New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 16v AC Accessory controller required  (Read 221 times)

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
16v AC Accessory controller required
« on: October 02, 2018, 07:44:00 PM »
 :help: I have an old train controller and just use the 16v AC output for accessories. However, the controller does not seem to be working correctly now. I have looked on the forum, ebay, the net generally and Brimal, but am struggling to work out exactly what is available. Can any one recommend a suitable 16v AC supply? I do have a spare Kato controller, so would I be better getting the 24-829 AC adaptor? Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: 16v AC Accessory controller required
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 07:50:57 PM »
Not the cheapest option by any means, but gives you a nicely cased unit with two 16VAC outputs. I use one of these with my automated shuttle system: one output powers the track shuttle unit, the other powers lights and level crossings etc.

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GMC-M1
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 08:02:30 PM »
@ntpntpntp
Not the cheapest option by any means,

You are not wrong there  :goggleeyes:. However, the main thing that I require power for at the moment is an automated shuttle unit, presumably something like yours, so I will give the Gaugemaster unit serious consideration.  :thankyousign:
Some of the units I have seen on ebay quote different amps, from 1 upwards which is confusing me  ???. (Not too difficult). I am guessing that only a small amp output would suffice for n gauge accessories  ???.
David.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 08:09:18 PM »

Some of the units I have seen on ebay quote different amps, from 1 upwards which is confusing me  ???. (Not too difficult). I am guessing that only a small amp output would suffice for n gauge accessories  ???.
Depends on the total current draw of all the things you attach.   If it's just a few LED streetlights then you don't need much, but if you're powering loads of bulbs then you need more!    I'd recommend 1 amp minimum ( so the M1 gives you two of those), which should be fine for powering a shuttle unit.

You can find 15V-ish 1 amp power supplies for much less than the cost of an M1 but many of them tend to be DC.

Here's an AC one (no idea if it's actually any good)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1A-1000MA-15V-15VA-AC-AC-OUTPUT-MAINS-POWER-ADAPTOR-SUPPLY-CHARGER-TRANSFORMER/122154633825?hash=item1c70fbca61:g:5BsAAOSw8gVX6nEn
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:13:50 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 08:18:25 PM »
I have a few power supplies lying about the house, but they are all DC. The one you found on ebay, (thank you), is one to think about.  :thumbsup:
@ntpntpntp
David.

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 08:44:25 AM »
It depends what device you want to operate.  Some will be fine (and may run cooler) on a DC supply.   But some may need the 50Hz mains "ripple" to get good operation.

Most of the world is going to DC at low voltages, using switched mode DC supplies (everything from phone chargers to laptop power bricks).  The days of having a transformer are over, and hence why the few sources of AC transformers are expensive. 

Cheapest option for AC, if DC isn't going to work, might be a s/hand old model rail controller, such as an H&M Clipper or Duette.  Whilst the speed control mats may be past it, the transformer inside is going to be fine for the AC output.   

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 11:28:08 AM »
If you can loose a volt,theres plenty of 15-0-15v transformers about,either new from the likes of RS and farnel or secondhand from the bay of e

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 11:31:51 AM »
I use second hand power supplies all the time.

I check voltage output, but more importantly, current.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything