!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Passenger and Goods modelling  (Read 189 times)

Offline TMcG1959

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 29278
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Awards
Passenger and Goods modelling
« on: June 28, 2020, 09:05:20 AM »
I am working through various ideas for my new N gauge model and trying to understand the concept of modelling a railway system and how it works. I have a double track runaround with a passing loop and was hoping to have platforms at either side. One with a station building and the other a simple shelter for passengers accessing trains in the opposite direction.

Coming off the main line I have a goods siding that allows me to access sidings, engine shed, cattle dock and turntable.

I would like to have continuous running on the mainline with independent control of the goods area simultaneously. To allow this to happen using analogue control am I correct in saying my Gaugemaster twin track controller would be inadequate and I should be looking at a 4 track controller instead.

Are my plans moving in the right direction if I continue with this plan?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 01:47:12 PM by TMcG1959 »

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: Passenger and Goods modelling
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 09:26:29 AM »
You could achieve what you want by just adding a single track controller to work the yard.

If you supply the power to the sections (Up line, Down line and yard) via switches to different controllers, you would be able to have uninterrupted movements between sections without needing to ensure that the two controllers you would otherwise be using are set to the same speed and direction. i.e to move a train from, say, the down line to the yard you'd switch the yard to the same controller as the down line to move the train in, then switch the yard to its own controller to work the yard whilst the down line controller can work a through train. I would recommend using double-pole switches and insulating breaks in both rails at the section joins so that you are switching both rails, to keep all the controllers isolated from each other.

Don't forget to include a suitable length headshunt so that yard workings don't need to use the running lines.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 09:38:13 AM »
That is all excellent advice for DC control.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 09:43:20 AM »
On the subject of headshunts I would allow 60 cms plus for 3 or 4 coaches and 20 / 30 cms per loco. The same allows 6 wagons

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 10:18:18 AM »
ChrisM has summed it all up well. If you really only need a simple controller (no other outputs for accessories etc) you could do a lot worse than one of the Farish ones from a set as they're pretty decent control wise and you could maybe pick one up fairly cheaply

Offline TMcG1959

• Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 11:01:20 AM »
On the subject of headshunts I would allow 60 cms plus for 3 or 4 coaches and 20 / 30 cms per loco. The same allows 6 wagons

Thanks all for your speedy responses. I presume headshunt is the section of track beyond the point frog? The headshunt that serves the cattle dock behind the station and also feeds the engine shed and turntable us 60cm long.

On the question of point work, can point motors that I purchased for a 00 layout also work with Ngauge?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:28:20 AM by TMcG1959 »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 11:13:30 AM »

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 04:42:47 PM »
On the question of point work, can point motors that I purchased for a 00 layout also work with Ngauge?

Almost certainly, Peco & Seep solenoids, and Tortoise & Cobalt motors will work fine, off the top of my head I can't think of any that wouldn't, except perhaps some surface mount models.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline TMcG1959

• Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 05:42:15 PM »

Almost certainly, Peco & Seep solenoids, and Tortoise & Cobalt motors will work fine, off the top of my head I can't think of any that wouldn't, except perhaps some surface mount models.

Regards,

John P

I have ten Peco point motors and a capacitor discharge unit that were never used, could come in handy.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal