!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: minitrix or Fleischmann BR212 / V100  (Read 260 times)

Offline retica

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
minitrix or Fleischmann BR212 / V100
« on: August 29, 2018, 04:59:51 AM »
Hello, I am looking to buy a German DB BR212 / V100 either from minitrix or Fleischmann. Which one of these two manufacturers offers the better model ? Better as in better running, slower speed, better power pick-up ? Does any of these two manufacturer offer fly wheels in their BR212 ? I will use the model for a rebuild/repaint so I don't really care which one looks better or is more accurate, I only care for the running characteristics. Thanks for your help and input.

steve 

Offline GScaleBruce

• Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
Re: minitrix or Fleischmann BR212 / V100
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 09:03:50 AM »
The latest Minitrix ones are better. The Fleischmann variants use their older 3 pole motor without a flywheel, but bought new are much cheaper than Minitrix. The most recent Minitrix ones have a flywheel. Maybe worth looking on the Minitrix and Fleischmann websites, or on a retail site such as DM-Toys?
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 09:13:35 AM »
I have V100s from Fleishmann, Minitrix and Arnold.       

My favourite are the Minitrix models, even old ones from the 70s and 80s are fine performers.   

I find the motor on the Fleischmann model can become a bit weak over time, it's a slightly smaller motor than other Fl locos and I suspect it looses magnetism.    I've just been working on a dead one sent over by a german friend, it turns out the motor had melted! He's going to try and find a 2nd hand replacement (new motors for these are 50-60 euros)

I can't remember a flywheel in any of my Fl or Mx V100s, but I believe current Minitrix models have a different motor with a flywheel formed as part of the worm at one end.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 11:59:20 AM »
Thank you both for your input. I just bought a 2nd hand minitrix one on ebay for Euro 38 including shipping to NZ. I do not expect a miracle for that price but I saw the model has brass gears and with some fine tuning it should be perfect for my needs. And should it turn out to be a lemon I can always resell it here as New in box, hardly used, rare item  :dunce:

steve

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 11:59:20 PM »
As with many Fleischmann model, their V100 tends to be a bit fickle, compared to the more 'robust' style of chassis from Minitrix and Arnold
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline D9020 Nimbus

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 04:33:33 PM »
I have V100s from all three makers. IMHO the latest Minitrix models are the best. I've had three Fleischmann models—two second hand; on one of these the motor burned out but the older one is OK. Also a new DCC-fitted 212 which is fine.

I've had two "old" (pre-1989 "made in Western Germany") Arnold models which have both developed a loud clicking noise as they move, like Farish "split gears" although both still work in both directions. No "new" Arnold however.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 05:47:52 PM »
I've had two "old" (pre-1989 "made in Western Germany") Arnold models which have both developed a loud clicking noise as they move, like Farish "split gears" although both still work in both directions. No "new" Arnold however.

Probably split gears, unless these are the version with Simplex auto-coupling lifter mechanism?  If so they will click every revolution when running as the lifting spring runs off the cam.  Although it's a clever mechanism the clicking annoys me so I remove the spring.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything