New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My take on Kestrel Kit Bashing  (Read 345 times)

Offline bob lawrence

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
My take on Kestrel Kit Bashing
« on: September 24, 2018, 04:42:33 PM »
Just thought I would share a couple of ‘bashed’ Kestrel Kits, but first I would like to give a mention to Metcalfe Kits. I think are they are extremely well made and designed but for my purpose are slightly oversize, which in this instance is an advantage.
I needed a Manor House and there were none in the Kestrel range which suited so I turned to Metcalfe and chose the Coaching Inn, by using the yard outbuildings as stables.

Now onto Kestrel. I like the size of these kits, some have said they think they are on the small side, but I think the range is a bit limited, compared to Metcalfe for example, hence the need for a bit of ‘bashing’.
Its amazing how size varies in n scale buildings.
 This first one is the Semi Detached house with an added double garage.

I can’t remember which other kit I used for the garage. It does need a bit more work, i.e. doors, gutters, drain pipes etc. One other thing I would like to point out is the ridge tiles. I made them from the smallest styrene tube and sanded short lengths down by half until they were U shape, I have also drilled the chimney pots open.

The next one is a double garage to go with the Manor House.
This is the Barn. The opening has been copied to the other side, some spare pieces added for doors, windows put in the roof, a handrail for the open steps, an arched window with stained glass (York Model Rail) and the door at the end opened

For this one I sanded the stone surfaces smooth so it could be painted white to resemble rendering. I have done this on a number of other buildings as will be shown later. I prefer to do this rather than use styrene sheets and cut the openings because it takes too long and if there are a number of windows there will be a good chance some will be out of line, plus all the windows etc come with the kit, also some roofs can be quite complex. As has been mentioned by others the gutters and drain pipes which come with Kestrel Kits are very much oversize, I prefer to use Ratio.

I have a number of other Kestrel buildings just about finished and will add these later.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: My take on Kestrel Kit Bashing
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 04:47:49 PM »
 :wonderfulmodelling:

Great work there Bob. :thumbsup:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 12:20:30 AM »
Love the manor house garage, those steps clearly lead up to a purpose built upstairs model railway room!

I am with you on the relative size of Metcalfe kits. It's not just Kestrel kits they seem larger than, but also Scalescenes, ready to plant models from Farish and Hornby and others as well. I wonder if anyone has taken a 9mm ruler to a Metcalfe model to see if it is oversize? It by no means detracts from Metcalfe's quality (they are also fun to build), but it does seem strange that they seem 'larger' in all dimensions.

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 09:28:46 AM »
This is from Metcalfe

N SCALE
For ease of design we actually work to the ratio of 2mm to 1 Foot which is 1:152. This is a scale that is becoming more popular every year and is also generally considered compatible with the 1:144 scale for miniature wargaming (12mm height of a person).

So if they are using their scale ruler correctly their N-Guage  buildings should come up slightly small, given that UK N-Gauge is 1:148 and they are working to 1:152 but given that their houses are just too big they obviously got something wrong.

Oddly their railway and industrial buildings don't appear to have this issue and look quite appropriate to N-Gauge

For scale appropriate housing have a look at the offering from these people

https://www.inthegreenwoodlaser.co.uk/collections

Paul

Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 11:38:41 AM »
Yeah, it's a bit weird. Kestrel kits are small, Metcalfe kits kits too big!

Looks like scratchbuilding, I guess!  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 08:21:31 AM »
Can I ask what you use to sand the kits? Sandpaper grade?
I have done a couple of Metcalfe Kits and find them too 'pristine' ... need to work on my weathering techniques!
Cheers  :beers:

Offline bob lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 11:13:18 AM »
Hi, it’s sheets of 180 grit. I cut a piece 30 mm wide and stick it onto a piece of wood with double sided sticky tape. Hope this helps.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything