!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Pipe/tube wagons  (Read 668 times)

Online belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
Re: Pipe/tube wagons
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 01:54:10 PM »
Those Peco wagons are getting on for fifty years old now but still have their place: nice crisp body mouldings, close coupled, free running and a good bit cheaper than the superdetailed Farish equivalents.  The 15 foot wagons came first, I think in 1968.  I believe they were originally designed by British Trix but Peco did a swap for the Mk1 coaches they had been working on.  Hence the hard nylon wheels which was a feature of Trix wagons at the time.  The grain wagon was a half-size version of the Trix OO gauge one and had a very accurate chassis with correct springs, brake gear etc:  all the other 15 foot models except the brake van had their dimensions butchered to fit the grain wagon chassis. The tube wagon is as others have said based on a Ferry Tube (rare beast in itself), but a bit shorter than it should be.  The underframe detail on the Peco model is a lot closer to a Ferry Tube than a standard Long Tube which is probably why Peco chose it.  The 10 foot wagons are a bit closer to scale although the 7 plank and mineral wagons should really be on 9 foot chassis and the cattle van only takes Dexter cattle due to being two feet shorter than it should be.

For my 30-35 wagon trains on "Stobs" I will mainly be using Peco 10 footers, either complete wagons or underframes with NGS kit bodies.  I don't think I could afford a train of that length using Farish models, nice though they are.

Richard

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 04:00:56 PM »

For my 30-35 wagon trains on "Stobs" I will mainly be using Peco 10 footers, either complete wagons or underframes with NGS kit bodies.  I don't think I could afford a train of that length using Farish models, nice though they are.

Nor me, but I'm just 'padding out' a pick up goods

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2020, 10:00:24 PM »
After some uncharacteristically slow service from Rails I finally have the wagons mentioned above.
Both look excellent, with the Peco weathered one looking suitably grimy - enough for me to think I could get away with it on my era 5 layout.................

Damn the camera - shows my track needs a clean :-[

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal