!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Oxcott [Thames valley 1989/Network SouthEast]  (Read 7767 times)

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
Re: Oxcott [Thames valley 1989/Network SouthEast]
« Reply #150 on: June 24, 2019, 11:20:09 AM »
If you want to see the outcome of Fast Tracks jigs for 2mm FS flat bottom then Google for pictures of Ketton Cement in 2mm FS.  Martin who built it used some jigs from Fast Tracks to build the point work, though IIRC he used bullhead crossing angles rather than FB. FB tends to have more "exotic" angles and much longer point work.

Cheers Mike

Offline jamespetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: July 02, 2019, 12:02:25 AM »
Some further progress in laying the fiddle yard:

Fiddle yard progress by James Petts, on Flickr

I am running out of track pins, so I shall not be able to finish the sidings at the lower of the picture until some more arrive.

Edit: Incidentally, I tried to look for "Ketton Cement", but had trouble finding pictures of the layout as opposed to the real cement works...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 12:13:35 AM by jamespetts »

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #152 on: July 02, 2019, 02:43:18 AM »

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: July 02, 2019, 08:52:32 AM »
I thought my fiddle yard was big ,but now it seems very small compared to yours James ,that is really big .
How many trains will you be able to store when itís finished and how big is your layout please .
Bob Tidbury

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: July 02, 2019, 09:42:33 AM »
Amazing!  Just tell me when I can come round with my NSE stock.....!   :smiley-laughing:

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2019, 09:51:45 AM »
planning a forum members open day james?

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: July 02, 2019, 11:37:20 AM »
Thank you for the link - the track on the Ketton layout does look good (as 2mm finescale track usually does).

A forum members' open day? That is an interesting idea. It may be a while before the layout is ready for that, however; I will have to:

(1) finish laying the fiddle yard track;
(2) add droppers for the fiddle yard track (a large job); and
(3) add servo point motors for the fiddle yard track (including assembling lots and lots of Dingo mounts - another large job)

in order to finish the basic fiddle yard work. I will then need to consider whether to lay the scenic area track (and, if so, whether to try to build some of the main line points myself from jigs or just use the British Finescale bullhead points), and then at some point lay and wire that track and motorise the points.

Also at some point before adding any signals or scenery, I will have to add the baseboards, track and all wiring for the planned 00 gauge layout to go on top of this layout (see the upper bracket visible in the above picture), as accessing underneath the 00 gauge layout for the wiring may well be liable to damage signals and scenery on this N gauge layout. Some of the track that I need for the 00 gauge layout has not even been released yet (the latest from Peco suggests that it is anticipated sometime this autumn - interestingly, around the same time as some are predicting the Dapol class 50s, of which I will need several for this layout), so I do suggest not waiting with too eager anticipation for the scenic completion of this layout.

Edit: I forgot to answer Bob's questions. The layout is circa 7.5m long and circa 0.9m wide at its widest point (it gets narrower part of the way down). The fiddle yard contains 12 sidings for locomotives, 13 sidings for multiple units, 5 sidings for either locomotives or multiple units, 4 roads for short trains, 1 road for a medium length train and 26 roads for long trains. The long train roads are circa 2m in length. The short train roads are circa 1m in length. The multiple unit sidings can accommodate 3 car DMUs, and at least half of them can accommodate 4 car DMUs.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 11:45:48 AM by jamespetts »

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #157 on: July 02, 2019, 12:30:10 PM »
Thank you james. Looks good. Reason i asked was a few of us meet at bobs to exchange ideas, run locos, build scenics, do wiring. And have fun. Good luck with your project. Chris
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 03:52:44 PM by crewearpley40 »

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: July 02, 2019, 03:38:34 PM »
Having previously put the cat among the proverbial pigeons on your track Iím loathe to do it again, but 2m sounds short for the Ďlongí roads in your fiddleyard. A layout like yours is absolutely crying out for a 56 on a 36-wagon MGR train, but IIRC thatís about 8í, or nearer 2.8m with a bit of clearance.

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: July 03, 2019, 12:23:02 AM »
Interesting. The social aspect of railway modelling is an intriguing thing that I have not fully explored beyond joining a club and getting involved in building a club layout. I think that being able to share the experience of interacting with the layout with others would probably add considerably to the fun of having it. I daresay that interacting with others' home layouts would be interesting, too; judging by the Youtube video, Bob's layout looks splendid.

So far, the layout(s) (including the planned upper level 00 gauge layout) have been in such an early stage of planning/construction that there really is nothing to share, although that is in the early stages of changing for this N gauge layout.

What I do not know, not having done this before, is quite when the under construction layout crosses the threshold from being too nascent to be worth sharing with others to being something that others might enjoy interacting with, even if somewhat incomplete. An interesting question to ponder. I should be interested in what others think on the subject.

As to the length of the MGR trains - I have realised that the long roads are somewhat short for a typical 36 wagon train. When I was designing the layout, I did not have access to information as to the length of these trains (it is very hard to count the wagons in photographs; it took a long time before I was able to find one with a good enough angle to allow for this, and even then it was challenging), so had to guess. I have calculated that I can fit in a 30 wagon train, which is not far off. I did consider redesigning the fiddle yards to have the roads longer on one side than the other to allow for 36 wagon trains, but concluded that the consequential changes to other parts of the fiddle yard would be so complex and far-reaching that, given that, by that time, I had already started to lay the track, it would not have been feasible.

I believe that some photographic sources suggest that the trains might have run a little shorter at times (although it is very hard to be exact), so it is not necessarily entirely wrong to have 30 wagon trains, although 36 would certainly be preferable.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 12:31:12 AM by jamespetts »

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #160 on: July 03, 2019, 02:57:21 AM »
james

i would allow  14 - 16 cm per loco plus 6 cm per HAA merry go round wagon. thats maybe 190 - 200 cms per train argument sake length.  having calculated that you can fit in a 30 wagon train, which is not far off my thoughts would not look bad and i have seen shorter rakes though the expense bothers me  so i had to go shorter and think - ah wagons heading to / from repair shops- it did happen !!. good luck   !!!

the best thing to do is join a club. james keep up the good work. chris

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: July 03, 2019, 07:46:42 AM »
Yep, 30 wagons will still look great, there comes a point that itís largely indistinguishable, and just looks like a long train. I run a 30 wagon PCA train rather than 36, and it looks fine to my eyes!

I assume you have 2m of usable space in the long roads, rather than 2m between points? I think 30 may be a bit of a squeeze in 2m still, but youíll get 27-28 I reckon, which will still look good. Intermodal takes too?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: July 03, 2019, 09:45:05 AM »

What I do not know, not having done this before, is quite when the under construction layout crosses the threshold from being too nascent to be worth sharing with others to being something that others might enjoy interacting with, even if somewhat incomplete. An interesting question to ponder. I should be interested in what others think on the subject.

I have always considered the track plan to be the most important part of any layout. Let's face it, if you don't like it further down the line (soz) you're either stuck with it or have to rip parts up so, to me, it has to be right from the beginning. Now whether you want to post a plan for discussion or have a few like minded local modellers round for a cuppa and natter is entirely up to you. What you intend to run also has a great bearing on the track plan, as does location (prototype or ficticious). I think, at the end of the day, it depends on how you want to interreact with others and there's something to be said for either social media such as the forum or being social with 'real' people.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: July 03, 2019, 09:52:48 AM »
My layout just grew as it went with no initial plan.

Regret.

Big time.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #164 on: July 03, 2019, 09:53:25 AM »
seconded mick

agree with above comments

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00