New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: point motor powering  (Read 157 times)

Offline smallick

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
point motor powering
« on: September 12, 2018, 09:39:02 PM »
OK so I am beginning to think about motorizing some points on my burgeoning layout, and I have a few quick questions!

So I am currently creating an analog layout, though I have plans to dcc it in future so I am keeping that in mind(i.e adding drop wires regularly as I add track.)  Not sure if I will digitize my points or not when I do move over to dcc.  There wont be many points on the layout 

So to my question.  With no definite point motors in mind (probably whatever I can find cheapest) I am thinking about how to power them.  I am currently using a Hornby R8250 so it has no way of powering anything else other than the track.  With the points I was thinking of using a cheap multi voltage plug off ebay.  Would that be ok?  Would probably look to add a capacitor discharge unit.  What sort of voltage do i need, think I need to look at either 12v or 16v does it need to be a particular voltage if I do add a cdu.

In a separate question I was thinking about using a similar multi voltage for powering lights etc as the multi voltage plus could be set to the correct voltage.  Good idea or bad?

Many thanks in advance.

Simon

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
Re: point motor powering
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 09:56:39 PM »
i used a 16v transformer and a cdu with seep points

to power my colour light signal i had a plug in transformer, that might have been originally for a laptop or something, i forget now...

not sure if that helps but good luck with it

tim

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 10:20:15 PM »
Whether or not you need a CDU depends on the point motors you install.  Solenoid types (Peco, Seep etc.) certainly benefit not only from teh thump of power but also the current limiting effect of the CDU once it has discharged (to avoid burning out a solenoid).  It's not needed with motor driven types or stall motor types (Conrad, DCC Concepts, Tortoise), not is it necessary with Kato.

If you're going for solenoids and a CDU then I'd suggest at least 16V to ensure a decent store of charge.  I actually run my points via individual CDUs with smaller capacitors but at around 22V.   The power supply for it doesn't have to be particularly high current, just sufficient to charge the CDU in reasonable time.

For your lights, it will depend whether you use LEDs or filament bulbs (the latter require more current). It will be easier if all your lights are designed for around the same input voltage (say 12-!5V) or fitted with suitable resistors.    You'll need to estimate the total current draw of all the lights.  Multi-voltage "wall wart" supplies  don't tend to be particularly high power, you might be better off looking for a redundant laptop power supply.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:21:26 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 12:07:10 AM »
When feeding a CDU, 16V ac (RMS) is commonly used, as many controllers have such an auxiliary output. The capacitor in the CDU charges to the peak ac voltage, not the RMS voltage and so if a dc supply is used, the equivalent is 22.6V dc. The nearest standard supply would be 24V dc.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything