!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Oxcott [Thames valley 1989/Network SouthEast]  (Read 1316 times)

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
Re: Oxcott [Thames valley 1989/Network SouthEast]
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 02:31:54 AM »
Hi James

FWIW I agree with you about the appearance of code 55 not being up to scratch, though for me the problem is sleeper size and spacing rather than the scale height (which shouldn't be far off scale).  I think that, particularly on a layout as large as yours, you have come on one of the first challenges which is where to compromise - that is a very personal choice that no one can really answer for you!

Again FWIW I don't think that you would be disappointed with the appearance of Finetrax, but for FB on wooden sleepers you might be better off hand building track (still to my mind quicker than re-wheeling everything and you would still have to handbuild wooden FB track in 2mm FS). I wouldn't have any qualms about using Peco code 55 in fiddle yards (that is precisely my plan).

Cheers, Mike

Offline jamespetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 01:30:14 AM »
Thank you for your thoughts. As to track, I am very much hoping to use fiNetrax throughout the scenic section, although, once the decorating/fitting out of my shed is completed, I should be able to buy a fiNetrax point kit or two and test how easy that they are to make before committing myself to this system. I hope that the flat bottom points will be available before long. I do not think that building points from scratch by hand is a practical proposition for a first layout (other than the small automation test layout that I have constructed).

As to compromises, the current thing that I am having to consider in relation to possible compromises is how to deal with 8 consecutive up departures of NSE locomotive hauled trains without having the same rake of coaching stock arrive from the down line when it last departed on the up line, and how I can fit 8 rakes of stock into my layout.

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2018, 08:19:01 PM »
Having been spending some time planning the timetables for this layout and how it will operate (and having managed to work out, through some information from the real timetables, that I can reduce the number of Network Express sets to 6, but that it is not possible to keep full track of them, although they can at least spend a realistic time off layout before coming back), I have made some modifications to the layout plan to reflect this, as well as a few miscellaneous improvements, as shown below.

The main changes are:

• more fiddle yard roads connecting to the up main and fewer to the up relief lines (as most relief line workings would use the dedicated DMU fiddle yard roads and not the long roads);
  • more carriage sidings (to accommodate the larger number of rakes that need to be stabled overnight according to my understanding/interpretation of the timetable and information on matters such as the fact that locomotive hauled coaching stock was never stabled at Banbury overnight);
  • better access to the parcels dock and platform 1 (the bay platform) to allow better access to the up carriage sidings on the down side of the station;
  • adjustment of the position of the fuelling point to allow more locomotives to refuel at once (and removing unnecessary general locomotive stabling);
  • a change of one of the former dedicated DMU roads in the fiddle yards to a short road capable of taking small locomotive hauled trains such as a locomotive fuel train;
  • an alteration to the configuration of the up DMU sidings to give a smoother track arrangement on the relief lines as they enter the station area;
  • moving the facing crossover on the relief lines from the down end of the platforms to before the crossovers from the main to the relief lines to allow arriving relief line trains to use platform 4 instead of platform 5;
  • adding uncoupling magnets to the end of platform 4 to allow locomotive hauled trains to uncouple in the station on some occasions;
  • elongated the parcels dock and platform 1 to allow longer trains to use one of these as a reversing facility;
  • reduce the number of dedicated open wagon bulk freight roads in the fiddle yard from 2 each way to 1 each way (as I have realised that Oxford/Didcot did not have much aggregates traffic, as most of this went along the Westbury line to Merehead); and
  • recolour the up carriage sidings and the dedicated open wagon freight roads in the fiddle yard for clarity

My decorator has been ill as now is the person who is to be designing the baseboards, so there has been and will continue to be for a short time a delay in making practical progress on this layout, but hopefully it will be a splendid thing when it finally is built.

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 10:15:16 AM »
I have recently taken delivery of some lovely custom transfers from Railtec for which I had been waiting since July, which are intended to go with Class 121 DMUs. I have had the desk replaced in my study with a lovely antique desk (my old desk will go in the model shed when the fitting out has finished), and I am reluctant to use Brasso on the antique desk, so I am limited in what I can do in terms of practical work (renumbering, etc.) at present. However, adding these custom transfers does not require removing numbering already on the body, so I can make a start.

The transfers consist of destination blinds and "C1"/data panels, the latter of which were applied to the guard's end of the class 121 (I am not sure why Dapol omitted these from the base model).

The destination blinds are especially tricky, as they have to be applied from the inside so that it gives the appearance that one is looking at the destination through glass.

Here is the finished result:

Dapol class 121 with custom destination board transfers by James Petts, on Flickr

Dapol class 121 with custom destination board transfers by James Petts, on Flickr

and here is the prototype for this particular unit (albeit in 1988, rather than 1989, so I am supposing that NSE branding has been added to the side and NSE style destination blinds have replaced the original destination blinds shown in this picture by 1989):

Class 121 124 55024 Slough by Tony Walmsley, on Flickr

I will not be moving the overhead lines warning flashes to their correct position at the top of the windscreens, since the windscreen wipers are in the way, and it is a bit much to get special custom reverse transfers just for these.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 10:21:02 AM by jamespetts, Reason: Converting links to images »

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 05:46:17 PM »
Great job, very neat.  I'll look into those transfers myself in the future.

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 01:00:49 AM »
I have now completed work on the first of two NSE class 121s, adding the destination blinds and also no smoking stickers which for some reason were absent on the NSE version even though present on the blue/grey version of the base model.

I have also replaced the numbering as, although I wished to retain the unit as 55028/L128, which was the factory printed number, it is apparent that the factory printed number was far too large and coarse compared to the numbering on the real unit. Further, I had to move the Network SouthEast logo, as it was in an unusual position on this unit, part way down the body side rather than under the guard's compartment window, and was also slightly larger than that on the base model.

Here are some photographs of the unit as modified:

Dapol class 121 as modified by James Petts, on Flickr

Dapol class 121 with custom destination and other decals added by James Petts, on Flickr

And here is a photograph of the real thing at Reading in 1990:

It is just a shame that the Dapol class 121 in NSE livery comes with the marker light, which was not fitted for most of these units' lives in that livery. However, I think that removing that is a step too far at this stage.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2018, 09:42:15 AM »

It is just a shame that the Dapol class 121 in NSE livery comes with the marker light, which was not fitted for most of these units' lives in that livery. However, I think that removing that is a step too far at this stage.

Can someone educate this old codger as to what a 'marker light' is please? :dunce:

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2018, 10:55:15 AM »
Forgive me, I believe that I used the wrong term: I was referring to the central high intensity headlight that I believe was fitted in about the mid 1990s, after these units were no longer in regular passenger service in the Thames valley.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2018, 11:03:56 AM »
If you look at the photo of James's model and the prototype photo you can see the model has the additional headlight in the middle. As James says I'd call that the high intensity headlight, the marker lights are the outer ones present from build.

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »
For some reason, I am not able to post links to pictures on Flickr on this thread - I have been trying to post some more pictures of the class 121s, but have been confounded by errors.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2018, 04:55:16 PM »
I often get that too.

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2018, 11:24:11 PM »
I have been working on modifying some old Poole Farish mk. 2s into Mk. 2Bs for cross-country use using Electra Rail Graphics vinyls, also modifying the couplings, wheelsets and underframe detailing:

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2018, 11:31:59 PM »
I have modified the track plan slightly to take account of the need to accommodate the width of the twin slot rails on the walls of the shed, following discussions with the person who is to be building the baseboards of this layout.

The revised track plan is below.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here