New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bullet Bitten - The Moorpark construction crew has arrived  (Read 2390 times)

Offline LASteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
Re: Bullet Bitten - The Moorpark construction crew has arrived
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2018, 03:27:00 AM »
Your hard work has paid off, Steve. Nice work!
Shame you tease me with pics of a plain green Warship, though. I knew I should have got one when that set came out :doh:

I found it on eBay - I didn't realize. You probably don't want to know what I paid for it.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2018, 09:34:37 AM »
Your hard work has paid off, Steve. Nice work!
Shame you tease me with pics of a plain green Warship, though. I knew I should have got one when that set came out :doh:

I found it on eBay - I didn't realize. You probably don't want to know what I paid for it.

And, being a tight  :censored:, therein lies the problem :-[

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2018, 02:25:37 AM »

And, being a tight  :censored:, therein lies the problem :-[

Ah, but I was on the low end, not the high end.

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2018, 02:28:32 AM »
Looks good.
And I agree with Caz.......a proper run round loop.
I’m looking forward to seeing more scenery appear - toy trees for your toy trains  :D

Toy trees will grow shortly But - I'm definitely happy I have a proper run around loop - more by accident than design. What makes it "proper"? I'm curious so that I can make the next one equally proper?

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2018, 05:43:41 AM »
I've been starting to fill in some ballast gaps, cleaning up some building weathering and getting my feet wet with some scenic work. The one-square-foot in the top-left corner is the station entrance, so that's where I decided to begin. I decided a while back that a disused tunnel would be a fine scenic break, so from that I worked out a road ramp down into the station approach would be needed, the forecourt then rises to platform level for passenger drop-off and pick-up. I had quite a lot of bits left over from the Metcalfe platform kit, so that turned into tarmac, cobbles and paving for the station forecourt, and a wall between the forecourt and the station sidings. Building placement is still not really finalized, although I can't see much wrong with where everything is sitting now. The platform is certainly too narrow for the waiting room at the business end of the platform, but hey, this is 1960-something, watch where you're walking and don't fall onto the track.

A good day for trainspotting at Moorpark; the regular 101 DMU service is in and out, the Warship passenger to the mainline and London is waiting to head out. A visiting Crompton brought the train in and is now sitting in the headshunt deciding where to go for dinner. A Hymek sits in the to-be fueling stage with an oil wagon and a "safety" empty wagon is placed between it and the Hymek exploding if the oil tank decides to combust for no good reason. A really scruffy Western brought in a freight earlier, and sits waiting for a recall to more glamorous assignments - Paddington and the passenger expresses to the west country.

Some passengers are to be seen in rather lively and jaunty clothes; Moorpark might be the end of a branch line, but the inhabitants are fashion-forward.

Lessons learned: Ratio kits are REALLY challenging, don't sneeze when you're spreading fine turf or ballast, wearing snappy latex gloves means no more numb-from-glue fingertips and Rule #1 is awesome.

First, a look down the station, Warship ready to depart. The black backscene will be replaced with something better, but I wanted to get an idea of what the scene looked like when the wall paint wasn't there.

Mid-platform. Obligatory left-behind rusting rails in the no-man's-land of the passing loop.

The station building and the visiting Crompton. More infill of ballast needed to cover up the holes drilled for the point motor. Some more weathering of the building and final glue-down to be done. The square foot or so of scenic station forecourt.

Closer-up look. The station ramp is a Metcalfe kit, the old tunnel entrance is a white-plaster Woodland Scenics piece painted and weathered. I tried to at least get in the same ball park as far as color palatte is concerned.

The old shunter stabling line no longer in use can be seen. Looks like I need some more rust on those rails. The parking spaces in the forecourt are marked out in white, but I couldn't find any photo reference that's how it was done. I figured that rather than letting everyone randomly abandon their cars anywhere on the blacktop, some guidance might be welcome. So we've got parking spaces.

Looking back the other way, Western and Hymek sitting around doing not much. The green signal just before the level crossing is a new Advanced Starter that I talked myself into. I like it, I think it makes sense, non-signalman that I am.

Station view.

Station view from the station yard. The canopy comes in for some treatment next. Benches and people below. Maybe something else under there, I'm not sure what makes the most sense. I don't want to clutter the platform with kiosks and what-not unless there's a good reason for it. Maybe a timetable/poster board?

Anyway, that's it for now. Comments and criticisms more than welcome!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2018, 06:51:31 AM »
Great pics! Continuing to progress nicely.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2018, 07:12:16 AM »
Excellent work and great pictures ... could I please ask what is the grey ballast you used?

Cheers  :beers:

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2018, 07:49:27 AM »
GreyWolf - it's Woodland Scenics' "Medium Gray Blend". I was a little worried when I bought it that it was too pale for the look I wanted, but the more I mix it, stain it and put weeds on it the more I like it.

Offline Ted

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2018, 08:28:55 AM »
This is looking good, really fast progress too - I'm jealous!

It's taken me 4 days to get my head around DCC controlled points and I've not even laid any yet.
Ted's Excellent Adventure - lots of imagery of my 'workbench', locos and what I'm modelling.

Ted TMD Layout Progress - Era 8/9 Diesel Depot - 8ft Wide DCC

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2018, 08:37:01 AM »
Hello from across the pond  :wave:

Living in Bristol I approve of the Western theme, and I think the whole thing is coming together very well.

Good to hear you are being well supported by U.K. model shops, MRD are not too far from me and I have used most of the online retailers at some point.

I had a chuckle at your customs labels, I do hope they continue to be gentle with all your kit when they “inspect” it.

Skyline2uk

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2018, 09:00:07 AM »
Some nice work there! I really like your disused tunnel entrance.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2018, 10:13:42 AM »
Excellent progress. When it's finished I don't know what you'll do next week :-\

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2018, 10:19:23 AM »
Some nice work there! I really like your disused tunnel entrance.  :thumbsup:

Shades of Henry getting bricked up in the tunnel for being a naughty engine!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2018, 11:31:04 PM »
Hello from across the pond  :wave:

I had a chuckle at your customs labels, I do hope they continue to be gentle with all your kit when they “inspect” it.

I've not had anything opened (yet, now I've jinxed myself). All the shipments have arrived intact, as far as I can tell, the carriers haven't broken anything. International Royal Mail is like clockwork, I'm very impressed.

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2018, 04:15:52 AM »
Where does the water tower go?

I've got three choices as I see it (refer back to previous photographs) - in the headshunt where the Castle will run around, at the throat-end of the platform after it has run around to re-couple, or somewhere on the run-around loop itself. I think I've seen examples of options two and three (Ropley and Leamington Spa) on restored railways, and archive photos of Winchester City with the hose on the down platform. There don't seem to be any rules about placement.

I'm leaning towards putting it on the platform at the throat, but I don't want it to look like it's there for no good reason.

Any ideas or advice?

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything