New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: First layout plan - n gauge newbie!  (Read 485 times)

Offline Supertommymooney

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
First layout plan - n gauge newbie!
« on: September 12, 2018, 09:28:39 PM »
Hi all

Thought I'd post up the plan I've come up with after much messing around with the free version of Anyrail (which was fun before I even own a single piece of track).

The baseboard will be 1600mm x 950mm. I have gone for as big a radius curves as I can fit on; and all no. 6 points.

I might extend the track top spur to the left and have it 'disappear' off stage into a tunnel.

Any thoughts from more experienced forum members would be helpful.

Some questions that occur to me

1. Do I need space for the controller on the baseboard?
2. Are my points setups going work or too much like an s curve?
3. Am I too close to the edge of the board? (I will be putting some side and back boards on so the new layout owners little brother doesn't intervene accidentally)
4. Will two power feeds (DC layout) be enough, one to each loop? I think no. 6 Kato points are 'power routing' so should get current to all parts of the layout all the time
5. If I add a set of No. 4 points later to a spur and get a second loco, can I park one loco in each and then operate one at a time before 'parking' back on it's side of the point - then switch the point and use the oher loco? (This assumes the no. 4 points only have one side live at a time which I'd read)

Thanks all!

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
Re: First layout plan - n gauge newbie!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 09:52:32 PM »
hi

1. yes unless it is a handheld one

sorry i don't know anything about kato track

good luck

tim

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 10:20:08 PM »
Ref the controller, you could always make up an 'L' shaped shelf to attach to the layout framing and sit the controller on.
I don't know enough about Unitrack and its geometry but I'd replace the 20132 curve before the point for the lower sidings with a 20202 point as it would get rid of the reverse curve, give you longer sidings and maybe better running. You may need a small piece of curve before a 20202 point to make everything connect.
For UK outline, we drive on the left so the outer oval travels clockwise.

Offline Supertommymooney

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 11:16:57 PM »
Ref the controller, you could always make up an 'L' shaped shelf to attach to the layout framing and sit the controller on.
I don't know enough about Unitrack and its geometry but I'd replace the 20132 curve before the point for the lower sidings with a 20202 point as it would get rid of the reverse curve, give you longer sidings and maybe better running. You may need a small piece of curve before a 20202 point to make everything connect.
For UK outline, we drive on the left so the outer oval travels clockwise.

Thanks - I have had a play and due to the curve geometry have had to come up with something like this; which should help those points. Also looks a bit more interesting than a simple double loop.
Now close to the edge of my baseboard however but could either try and squeeze in a slightly bigger board or make the main loops a little shorter...

A controller shelf is a good option! (better than losing track space for sure)

I think both my loops would be clockwise running if I am imagining it right, due to the way the double crossover works.

STM

Offline Supertommymooney

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 09:13:17 PM »
Right, more playing on Anyrail.. .might have a try and see if I can make the entrance to the shunting yard work, if anyone has used Kato Unitrack and has tried similar that'd be good to know.

Have also managed to fit the controller (Plus point controls) on the board for now by making the main loops shorter.

Track not so close to the edge but quite close to the controller - compromises need to be made somewhere I guess!
STM

Offline Ditape

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 09:29:34 PM »
If you are going to be running steam engines I would swop the point and the short straight at the shunt yard entry just to avoid any possible problems with reverse curves, I would also try and fit a head shunt in to avoid having to use the main line for shunting operations.
Diane Tape

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 09:46:55 PM »
My thoughts for what they're worth.
As has been said change the point to a LH at the entrance to the shunting yard. Add a headshunt with the point just before the first siding. Remember the headshunt must be longer than the longest siding.
If you are running steam you need a runround at the station and there I would put the engine shed.
Are you running two lines or just one line that goes round twice? If it's two lines how does a train enter the station?
If you move the engine shed then the remaining line could be hidden behind a backscene and used as a "fiddle yard", ie.you could make up a train there to run to the station or yard and run a train from the station off scene to another part of the world!
There are so many permutations and ideas. Do what suits you, get the plan right and have years of enjoyment.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Supertommymooney

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 10:05:06 PM »
My thoughts for what they're worth.
As has been said change the point to a LH at the entrance to the shunting yard. Add a headshunt with the point just before the first siding. Remember the headshunt must be longer than the longest siding.
If you are running steam you need a runround at the station and there I would put the engine shed.
Are you running two lines or just one line that goes round twice? If it's two lines how does a train enter the station?
If you move the engine shed then the remaining line could be hidden behind a backscene and used as a "fiddle yard", ie.you could make up a train there to run to the station or yard and run a train from the station off scene to another part of the world!
There are so many permutations and ideas. Do what suits you, get the plan right and have years of enjoyment.

Thanks!

I am not sure what a headshunt is - will do some research.

The engine run around is a good idea. Unitrack is great but may be limiting, am trying to avoid the no. 4 points although some people find they aren't a problem by all accounts. Hopefully I can fit this in.

Will try moving the engine shed too, sounds sensible.

Changing the point at the start of the shunt yard to LH is what I am struggling to fit into the Kato geometry; the points are radius 481 and 718, my curves are 315 and 348.

I will only be running one train initially. Train would go around both loops in same direction (gives some play value for my son, single track wouldn't make a lot of difference but think I have room for both (and setting the double crossover to cross gives one longer run, inside then out).

Appreciate the help!

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 10:30:19 PM »
I'm not a Kato user so can't help with that problem. If you look at the goods yard imagine a siding going in the opposite direction from a point just before the first siding. This is called the headshunt. This siding is used when using the goods yard for shunting so keeping the mainline clear and also protecting it from wagons accidentally running onto the main line.
I hope that's clear, at this time of night my thought process is not at its best. :confused1:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Supertommymooney

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 11:20:38 PM »
I'm not a Kato user so can't help with that problem. If you look at the goods yard imagine a siding going in the opposite direction from a point just before the first siding. This is called the headshunt. This siding is used when using the goods yard for shunting so keeping the mainline clear and also protecting it from wagons accidentally running onto the main line.
I hope that's clear, at this time of night my thought process is not at its best. :confused1:

I think I am with you - have amended as shown.

I like the look of this although now I have many points! I might post on the unitrack section for advice on specific track parts.

Thanks again!

Offline Supertommymooney

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 05:08:15 PM »
Right, having consulted with my customer (/son) he is clear on what he's after, but hopefully I have fixed the main problems with the layout.

The headshunt is on hold at the start, but I have left space to add a no. 4 point in place of the straight shown. Not sure how long I can make it though.

We've talked about an engine run around. I can just about make this fit and could add later, but without the same elsewhere I can't see how it helps us (as trains still need to reverse somewhere or you end up the wrong way round for the shunt yard when you've switched over the loco to the other end).

Hoping there is nothing now that would derail things anyhow. Phew.

Offline Ditape

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 05:24:43 PM »
That looks promising.
Diane Tape

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 09:39:10 PM »
I like the way you've turned the oval through an angle. I prefer plan 1.3, perhaps that could be turned too? A run round in the station is necessary if you are running steam as the loco has to run round to couple up at the other end to leave. If you are running just DMUs or push pull diesels then it's not necessary.
Good luck with it, you'll certainly have fun.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £200.00
Above Goal: £145.00
Site Currency: GBP
364% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything