!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Colour Light Signals  (Read 3724 times)

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Colour Light Signals
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2020, 05:32:04 PM »
Not really, sorry! The drawings are available online, so a nice easy one to do though.

Offline themadhippy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2020, 05:36:13 PM »
I still like the idea of a working theatre indicator. OLED screens are getting smaller,
As are leds, 0.65mm x0.65mm,so a 5x 7 matrix would theoerticaly be less than 3.5mm x 5mm.As for controll ive sinced discovered charlieplexing,for 35 leds you only need 7 control lines.
Don't fart before your arse is ready

Offline ahellary

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2020, 05:53:19 PM »
Not really, sorry! The drawings are available online, so a nice easy one to do though.
im a newbie at the drawing and printing area can you point me in the right diretction as where the info is as i looked befor and i couldnt find it also whats the best 3d package to use to design them thanks

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2020, 06:19:40 PM »
I still like the idea of a working theatre indicator. OLED screens are getting smaller,
As are leds, 0.65mm x0.65mm,so a 5x 7 matrix would theoerticaly be less than 3.5mm x 5mm.As for controll ive sinced discovered charlieplexing,for 35 leds you only need 7 control lines.

Mmm, Iíd not fancy trying to wire 35 of them that close together though! Still think a Ďrepeat matrixí fed by fibre optics could be the way to go. Even pre-wired an SMD matrix that small would be horrible to prepare!

im a newbie at the drawing and printing area can you point me in the right diretction as where the info is as i looked befor and i couldnt find it also whats the best 3d package to use to design them thanks

Letís not hijack this thread, thereís a whole 3D printing sub-forum if you want advice. But Iíve told you that I printed Unipart Dorman signal heads. So Iíd start on their website. Design package is personal. I like Fusion 360. 

Offline MarshLane

• 2mm Association Number: 5440
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2020, 10:48:09 PM »
The OP's not been active in a year, and I recall reading that he'd had to curtail his layout plans, so a reply may not be forthcoming.

I'd also be interested though. I've succesfully 3D printed some Dorman LED signal heads, and have some bi-colour SMDs which I plan to try and make work.

I still like the idea of a working theatre indicator. OLED screens are getting smaller, to the extent the issue would now be trying to conceal the ribbon cable rather than issues with the size of the screen!

I am friends with the original OP and although he's had to curtail the layout he did progress with things subsequently, and has had a signal head and bits printed. I have sent him a text tonight and he'll try and log on in the next day or so and update the thread with where he's at.  Any outcome will be  small and fiddly, but if I know the OP he'll want it as accurate as possible!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 10:52:05 PM by MarshLane »

Offline ahellary

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2020, 08:10:15 AM »
The OP's not been active in a year, and I recall reading that he'd had to curtail his layout plans, so a reply may not be forthcoming.

I'd also be interested though. I've succesfully 3D printed some Dorman LED signal heads, and have some bi-colour SMDs which I plan to try and make work.

I still like the idea of a working theatre indicator. OLED screens are getting smaller, to the extent the issue would now be trying to conceal the ribbon cable rather than issues with the size of the screen!

I am friends with the original OP and although he's had to curtail the layout he did progress with things subsequently, and has had a signal head and bits printed. I have sent him a text tonight and he'll try and log on in the next day or so and update the thread with where he's at.  Any outcome will be  small and fiddly, but if I know the OP he'll want it as accurate as possible!
   any news please on this

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2020, 08:23:47 AM »
Interesting stuff. The images of Frank Dyer's route indicator on Borchester Market come to mind again.

OLED displays probably hold the key here.

December RM had a review of a unit for OO. I'm sure this will translate to N pretty soon.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2020, 08:57:29 AM »
Mmm, the smallest OLED displays are just about viable in OO now, the problem will be whether anyone sees a demand in making 5x5mm screens I reckon.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2020, 09:16:06 AM »
No, it won't be model railways that dictate the development. There are many applications for small screens.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2020, 02:46:40 PM »
Well obviously, the model railway industry is vanishingly small compared to consumer electronics, but youíre talking about 10x10 pixel displays, and Iím not sure thereíll be much of a market there.

You can currently get 64x32, but you start running into problems with how you package the rest of the screen, ribbon cable etc (even if the display would sufficie for a OO gauge two-character theatre indicator) rather than purely the display area. Iím sure weíll see further advances, but Iím not sure that truly tiny ones will become a viable solution any time soon.

Offline EastMidsCoal

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2020, 09:51:52 PM »
Well having recovered from a chest infection (horrid thing) I can report that my fibre optics arrived earlier in the week, so hopefully might feel like trying something shortly!  I've got some idea's if I can make things work.

any update on the trial please

Hi,
Sorry for taking longer to post. I did do some trials and had a theatre indicator and signal head printed. I also printed a fibre optic holder and through some crude electronics was able to light up characters. I hit a couple of issues. Getting the spacing of the fibre optic strands correct will take some trial and error test. Also it needs a hole cutting in the baseboard to pass the entire signal through which isnít ideal. But yes, the premise of what I was trying to achieve, was achievable.

Far better and more in scale than using an electronic character display. Was there anything specifically you wanted to know?

As somebody else has posted, I had to curtail what I wanted to do, but helping my mate out with what he wants for his layout means this Signalling project may well come back on my agenda and progress. Iíd like to establish some ground signals and the associated theatre boxes, but they are vastly easier albeit it smaller than this theatre head!

Offline ahellary

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2020, 07:11:12 PM »
hello there and thanks for getting back

im not sure how im goinfg to do a theater box atm i only need digits 1 -5 so thers a few lines missing ... but as you said a small display may be the way forward but as yet i havent found one remorly the right size the other option i have is a signal with 4 feathers thich i have seen so its possable .. im now printing my own signal heads with or with out feathers .. it would just be neat to do it the theater way

anthony

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal