!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Globibahn SBB Layout  (Read 63580 times)

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #1125 on: October 13, 2019, 05:16:34 PM »
I think the second version may look more realistic.

Addit: Can you try both versions using something non-permanent like Blue-Tac of Tacky Wax?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 05:17:45 PM by dannyboy, Reason: added a bit »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1126 on: October 13, 2019, 05:43:14 PM »
I think the second version may look more realistic.

Addit: Can you try both versions using something non-permanent like Blue-Tac of Tacky Wax?

Me too!

however I've realised planning with diagrams is no good, due to the underpass! I've switched to using lego bricks (they're four times the thickness of the columns) to mock up with. I literally have no choice but to leave a gap for the underpass.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 05:44:44 PM by Globibahn »

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #1127 on: October 13, 2019, 06:02:56 PM »
Hi,

Just to let you know that the Kato platform canopy pillars are 66mm apart and presume they did some research. Probably no use but might help.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1128 on: October 13, 2019, 06:08:04 PM »
Hi,

Just to let you know that the Kato platform canopy pillars are 66mm apart and presume they did some research. Probably no use but might help.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Thank you, that is a useful comparison! :thumbsup:

Offline ntpntpntp

• Königshafen thread on NGF
    • Awards
« Reply #1129 on: October 13, 2019, 06:23:31 PM »
I was thinking I also prefer the idea of the columns further apart.   On the other hand, this is the clearest photo I can find of the canopies that my good friend made for my platforms as part of the layout's "station upgade" in the early 00s.  He would have based the canopies on prototype photos. The support columns are actually closer together than I'd remembered them.

I would think you should be able to come up with an arrangement which gives you a regular spacing and accommodates the subway steps?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #1130 on: October 13, 2019, 07:04:18 PM »
Maybe five columns would be enough? Then you could have one just behind the steps. I don’t think that there is a fixed standard for column spacing. More modern stations built with stronger materials would make a wider spacing possible.
Peter

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1131 on: October 13, 2019, 07:19:13 PM »
Maybe five columns would be enough? Then you could have one just behind the steps. I don’t think that there is a fixed standard for column spacing. More modern stations built with stronger materials would make a wider spacing possible.

I agree that the columns look better further apart and evenly spaced out if possible. I've moved the whole structure over to the right a bit, which enables a 5 column setup with 70mm in between each - not far off the 66mm suggested. Obviously will need to trial with slender I-beams when these arrive.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 07:23:16 PM by Globibahn »

Online Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #1132 on: October 13, 2019, 07:58:53 PM »
I would really place the column behind the steps and not as an obstacle just before them, as this is the only way to enter and exit the platform. And, most people like to stand where a column is and the platform narrow and blocking the way is much easier. :veryangry:
Peter

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1133 on: October 13, 2019, 08:12:18 PM »
I would really place the column behind the steps and not as an obstacle just before them, as this is the only way to enter and exit the platform. And, most people like to stand where a column is and the platform narrow and blocking the way is much easier. :veryangry:

Visually yes I agree, but wouldn't a column go deep into the ground? If I put the column as you suggest, there is a void of the underpass directly beneath it. Obviously I 'm speaking prototypically, on the model it wouldn't make any difference.

Or do you mean put the column off centre line? ???

Offline ntpntpntp

• Königshafen thread on NGF
    • Awards
« Reply #1134 on: October 13, 2019, 08:23:01 PM »
...wouldn't a column go deep into the ground? If I put the column as you suggest, there is a void of the underpass directly beneath it.

Those columns probably don't go very deep, they don't have massive weight to support. If it were a concern I would imagine there would be a concrete or steel cross-member above the roof of the underpass. 
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #1135 on: October 13, 2019, 08:44:24 PM »
I also think that the columns don’t go very deep. I have looked at some stations but have not found a similar situation. The platforms I had in mind are wider and have two rows of columns at both sides of the stairs. :hmmm:
Peter

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1136 on: October 13, 2019, 08:46:03 PM »
Hi Matt. This is the canopy that I based one of mine on. The supports are concrete but the arrangement is similar to what you are trying to achieve. You will notice that they have used double supports over the stair area and this enables you to space all the supports evenly along the length of the canopy. Your spacing of 2 x the height also looks fairly accurate.

John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1137 on: October 14, 2019, 07:31:37 AM »
Ahhhhhhh interesting - the double row may be the solution. Or I'll place a column above the tunnel (I was obviously unduly concerened about that)!

Thanks for input! :beers:

Matt

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1138 on: October 14, 2019, 08:53:41 AM »
Things are coming on.

I've shortened the canopy by a couple of inches. This is because when testing trains, it looked really mega awkward with the carriages coming around the curves and passing close to the canopy corners! It would be even worse if I run dostos like John's. (Got my eye on Night Jet dostos at the moment).

Based on Nick's assurance that the column behind the stairs won't go unexpectedly pile-driving down into the tunnel beneath and flattening any Globistadt citizens, think this is the method I will proceed with. :D

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 08:56:23 AM by Globibahn »

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1139 on: October 14, 2019, 09:02:21 AM »
Looking really good.  :thumbsup:

And I still love that fountain!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!