!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Suggestion - Metro-Vick Class 28 Co-Bo  (Read 4233 times)

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Wembley here come.... again!
    • Awards
Re: Suggestion - Metro-Vick Class 28 Co-Bo
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2018, 09:32:51 AM »
Thank you!

Problem solved!

Well sort of.... just reminding me how old I am.  :worried:

Spent the early seventies at university and model railways got a wee bit neglected  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2018, 10:37:35 AM »
I would have thought that the general idea amongst N Gauge modellers would be to share information from basic principles to completed ideas rather than just present a final derivative.

I certainly didn't set out to offend anyone. However I understand Facebook is the sort of place that everyone is offended by anything anyone says unlike my perception of this forum generally!

Don't worry, not in the least offended, I can't imagine anyone was. No need for the dig at Facebook users. The problem you have is that there are myriad places to have these discussions, each with their own merit, and if someone has already done all the sharing of principles and working of ideas somewhere else then why would they start again when what they have is already an advanced design, with input and feedback from people somewhere else.

We already see people saying "see my reply on Facebook/RMWeb/in the Telegraph" where there's cross posting, this is just symptomatic of the same. It's not a bad thing IMO, we just have loads of places to discuss stuff, which is great!

Let's just hope the stupid pricing changes Shapeways have introduced today don't screw it all up! I've read that stuff is now far cheaper if you rotate it around the Z-axis, which means the print lines would run vertically not longitudinally, a shame when the OP has done a lot of work mitigating their impact.

Offline Chuffington

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2018, 10:53:46 AM »
Hornby-Dublo did indeed make a Co-Bo but this loco featured on the front cover of a Tri-ang Hornby catalogue in the 1960's when they used artwork by Terence Cuneo I think it was.

Triang-Hornby catalogue number 18 from 1972 had the Co-Bo on the cover

Steven B.

That's the one  :thumbsup:
Didn't realize it was as late as 1972 !

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2018, 03:33:15 PM »
Photos of the 2nd 3D print after sanding and undercoating

Gareth has seen a few print lines in the natural daylight which he say's isn't a problem to resolve.

:thankyousign:

Mark, what type of plastic did you order your prints in please? I wish to order 2 but am not sure which one you used.

Regards,

Alex

Offline mark100

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2018, 09:42:26 PM »
Photos of the 2nd 3D print after sanding and undercoating

Gareth has seen a few print lines in the natural daylight which he say's isn't a problem to resolve.

Mark, what type of plastic did you order your prints in please? I wish to order 2 but am not sure which one you used.

Regards,

Alex
I ordered the Smoothest fine detail plastic.

The 2nd shell was a different finish with deeper print lines compared to the first shell, but we seem to have got a flat surface on that now. Nothing gets done on Mondays, so some progress on both should be made this week.

These are not a A.E.M kit btw, I just wanted 1 for myself and had seen that persons other work and asked him to consider doing it. a few months later I got a email saying take a look at this.

You cant get better than a Betta Fish

Offline BramptonBranch

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2018, 07:14:34 PM »
Well I have the body shell now I need someone to paint it for me!

Suggestions welcome,3D prints seem to put folk off.

Andy

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2018, 11:53:39 PM »
In answer to the question earlier in the thread here are two chassis being prepared for the Shapeways body.

The hatched areas will need cut back 1mm on the sides and the end will need to be cut off completely to fit the body.  The body also needs the six tabs cut away on the inside.  Also if you are using the Farish Pool Class 31 and 20 chassis and bogies the Shapeways side frames wont work as the wheel spacing is different.

There is plenty of space for DCC sound and you can see I have already wired the motor brushes for this.

One other point is that the Class 31 bogie tower is marginally taller than the Class 20 so the chassis is 1mm higher at one end.  this is allowed for in mounting the chassis in the body and does not affect the running.

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2018, 10:29:28 PM »
the bodies for the 2 that I am building arrived on Friday, but Disaster! one was damaged, so I emailed Shapeways and a replacement is on  its way, one chassis is complete but requiring  modification a la Snowwolflair, I just need to get my hands on another class 31 chassis of the right sort.

Regards,

Alex

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2018, 02:06:03 AM »
I need to get my mill out to cut the sides away and the sound chips arrived on Friday.  If my two and your two and Bobs one turn up at a running day we will almost have the complete fleet.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2018, 09:33:46 AM »
Snowwolflair
I will bring my Co Bo again if I come to the next running day but even though mine was built and painted by Ian Stoate Iím sure yours will be much better especially with sound , if you can get the distinctive sound they made.
Bob Tidbury

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2018, 10:55:54 AM »
If my two and your two and Bobs one turn up at a running day we will almost have the complete fleet.

That's 2Ĺ 'Condors' worth, providing they run OK and windows don't drop out! :laugh:

Offline mark100

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2018, 05:45:00 PM »
Our model maker noticed an error on the 3D print today.

The Disc mounting brackets are in the wrong place on 1 end.

I have messaged the person who designed it, but if anyone has purchased, you maybe able to make a claim or if you are planning to purchase one. it maybe worth waiting until the drawing has been corrected.

I think Gareth who has painted mine is planning to slice these off tomorrow and locate them in the correct area and he will then have to do some fine painting on the areas where they were removed from.

Mark

Offline mark100

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2018, 05:55:31 PM »
Mine is nearly done

I'm just waiting for the correct length bogies to be done and battery box

Offline mark100

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2018, 06:10:06 PM »
In answer to the question earlier in the thread here are two chassis being prepared for the Shapeways body.

The hatched areas will need cut back 1mm on the sides and the end will need to be cut off completely to fit the body.  The body also needs the six tabs cut away on the inside.  Also if you are using the Farish Pool Class 31 and 20 chassis and bogies the Shapeways side frames wont work as the wheel spacing is different.

There is plenty of space for DCC sound and you can see I have already wired the motor brushes for this.

One other point is that the Class 31 bogie tower is marginally taller than the Class 20 so the chassis is 1mm higher at one end.  this is allowed for in mounting the chassis in the body and does not affect the running.

You may need not do machine or cut all that metal, apparently BH Enterprises do a Class 58 kit and that has thinned down bogie retaining blocks, someone contacted us on Facebook and said they may fit the Class 31 chassis.

It maybe worth looking into those and see if BH Enterprises will sell them loose

Mark

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2018, 06:16:07 PM »
Mine is nearly done

I'm just waiting for the correct length bogies to be done and battery box

The Shapeways bogie sides for the 6 wheel bogie do not match the wheel positions of the Farish bogies but might be acceptable.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here