!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Suggestion - Metro-Vick Class 28 Co-Bo  (Read 3648 times)

Offline Chuffington

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Suggestion - Metro-Vick Class 28 Co-Bo
« on: August 26, 2018, 12:48:31 PM »
Bit of an oddball loco but it does not appear to have been done in N gauge - a glaring omission - maybe some enterprising manufacturer would like to take up the challenge ?

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: Suggestion - Metro-Vick Class 28 Co-Bo
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 01:37:32 PM »
Bit of an oddball loco but it does not appear to have been done in N gauge - a glaring omission - maybe some enterprising manufacturer would like to take up the challenge ?

It's a great idea, but as Harold Wilson said about George Brown's resignation letters, "Put it on the pile with all the others."

In terms of pros, the following seem obvious:
  • Characterful prototype sure to invoke Rule 1 for many hobbyists.
  • Besides 10-11 years in mainline service, one operated as an RTC loco for a year or two in the late 1960s on the 'Trib Train' (1968-1969, I believe) and another few years as some sort of train heating unit (until about 1979/1980, I think).
  • D5705 is preserved, making the loco viable for preserved railway as well as transition-era layouts.
  • Relatively small range of liveries with only minor variations between locos.

However, the following may be insurmountable obstacles:
  • Short lifespan and predominantly a north-of-England loco with minimal use in the West or South.
  • Chassis is unique, so can't simply be plonked onto an existing design.
  • The front windows were changed at some point around 1960/1961, from wrap-around glass as built to more traditional flat glass panes with thicker pillars at the edges of the cab. This means the BR blue or green with yellow panels models will need different cabs to the as-built green with no warning ones models.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline GScaleBruce

• Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 04:07:40 PM »
It's been debated several times before: www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31695 and www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29781. And I'd still like one, or maybe two...
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 04:49:19 PM »

It's a great idea, but as Harold Wilson said about George Brown's resignation letters, "Put it on the pile with all the others."

In terms of pros, the following seem obvious:
  • Characterful prototype sure to invoke Rule 1 for many hobbyists.
  • Besides 10-11 years in mainline service, one operated as an RTC loco for a year or two in the late 1960s on the 'Trib Train' (1968-1969, I believe) and another few years as some sort of train heating unit (until about 1979/1980, I think).
  • D5705 is preserved, making the loco viable for preserved railway as well as transition-era layouts.
  • Relatively small range of liveries with only minor variations between locos.

Semi-seriously: it's also a character ("Boco") in the Thomas the Tank Engine books (one of the original ones too).
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 05:11:25 PM »
I plumped for the DJM Class 17 Clayton twin pack (powered + dummy) and was hugely disappointed when it got shelved.
I would go for the same of the class 28 if someone did a green pack (preferably weathered)

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 05:48:06 PM »
It was available as a resin kit once from Ian Stoate Models (aka the ferret from Frome) but he's not sold them for many a year. You could always ask at East Somerset Models if any survived. They were intended for a UK production Farish class 25 chassis with a class 31 bogie replacing one of the 25s.

HTH
Bob

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 08:36:17 PM »
I have got one made by Ian Stoat and painted by him it is actually a mix of brass and white metal  it runs well ,When I first converted the chassis it kept shorting out , it was fine if you just put wires to the wheels but as soon as it was on the track it shorted .
I found out that Farish bogies were marked one end with a coloured dot and the other end was blank ,I had two bogies with white dots ,as soon as we changed one bogie the chassis ran like a dream and still is .
The real ones pulled a freight train and if I remember were two stroke Diesel engines and made a very distinct sound.
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 04:21:14 PM by Bob Tidbury »

Offline carderrail

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 08:57:35 PM »
It was available as a resin kit once from Ian Stoate Models (aka the ferret from Frome) but he's not sold them for many a year. You could always ask at East Somerset Models if any survived. They were intended for a UK production Farish class 25 chassis with a class 31 bogie replacing one of the 25s.

HTH
Bob

It has been over 10 years since the ISM range was discontinued and there are no complete kits available (so please don't call/email ESM!) - they were not resin but brass and white metal and could be a tricky build.

Regards

Tony

Offline carderrail

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 09:03:31 PM »
I would love to see one of these RTR but wonder if 1000+ orders could be put together to make it viable, the 21/29 didn't make it and that could be a guide.

I wonder if odd chassis requriements of the Co-Bo may push the price up as well as two bogies will have to be designed/built.

An interesting one though.. I suspect somebody will sort out a resin or printed body and find a more modern suitable chassis than the old Farish 25/20 pairing.

Tony

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 09:08:23 PM »
it would be great

i think it is more interesting (just because it is odd) than the 21/29 so suspect it would attract more interest....  but whether it could get 1000 people to sign up i'm not so sure...

anyway start a kick starter for it and i'll sign up!

tim

Offline Chuffington

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 09:18:28 PM »
What sort of 's is required to get something like this going ?
Minimum production number ?

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 07:03:10 PM »

HTH
Bob

It has been over 10 years since the ISM range was discontinued and there are no complete kits available (so please don't call/email ESM!) - they were not resin but brass and white metal and could be a tricky build.

Regards

Tony

Blimey - that long? And how my memory has faded. Could have sworn they were resin. Probably confused with Parkwood kits.
Bob

Offline grid078

• N Gauge Society Number: 11150
    • Suffolk and North Essex area group of the N-Gauge Society
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 07:38:36 PM »
I thought in my dim and distant memory that silver fox had made one, with a class 31/20 bogie combination, but I could be wrong.

Regards Stuart

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 07:47:14 PM »
blue / grey era diesels / electrics and suitable stock

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 08:19:24 PM »
I thought in my dim and distant memory that silver fox had made one, with a class 31/20 bogie combination, but I could be wrong.

Regards Stuart

That was my recollection too, the resin one was Silver Fox, used a Class 20 chassis with a Class 31 bogie one end.

A thread about this loco was created a while back when it was suggested as a possibility for crowdfunding by RevolutioN: -

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31695.msg361609#msg361609

Since then the Class B Tanks have been made and mostly delivered from all accounts after a slow start they have done amazingly (nearly 4000 made I understand). So, coupled with the slowdown of new models being announced by the "Big 2" and long delays on those that have been announced being delivered, maybe there is now a space in the market for a model such as the Co-Bo?

It will be interesting to learn what RevolutioN are planning as their next (and Mike H said to be powered) Transition model coming after the Sturgeon - I wonder if we will find out at TINGS??

Roy

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here