!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Modelling Swiss narrow gauge in 1:150th scale  (Read 16447 times)

Online Jim Easterbrook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Retired research engineer.
    • Personal web site
    • Awards
Re: Modelling Swiss narrow gauge in 1:150th scale
« Reply #255 on: June 27, 2020, 12:38:15 PM »
I received a couple of MDS-Modell Haik wagons yesterday. They're supplied with Rapido style couplers, which I've eliminated from the rest of my stuff, so the first job was to fit something else. The bogies have the same coupler mount as Kato's RhB coaches, so it's easy to fit a Kato close coupler arm.

This looks much better than before, and still copes with 150 mm radius curves and S bends.

Coupling to a Kato coach is not so easy - there's a significant height difference.

Once coupled, the coach is lifting the front of the MDS bogie.

I've got another selection of Micro Trains couplers en route from Yankee Dabbler - hopefully I'll be able to get something to work and be the same height as the MTL couplers on my locos and end coaches. Or I could reduce the height of all my MTL couplers and call it a new standard.

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #256 on: June 27, 2020, 08:30:22 PM »
Hullo Jim,

I've heard some folk have reduced the height of the HAIK wagons by shaving off a 1/2 mm of the boss that the bogie fits to.

I've yet to check my own HAIK. I'm not yet a gentleman of leisure, and still working full time as key personnel....
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 08:34:23 PM by Gizzy »
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Online Jim Easterbrook

• Retired research engineer.
    • Personal web site
    • Awards
« Reply #257 on: June 28, 2020, 09:12:52 AM »
I've heard some folk have reduced the height of the HAIK wagons by shaving off a 1/2 mm of the boss that the bogie fits to.

Yes, that's something to look into later on. It will reduce the clearance between bogie and body, so I need to sort out the couplers first. The Haik looks tall against the EW1, but the difference is much less against a GEX coach.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal