!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Welcome to the NGF!  (Read 70706 times)

Offline Madann01

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Welcome to the NGF!
« Reply #645 on: December 10, 2018, 11:08:01 PM »
It's a dream, and I may have to do something else, I'm used to ripping everything up and starting again will spend the rest of the week deciding how to proceed, I will certainly have to compromise  just to get trains out of boxes and running.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #646 on: December 11, 2018, 12:33:22 AM »
the southern / east side of new street is complicated what with saltley / the approaches to new street what with the incline, curves, and landor street below -

suggest another easier loc ation sure someone will advise. i would aim simple first

Offline 9C

• Macclesfield (Hibel Rd, Central & MBM) 30 May 1941
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #647 on: January 01, 2019, 01:50:48 AM »
Hello all,

New Year, new start, new member.  :wave:

I'll dip my toe in a few threads once I've had a few hours nod.
--
David.

Can offer endless tips on design and research, but will probably be asking for return favours concerning craft skills and superglue removal.

99% LMS, 1% GC/NS joint.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #648 on: January 01, 2019, 02:04:01 AM »
G'day from Australia, David, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

Happy New Year!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #649 on: January 01, 2019, 09:29:07 AM »
'Eyup, David, and welcome to the forum (from another Lancastrian - there are several of us) :wave:
According to my Ian Allan books of the time 9C was Reddish depot, although no doubt that changed.
I look forward to hearing more about your plans in N such as space available, era/location, DC/DCC etc

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #650 on: January 01, 2019, 09:30:29 AM »
Welcome aboard.
Hopefully you will enjoy your time on the forum.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #651 on: January 01, 2019, 09:53:24 AM »
Welcome to the forum David. Once you have wet your toes, jump in!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #652 on: January 01, 2019, 11:45:41 AM »
Welcome @Madann01 and 9C
If it’s any help: over Christmas in a charity shop I found a set of books showing  1960s era BR track plans with diagrams for all stations. Happy to photograph any of interest and PM them to you. Would suit early diesel era modelling.

Also there are old OS maps available online mentioned in another thread https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39731.0

Happy New Year!
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline tunneroner61

• N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
« Reply #653 on: January 01, 2019, 12:23:18 PM »
Hi to 9C,

I note you have put Macclesfield Hibel Rd etc into your profile. Did you know that the Macclesfield MRG have/had a layout in N on just that place - Hibel Road, Central and the MB&M branch. I say had as I think they may have disposed of it due to lack of N gauge modellers in the club. I expect you are aware of the Foxline book on the place and one on the MB&M both by Basil Jeuda.

Happy modelling in 2019, Norman

Offline 9C

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #654 on: January 01, 2019, 10:38:10 PM »
Norman,

When I was first researching the layout, nearly 30 years ago, I visited Macclesfield and the local club on a few occasions. The members of the day were interested in the many opportunities that the compact site and company rivalries offered but were working on other (OO) layouts and had no-one interested in N. It seems that the kernel of suggestion stuck with someone and that my 25 year hiatus has allowed them to complete the project sooner.

If, once again, they have no N gauge modellers and wish to find a good home and caretaker, then we have sufficient space at 24A. If, unfortunately, it has been recycled then perhaps there may be photographs or construction notes (especially of the gas works) which would allow me to recreate it.

Edit: I have almost all of Basil's books plus others which show the stations and yards. One map source has a 1:1500 track plan which I have resized to 1:150 - as close to 21/16mm:1ft as most  N gauge models manage.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:44:11 PM by 9C »
--
David.

Can offer endless tips on design and research, but will probably be asking for return favours concerning craft skills and superglue removal.

99% LMS, 1% GC/NS joint.

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #655 on: January 01, 2019, 10:47:53 PM »
Hi David ( @9C ) and welcome aboard! :wave:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline 9C

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #656 on: January 01, 2019, 10:54:28 PM »
'Eyup, David, and welcome to the forum (from another Lancastrian - there are several of us) :wave:
According to my Ian Allan books of the time 9C was Reddish depot, although no doubt that changed.
I look forward to hearing more about your plans in N such as space available, era/location, DC/DCC etc
NN,

That must be post-war. The plan is for an analogue layout set at the junction of the (old) LNW, NS & GC territories in Macclesfield on 30 May 1941; which provides a main and branch, two stations, two loco/goods yards and appropriate scenic breaks within a club sized modular layout, but also the ability to put fiddles onto the ends of a 6' 6" by 3' 6" core module and run that alone.
--
David.

99% LMS, 1% GC/NS joint.

Offline tunneroner61

• N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
« Reply #657 on: January 01, 2019, 11:38:07 PM »
David,

I was a member of MMRG late 80s till 2005ish (sorry can't remember exactly). When I first joined the club had Marfield in N gauge which was widely exhibited until sold to the RAF Sealand club. That's when Macclesfield the layout was started - mid 1990s. There were half a dozen of us involved. Unfortunately it was a massive project probably 20' by 6' (again the mists of time) that got going quickly but got bogged down in the number of buildings  and the historical research needed to model them accurately. Personnal circumstances meant I stopped modelling for a while and left the club so I lost track of progress. I think much of the drive to complete it came from the late Ian Hibbert, but when he passed away unexpectedly enthusiasm was lost and work stopped. As far as I am aware the layout was never completed.

Why not contact the club via their website https://www.macclesfieldmrg.org.uk/. I know their chairman Shaun Horrocks and I am sure he would be most helpful to you. Interestingly this still lists the layout under club layouts so perhaps my previous assertion that it has been moved on is wrong.
Also I remember that Ken Ball built a model of the gas works so maybe he has plans still.

Norman

Offline 9C

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #658 on: January 02, 2019, 12:48:59 AM »
Norman,

We may well have met IRL in '88 or '89. I'd got as far as laying the double line from Hibel Road to the LNWR tunnel mouth scenic break and the points for the NSR loco shed lines when my marriage started to unravel. The baseboard somehow mysteriously disappeared shortly before the divorce, but I'd already taken my box of stock to my father and it survived. Moving, not only out of the house but out of London, finding a new job, marrying again, relocating again, divorcing again and the concurrent twenty years of irregular shifts put modelling to the back of my mind. Then, last year, my parents moved into a bungalow and that box of stock came out of the old house's loft....
--
David.

99% LMS, 1% GC/NS joint.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #659 on: January 02, 2019, 11:08:53 AM »

NN,

That must be post-war. The plan is for an analogue layout set at the junction of the (old) LNW, NS & GC territories in Macclesfield on 30 May 1941; which provides a main and branch, two stations, two loco/goods yards and appropriate scenic breaks within a club sized modular layout, but also the ability to put fiddles onto the ends of a 6' 6" by 3' 6" core module and run that alone.

Aha. Having been born in 1953 it was only when I got pocket money I could save up to buy the books so they start at 1963 and go onwards from there. I like the sound of your location/era but don't envy you sourcing stock as, owing to infirmity, I am firmly in the RTR camp.
I think this site is uneqalled when it comes to checking allocations to sheds or individual loco types....
http://www.brdatabase.info/index.php

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal