New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Soldering advice  (Read 903 times)

Offline Ricky B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26895
    • Awards
Re: Soldering advice
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2018, 02:15:30 PM »
Cheers for that Old Crow.. that sounds to make sense and contributing to the body of opinion that says even though my practice sessions using multi core tin/lead solder have been partially successful, it would do no harm to get some flux. Talking of which, I'm still not certain where to buy it (other than online sources).
I failed to get any after a visit to Tolworth Showtrain. Is liquid flux normally carried by the Wickeses and B&Qs of the world or is it an electronics shop I need?

Online jthjth

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2018, 02:20:12 PM »
Flux from the DIY sheds is likely to be for plumbing purposes, and is likely to be corrosive. There are quite a lot of suppliers on Amazon for not much money. If it states rosin it should be fine.

Offline Ricky B

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2018, 03:17:37 PM »
Thanks for that jthjth. Avoiding the corrosive variety seems key. Are fluxes  usually pastes or is there a genuinely liquid one- and any advantage either way?

Online jthjth

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2018, 03:26:59 PM »
I doubt really matters, paste or liquid. Either way, you need very little of it - flux is just a surface treatment. Try not to inhale the fumes.

Offline Ricky B

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2018, 04:15:07 PM »
Many thanks jth.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2018, 04:32:30 PM »
Generally I use Fry Powerflow paste which is actually for lead-free, though I avoid lead-free solder as it's not friendly to use.   I have a small 50g pot which has lasted for several years. It seems difficult to find the 50g pots at the moment, but the 100g pots are readily available.

I also have a flux pen which dispenses liquid flux and can by handy for pcb work.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2018, 04:51:40 PM »
I've just read this from beginning to end and found it extremely useful - I've certainly learned a few things where I have been going wrong. Mods - may I suggest this is moved into Tutorials? It deserves to be easily available.

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything