!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol to only supply Sound Fitted models direct.  (Read 1527 times)

Offline NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
Dapol to only supply Sound Fitted models direct.
« on: September 18, 2018, 10:18:30 AM »
Dapol have anounced that they will no longer supply retailers with sound fitted locomotives. They will only be available directly from themselves.

https://www.dapol.co.uk/Dapol-Factory-Fitted-DCC-Sound-Pre-Orders

Best

Scott
(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Anxiety is a lot like a toddler. It never stops talking, tells you youíre wrong about everything, and wakes you up at 3am.

I get nervous about just about everything. Sometimes I literally donít know why Iím anxious. I just am and no-one seems to understand that.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Dapol to only supply Sound Fitted models direct.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 10:28:33 AM »
Being selfish and not liking sound equipped stuff this will change nothing for me, but does it mean no  discounts will be available to those who do want sound?

Offline NinOz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 01:00:03 PM »
I suppose my preorder for a Class50 with sound via Hattons would now have to come from Dapol.
At a higher price I assume. :(
Or perhaps may go a non-sound and a separate decoder and speaker.  Might be a nice package offer from a retailer.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 02:02:04 PM »
A very poor decision for their customers and retailers. Looks like cutting out the middle man to increase their share of the cake. What's next? Certain, popular, liveries only available direct?
Not good for the long term.

Offline Drakken

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Building Llanrumney
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 02:39:19 PM »
Not good overall but in my own personal experience some of the loco's I've bought from retailers in the past have been seriously badly packaged and maybe Dapol might be protecting their product by doing it themselves.

Might be thinking wrong but I'd rather buy from Dapol direct they make more money from the sale and keep them going to invest in new models than retailers take a wedge from them

I've only been disappointed with Dapol products bought from retailers anything direct has always been perfect

Just my humble opinion :beers:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 02:57:29 PM »

Might be thinking wrong but I'd rather buy from Dapol direct they make more money from the sale and keep them going to invest in new models than retailers take a wedge from them

As long as those new models are N gauge :hmmm:

Offline Drakken

• Building Llanrumney
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 03:03:59 PM »

As long as those new models are N gauge :hmmm:

I'm not going to be unrealistic but a decent spread between the gauges I'd be happy with ;) :beers:

Offline eddief83

• N Gauge Society Number: 27517
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 01:19:21 PM »
I suppose my preorder for a Class50 with sound via Hattons would now have to come from Dapol.
At a higher price I assume. :(
Or perhaps may go a non-sound and a separate decoder and speaker.  Might be a nice package offer from a retailer.

No, Dapol will honour existing orders for sound models from shops so yours is safe.

Online GWR-Kris

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 09:37:05 PM »
For me I can understand certain benefits cutting out suppliers, one there will be more money going to the manufacturer however if this is the case the price of the model should come down as they are cutting out the mark up retailers make, but I doubt they will somehow, strange that. Another benefit I see is that you wont get price wars so when you purchase your loco you don't see it cheaper else where.

Some disadvantages are people like to see the model or support their local shop for example. Will also mean if more of the range do this less turn over at retailers etc.

For me I am not bothered the Sound Fitted Dapol locos are way to expensive espically when you compare them to the Farish Castle and Class 40. Your far better just buying the DCC Ready and fitting your own,

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 10:14:56 PM »
I have had anecdotal stories of high returns of damaged shop opened sound locos (class 68), and there have certainly been a high number of discounted re-worked Dapol sound locos.

The view is that too many customers go into shops wanting to listen but not actually planning to buy, and this involves unpacking and repacking with consequential damage.

Having spoken to both Dapol and Farish at TINGS it appears that returns are the make/break statistic for their N product ranges.

Personally as long as they are all DCC chip fitted preferably with an inbuilt speaker, i'm happy to source my own Zimo sound chips.

Online GScaleBruce

• Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 10:20:45 PM »
Having spoken to both Dapol and Farish at TINGS it appears that returns are the make/break statistic for their N product ranges.
And the same reason was given by Maerklin for their decision to stop selling unchipped locomotives.
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 10:31:44 PM »
It could be that the modern locomotives are too fragile to be handled through retail channels.

The bit I did not add was the retailers were accepting and sending returns to them where the failure was actually customer damage caused by bad handling, and not a manufacturer fault.

I think the future will be that faulty models will need to be returned directly to manufacturers and if it is customer damage a charge will be levied.  The computer industry has been doing this for many years for the same reason. 

In the computer industry these days the manufacturer sends out a prepaid transport box for the return after a phone call to establish the fault is their or your cost.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 11:16:55 PM »
I think the future will be that faulty models will need to be returned directly to manufacturers and if it is customer damage a charge will be levied. 

Not if they still wish to comply with UK consumer law. When you purchase an item from a shop your contract is with the shop not the manufacturer. With extended/enhanced warranties it is different as these are provided by the manufacturer.

Exactly, that's why they are going to start selling the sound locos direct.

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 04:58:40 AM »
I doubt that Dapol will sell many sound-fitted locos direct. It will cost about GBP140 extra to buy a Class 50 sound-fitted from Dapol at full RRP compared to the base DCC sound-ready version bought from a retailer at 15% discount. A quality third party sound decoder costs less than GBP100 and should simply plug in.

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 07:38:53 AM »
Which is the route I will be going down with the IKB when it eventually appears, I already have the sound decoder blown ready to fit. Hope they stick to Q1 2019 for delivery

It was sitting around doing nothing after I sold my class 68 that had no place on my layout and was one of those whim purchases and nothing else next18 based is due soon so I had it blown ready.

I was going to save it for the Farish 8F but by all accounts, even though it was announced 4 years ago, it's still years away from delivery, so now have it ready for the Class 50 IKB
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal