!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: North Derbyshire Raliways  (Read 6764 times)

Offline trevis

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: North Derbyshire Raliways - It begins
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2019, 04:57:53 AM »
Metcalfe scaling does seem to vary a wee bit.  Having said that, so do the resin buildings from Hornby and Farish.

Paddy

The Farish buildings are a completely different scale to Metcalfe in the ones I have. I have only gone Farish for the colliery buildings because they did such great pit heads. But if you put one close by a Metcalfe shed or the like, as you can see above, they are completely dwarfed.  :D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 05:01:10 AM by trevis »

Offline trevis

• Awards
If a Trees Falls in the Forest
« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2019, 02:21:18 PM »
So for the past few days it has been all about trees and ballast. I was starting to think there was a distinct lack of life in the landscape and only trees, shrubs and grass will solve the problem. I have been using a range of methods, but starting out with the Woodland Scenics bendable branches. Primarily because it is a reasonably large amount of countryside and the WS trees come in a pack of 100-odd stems.

I started out using a few of the bush mixes, which created something of quite Australian looking trees (to me at least). Lots of branch with little tufts at the end of each. This progressed onto a very bushy cheap artshop diorama mix, which provided a much fuller clumpy tree (if not a little too green). And then onto the lichen mixes, both in autumn and light green, which offer quite wispy and very full trees. If nothing else I am starting to provide some life to the barren wastelands. At the moment I am using the little bases on the trunks so I can position things around, with the intent of pulling them off once I am settled and sticking them directly into the base cloth.

Who knows I might even get enthusiastic enough to start bending wire and creating the from scratch, but for the moment its more about quantity and filler. I reckon I am still a few hundred short  :worried:

Offline trevis

• Awards
The aging of enlightenment
« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2019, 02:39:19 AM »
As with many things in this hobby I tend to procrastinate undertaking things I have not done previously, not for lack of intent, but rather from fear of getting it wrong. And it so it is with weathering. But, into the breach and all that, what. I took a quick YouTube tour to examine the variety of methods on offer. As a pseudo-artist I already have a bit of this and that around the house, so I was most attracted to the creation of weathering powder from pastels, which I have in abundance already. I suspect buying ready-made specific weathering powders from Tamiya and the like would have become a much more costly business.

And so, I picked on a small building that sits up the back of the layout and gave it a crack. Firstly, before any weathering I did my best to colour out the dreaded Metcalfe white edges.

I grabbed my pastels and shaved off some grains of appropriate colours, in black, brown, rust and white, took to it with my stibble brush.

By dabbing the brush into the dust and giving it some welly on the surface of the cardboard I was able to adequately transfer the dirt, trying to get a random pattern of varying shades.

Once happy I sprayed it with pastel fixative to ensure the chalk didn't fall off over time.

So, this all left me with my first effort. I am relatively happy that I didn't completely ruin a perfectly good model. Not sure whether I have been too subtle, or whether I could have gone a bit harder. However, it definitely looks better than when I started, so I count that as a success  :D (Unsure what's happening with that doorframe, it doesn't look like that in reality)

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2019, 04:39:45 AM »
Looks good to me!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2019, 05:02:13 AM »
thats a superb little structure

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2019, 09:34:50 AM »
That looks very good (and thanks for showing which fixative you use)
Trouble is now, either the windows look too pristine or you have a superb window cleaner doing his rounds :D

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2019, 10:12:10 AM »
As a matter of interest, is that a standard Metcalfe model, or a kitbash?

NewportNobby's comment about the windows drew my attention a little closer.

Looking at size of the doors compared to the windows, it is reminiscent of schools I used to teach at in NE England!

Just curious  ;)

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2019, 10:18:47 AM »
Agree with mick and bealman there. Superb modelling

Offline trevis

• Awards
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2019, 11:18:01 AM »
As a matter of interest, is that a standard Metcalfe model, or a kitbash?

Nope,  just a stock part of the twin track engine shed kit.

Offline trevis

• Awards
It's all about Barney (Rubble that is)
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2019, 11:00:49 AM »
Not a highly exciting update, unless ballast gets you going. Thought it was time to give it a go and see what damage I could do. I had purchased some Legacy Ballast from DCC Concepts a long while back for just such an occasion. That was when Richard was based in Western Australia and the shop was about 20 minutes from my house. Unfortunately he has now re-emigrated back to the UK and moved DCC with him to Settle (right next to the train station I believe). So, a more expensive business once my supply runs dry...

I have a couple of different colours, the black for the slow/parking areas such as stations, sidings and yards, and the lighter colour for the long runs. My basis for this is the steam era was dirty and dingy around the former, more so than a lot of people like to remember such as the nostalgia of my dad's reminiscences.

I ran a line of ballast across the tracks, then using a lining brush tried to corral the many errant granules, before spraying a PVC/water mix 1:2 ratio over the top. I did give it a squirt of dish washing liquid the first time to break the tension, but found it really wasn't necessary. After 24 hours it had set like concrete and a quick clean of the rails and flicking away a grain here and there seemed to do the job.

Interestingly, there were little patches here and there that hadn't taken the liquid and so a few drops were needed with greater accuracy after the fact. Probably my aim was a bit off. I did find that I got more accurate and fine tuned with each section, so you can definitely see a few bits where some retrograde action is required.

For the transitions between dark ballast and light ballast I ran over a few inches of light with a watered down black paint which increasingly added some grime and nicely blended the two sections. I did try mixing the two together in my first effort (between Langwith pit and station), but it didn't quite work as well as I liked, and the paint version did a better job.

All in all not bad and I suspect it will start to really take shape once some bushes and fences along the side start to appear.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 11:02:38 AM by trevis »

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2019, 11:09:36 AM »
Good ballasting job. :thumbsup:

The ballast does seem to be a bit coarse though. What brand is it?

Oh, sorry... Legacy. Sorry, but I've never heard of it!

I hate ballasting, and you've done a good job.  :thumbsup:

Offline trevis

• Awards
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2019, 11:34:38 AM »
Pretty sure it is the home brand of DCC Concepts. Definitely the N Gauge version though   :)

Looks Ok to me in situ.

Quote from: Bealman
link=topic=42224.msg582276#msg582276 date=1564913376
Good ballasting job. :thumbsup:

The ballast does seem to be a bit coarse though. What brand is it?

Oh, sorry... Legacy. Sorry, but I've never heard of it!

I hate ballasting, and you've done a good job.  :thumbsup:

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2019, 03:16:57 PM »
@trevis - looks really good, I like the way you blended the ballast, good tips, and great photos.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2019, 03:31:26 PM »
seconded

Offline trevis

• Awards
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2019, 03:39:50 PM »
Cheers. I'm not actually convinced by the blending, so it's good to get a second opinion. In another section I have just gone for a straight cutover and then used a black paint wash to achieve the blend. Unsure of the better choice at the moment. More trial is required.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
December Donations

Advertise Here