!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish Class 37 sound installed but struggling on lights  (Read 359 times)

Offline danmk1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27109
  • 2mm Association Number: 5415
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Farish Class 37 sound installed but struggling on lights
« on: October 03, 2018, 06:11:47 PM »
Was hoping that somebody could advise on a problem I have experienced. I have installed a ESU sound decoder in a Class 37 but am unable to get the lights working. All other functions are working fine.
I have checked CV29 which is returning 26.
Below are 3 pictures of the loco hoping that I have made an obvious error in the instalation.
The White wire is attached to C, Yellow to A and Blue to B

Thanks in advance
Dan

My layout build: Bordon Light Railway http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39031.0

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
Re: Farish Class 37 sound installed but struggling on lights
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 10:41:49 PM »
Hi

2 things stand out as incorrect to me, firstly you have white wires all connected together and the same with the yellow, if it was to work that would give you white at both ends on at the same time, front white should go to decoder white and rear yellow.

White is white LED, Yellow is Red LED.

The other error is I can't see the resistor in the blue wire and without it you have probably either blown the lighting circuit on the decoder or the LED's in the loco

The original PCB you removed had the lighting resistor built in so you should have added something like a 5k resistor in the blue wire

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 03:11:32 PM »
Hi

Any update on this, did you get the lights working?
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

Offline danmk1

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 04:27:01 PM »
Hi

Any update on this, did you get the lights working?

Good afternoon @Paul-H

Your ears must have been burning. I have just got back from work and popped into Rapid Electronics on the way.

I have brought a strip of resistors and am just about to reinstall so fingers cross  :uneasy:

Thanks again
Dan
My layout build: Bordon Light Railway http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39031.0

Offline Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 04:51:05 PM »
Hope it's not too late for the LED's they do blow very quickly if the supply is too high. Have  you got a meter you can test them with.

Offline danmk1

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 06:01:10 PM »
Hope it's not too late for the LED's they do blow very quickly if the supply is too high. Have  you got a meter you can test them with.

I was able to check using the original board that all the driving leds were still working.
Have just rewired and now have switchable lights one end but nothing the other  :confused2: so halfway there  :headbutt:  :hmmm:

Offline Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 09:16:17 PM »
Might be something simple like the contacts at one end not quite contacting with contacts in the body, are you sure the body is fully seated as there is not much room, even with the original PCB removed, might be the speaker or stay alive just stopping the body sitting fully home, I know when I did mine I had to use a very low profile speaker and it only just connects with the contacts on one end, with the other end being fine.

Just a thought, might be worth removing the speaker and or stay alive to see if the lights work then, remember to insulate the wires first though.

Paul

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 10:37:12 PM »
Sounds like you blew part of the lighting circuit easily done especially if you didnt fit resistors first but try this...put a 1k resistor on each of the yellow and white wires and not on the blue...sometimes this cures it due to resistance of the red leds being higher and drawing more current
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 10:40:34 PM by Only Me »

Offline danmk1

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 05:45:39 PM »
With big thanks to @Paul-H and @Only Me I have now sorted the lighting problem. After reinstalling the wiring with the addition of the resistors in the blue common and adjusting the contacts I now have:

and

:claphappy: :claphappy:
Thanks again

Dan

Offline Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 07:03:57 PM »
Its good when a plan comes together isn't it. Glad you got it working in the end

Can I ask what speaker you used.

Paul

Offline danmk1

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 06:08:41 PM »
Its good when a plan comes together isn't it. Glad you got it working in the end

Can I ask what speaker you used.

Paul
Hi Paul

At present its fitted with a Zimo Sugarcube, which will be going back in my N-class (My layout is southern based in the early 40's but I had a Class 37 as a kid on a layout my dad built me :D) . The supplied speaker, which is now back in, is an AB Components minature speaker, which in my opinion, despite being about a fifth of the price of the Zimo still gives good sound.

Fitting wise wasn't too bad once I filed the chassis down, finished off with a quick spray with primer and then black.

S

Dan
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 06:52:11 PM by danmk1 »

Offline Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 08:35:58 PM »
Thanks Dan, that explains it, I hadn't noticed you had filed anything down so was puzzled by the size of speaker, I know on mine I had to use a very short speaker with almost no sound chamber, just to get the body back on. Mind you it still has a good sound quality and volume.

I generally don't like grinding to make room for speaker, unless I have to, as I like having the option of returning it to stock condition, should I need or want to sell it at some point.

Will have a look for those speakers though.

Paul

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here