluing the track down to the cork bed with PVA. I must say I'm quite surprised how much noisier the trains are running over the glued down sections! Is it any quieter if you use track pins/screws instead? :hmmm:

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2018, 09:00:00 PM »
I've just started gluing the track down to the cork bed with PVA. I must say I'm quite surprised how much noisier the trains are running over the glued down sections! Is it any quieter if you use track pins/screws instead? :hmmm:

Pins and/or screws driven into the ply will increase the noise even more and if you think it is noisy now wait until you do the ballasting. :worried:
John

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2018, 09:03:35 PM »

Glued track will transmit more sound than loose track as you've created a firm contact between track and cork, and between cork and baseboard, but the cork itself at least provides some insulation compared to gluing track directly to the baseboard.

Personally I think pins/screws transfer more sound to the underlying board, plus they look worse IMO.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2018, 09:04:59 PM »

Pins and/or screws driven into the ply will increase the noise even more and if you think it is noisy now wait until you do the ballasting. :worried:

Yikes! Ok good to know that it's normal though  :thumbsup:

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2018, 09:22:41 PM »

Yikes! Ok good to know that it's normal though  :thumbsup:
I agree completely with Nick.  I have done a fair bit of testing as I like quiet trains.  The best results for sound-deadening that I found is a soft-ish foam and track stuck to it with 'Copydex'.  (The Table-Top Railway (Mk II) used this approach.)  A single track pin through the foam and into the solid baseboard will increase the noise much more than one might think.

Best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £250.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £175.00
Below Goal: £75.00
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything