!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Aqua Magic and Liquitex Acrylic Paint Problems  (Read 304 times)

Offline Camster

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Aqua Magic and Liquitex Acrylic Paint Problems
« on: March 09, 2019, 02:42:49 PM »
To create a canal on a base made from extruded foam, it was intended to use Liquitex Basics Acrylic Paint on the foam and then pour Aqua Magic. 
Some test pours were made on foam squares with the Liquitex paint and also with a mixture of Liquitex and Wickes Emulsion paint.  Both tests developed linear deformities on drying and repeat testing showed the same result.
A similar problem has been posted on RMWeb with Aqua Magic used on Reeves Acrylic Paint here https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/132849-deluxe-materials-aqua-magic/

A test with Sculptamold as a base instead of bare foam showed no poblems with the Liquiitex paint and Aqua Magic but  because the paint was already applied to the base and the canal was modelled, I wanted to find a single pour water that would be compatible with Liquitex paint.  I didnt want to risk a 2-part water in case the heat of the cure would cause problems, being directly on the foam.  So I tested Liquitex Pouring medium and this seemed to be ok as an artificial water.

I used this Pouring medium to make the canal surface.  Because the base turned out to be not completely level, it took 5 days for the fluid to become transparent at the deeper end (at first it comes out white).  The label says it is non-yellowing, so I hope that it will be ok in the long term but we'll see...  I'm happy at the moment.

I thought this info worth recording here for anyone else in the same position.  I'll try to attach some pictures on a pdf file

Sandy
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 02:46:01 PM by Camster »

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal