!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: North Derbyshire Raliways  (Read 6386 times)

Offline trevis

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: North Derbyshire Raliways - It begins
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2019, 08:53:23 AM »
Were they metcalfe buildings or scratchbuilt

All Metcalfe, but a little bit of titivation to things like signage where required.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2019, 09:04:49 AM »
Simply realistic townscape.

Offline trevis

• Awards
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2019, 02:50:37 PM »
New Bolsover Station starting to look a little more lived in.

Interesting how Metcalfe have changed some of their kits over the past few years. For example the low relief terrace housing now has round doors instead of square, while the Country Station is now unchanged in just about every aspect except dimensions, the building is now demonstrably larger, even though the design is the same. Sometimes it helps, adding a bit of variety to the layout, and other times it can be annoying when you are trying to match up areas.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2019, 08:34:35 PM »
Interesting how Metcalfe have changed some of their kits over the past few years. For example the low relief terrace housing now has round doors instead of square

Have they taken Middle Earth as inspiration? ;)

Offline trevis

• Awards
Shedding the shackles
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2019, 11:24:12 AM »
I needed something to help in the top corner of the layout at the Langwith Pit. Part of my cunning plan to hide the hole that leads to the back of layout rail run. Just fitting the bill was the Metcalfe Single Engine Shed. I have to say I was more than pleasantly surprised. I reckon this is a new design, it is much more solid, and a few more details that are missing in a lot of their of the models - like the relief window sills & lintels and the triple relief window casements.

I have also added a simple Goods through shed to the Langwith Junction yards. This one was more by default as I put it into the pit to start, but it just didn't work. I didn't realise it was a drive thru to start with, which doesn't help on a terminating line... Might end up somewhere else.

And to cap it all off, not only is it a long weekend, 26C and clear, tomorrow I'm off to the WA Model train show. Just living the dream  :D

Offline maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2019, 01:07:02 PM »
I spent most of November in South East Europe trotting around Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovakia indulging my photographic hobby. With a trusty rail pass of course, no better way to travel. Saw many stations of note, like this one in Dresden and the decaying but majestic Keleti in Budapest.

We did a similar rail tour last September. Budapest Station is something of a temple to steam:

featuring Stephenson and Watt beside its entrance:

Mike

« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 03:05:30 PM by maridunian »
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Offline trevis

• Awards
High on a hill lived a lonely...
« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2019, 02:10:04 PM »
Starting to progress a few more details that have always been less important until now - learning how to build trees, lay down ballast and glue down the station buildings. But, first things first. The old church was a little hidden away up against the edge support of the layout. It was never going to be easy to take nice pics, or feature it at shows.

And so I reached for the foam cutter and started to melt my mountain into shape. A couple of years ago I moved into a new house and had to buy a heap of new stuff (best not to dwell on the details of why). Even though my layout was still laying in dust in a storage unit for the previous 3 years, I had the foresight to collect every bit of polystyrene that was packed in with said "stuff". Great decision TC. Even though most of my terrain is plaster cloth and wire the foam is now coming into its own to do the fine, more precise shapes and detail.

A long around way of saying, St Cuthbert's on the Mount is rising out of the dirt to its rightful place closer to the almighty. Still has placeholder groundcover and once the glue joining the two bits together is set, it will receive it's textured paint. I kinda like the way it now provides a cutting into Bolsover Station curve.

As for the ballast, that is something I haven't wanted to do, because it looks like a messy thing to correct if it goes wrong, not to mention to potential of screwing with my points. So, I picked a far flung corner between station and pit and gave it a whirl. Seems to have come out OK, bit hard to tell until the rest of the grass and soil, fences and stuff are in situ. I am thinking that back in the days of steam the darker, grungy ballast makes more sense, especially around stations and yards. And perhaps fading to a lighter, cleaner mix for the long country sections.

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2019, 04:12:46 PM »
That is looking very pretty! Like the church on it's hill and the cut down foam embankment. You mentioned a hot wire cutter - I found a few on ebay - but before I take the plunge - anything I should look out for / be wary of?

The one on ebay looks a bit like a horseshoe with a wire across the prongs...

Offline trevis

• Awards
« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2019, 01:03:10 AM »
That is looking very pretty! Like the church on it's hill and the cut down foam embankment. You mentioned a hot wire cutter - I found a few on ebay - but before I take the plunge - anything I should look out for / be wary of?

The one on ebay looks a bit like a horseshoe with a wire across the prongs...

Mine is a cheap and nasty one, worth about $20. However, given all they are is a hot wire they don't need to be too complex. Some things to look for: the widest possible distance between the two prongs, as this determines the thickest piece of foam you can cut without fiddling around. Mine is adjustable, but it is set at the widest and I never alter it; has a power connection - these things chew through batteries (like, dead in minutes). Mine had the connector and I bought a multi voltage adapter for an electronics shop and set it to the highest rating for the cutter (6V); An on/off switch on the handle is really useful too as it allows you to quickly put down the cutter and flick back and forth with worrying about a) burning yourself, b) burning the house down or c) faffing a the power point. Also you will likely go through filaments quicker if you just leave it on.

They are pretty simple. I certainly wouldn't be paying exhorbitant amounts for the Woodland Scenics branded version or similar.

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2019, 03:43:41 PM »
Many thanks!  :thankyousign:

Offline trevis

• Awards
The Path to Enlightenment
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2019, 02:30:37 AM »
Work continues apace on the church, with artisans and craftsmen all throwing their time and effort in around the clock to reach the parish demands.

The groundwork was finally finished offering a nice solid, level foundation. A coat or two of textured paint, plus some judicious sponging of a slightly darker brown, brought it into line with the rest of the camouflaged surrounds. Followed by seeding the first round of turf. Even though I have been collecting containers of it for a couple of years, it's the first time I have actually got to the point where I can crack it open. Trepidatious, but relatively successful. I was perhaps a tad overly cautious and went with about three parts glue to one part water  ;D  At least it didn't all blow away at the first passing breeze...

Then in went the road, although it is taking an age to dry out now winter has arrived. The others so far have generally been ready within a few hours, but this one is twenty four hours and still soft. But it hasn't stopped progression, with some more undergrowth and turf in a variety of mixes, a bit fencing, and the start of something that actually tells me I might not be a complete numpty when it comes to modelling. The first bit of the layout that I think really gets anywhere even close to looking done. Lots to go of course, cemetery, power, finish the road, etc. but a hint of a sign of a whiff of maybe, sort of something reasonable.

Oh, and I have just noticed the old wooden cross has suffered a little in the works. I shall have to get the maintenance crew in to work their magic.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2019, 02:43:29 AM »
Looking good!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2019, 03:39:29 AM »
you have certainly captured the stonework well

Offline trevis

• Awards
Rocky Road
« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2019, 01:01:01 PM »
So in the midst of a wet chilly winter I have set to on some simple tasks, away from buildings. Trees, roads and walls are the order of the day. It seems I have done nothing but glue foliage on trees for the past few weeks. However, today's topic is the work of the weekend, rough stone walls.

Much like the hedges I gave a go at awhile back I have based my walls on strips of scourer sponge. But now I learned a few little lessons that made things a little more successful - at least I think so. Still some refinement to go, but so cheap I can try, try again. Probably only work out at less than 10c per strip.

The first time around I soaked the strips in glue, but because they are porous they soaked it up and took forever to dry. For the walls I coated them in textured paint first to seal them off. I am amazed how much use I am getting out of my textured paint, seems appropriate for everything. So I highly recommend it, even though it might be a bit expensive, it does go a long way. This gave me a nice hard shell, but still left the strip flexible.

Then, because the walls are to be grey stone I painted the strips with a dark grey topcoat so anything that showed through wouldn't be too obvious.

For my stonework I have gone with a fine aquarium stone. Cover the strips in PVC glue and sprinkle over. This took a bit of time as I could only do one side at a time, then await drying. Turn, glue, sprinkle, wait... After the stones were all on I did the tops in a mixed green fine turf for a bit of mossiness. Still very bendy, and keep their shape once bent. The little bit of scourer left showing is the bit I could hang on to as I worked. Last thing to do was to chop that little green bit off.

Now, on first inspection I could say the stones would be better placed if I could guarantee them to lay horizontal, rather than as they fall, but at that size it's a bit of a job, other than placing them one at a time with tweezers  :confused1: Likewise, maybe the stones could be fractionally smaller.

All in all when placed loose to get a sense of effect I think they are a good start. We can always get better of course.

Online Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2019, 05:30:31 PM »
Metcalfe scaling does seem to vary a wee bit.  Having said that, so do the resin buildings from Hornby and Farish.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbMLEwYTXc6fdwur2wOb0LA/videos

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP