!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.


Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Large logo 37 renumbering from the 37418 to 37403  (Read 125 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline KainHarkins

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 44
  • Country: 00
    • Awards
Large logo 37 renumbering from the 37418 to 37403
« on: August 06, 2018, 09:31:09 PM »
On the workbench over the last few days has been one of the highlander class 37ís in large logo blue.

My plan was to see if the black headcode could be removed so it gave me another option to the hard to get hold of 37407ís.

I started out as mentioned with the standard 37 and gathered the tools which compromised of 2 cocktail sticks with one end blunted and a few cotton buds and a bottle of original T cut.

I shook the bottle and as Iíve done on the 60ís Iíve just used what was in the lid. After shaking the bottle I then dabbed some on the black front at both ends and left it for a few minutes. This actually helped to soften up the black paint but not too much as it still took a bit of effort with the blunted end of the cocktail stick to get down to the yellow underneath. The hardest part was making sure i didnít go off the edge and possibly damage the outer edge of the yellow.

Once I was happy I did the same for the grilles on the side which were also
black and a swine to remove but on this one I used the same technique as the front but used the cocktail stick to remove the black inbetween the fins and then tone down the black.

The numbers and nameplates were removed in less than 2 minutes after applying the tcut and then after a few seconds I wiped the numbers and nameplates off easily.

The results are pictured below.


Iíve then cleaned the body with water and dried it off but not soaked it just wiped over the areas I had worked on.

The next day I applied the Klear floor polish to the body and gave it a few coats after letting each one cure for a few hours inbetween.



I left this for a few days to make sure it had dried properly and then dig out the railtec transfers for the numbers and nameplates. I also added the front and back numbers to the noses.



I let that dry overnight and then today I planned on attacking the body to apply the cantrail stripes which were missing from the 37418 model.

I broke up the cantrail stripe to go inbetween the vents on the side of the loco and also broke up the stripe on the top of the nose and round the window post.

I did have some problems with getting the stripes to stick right down so Iíd purchased some decalfix a month ago and gave this a try to get them seated.

Iím happy with the results so far. Iíve still to replace the warning marks on the side for the newer ones in yellow and black instead of the white and red ones that the base model came with and Iíve also got to sort out getting the dogs for the side to replicate the current condition of the loco.

But Iím happy with how itís going so far.






The good thing about this is that the 37418 are available and if you can find a retailer that will split the set then itíll work out cheaper than trying to get one of the hens teeth 37407 models.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 09:35:37 PM by KainHarkins »

 

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £347.00
Above Goal: £292.00
Site Currency: GBP
631% 
December Donations


Advertise Here
anything