New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bullet Bitten - The Moorpark construction crew has arrived  (Read 2388 times)

Offline LASteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
Re: Bullet Bitten - The Moorpark construction crew has arrived
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2018, 04:52:53 PM »
I found programming the Cobalts really easy.  I just moved the position of the little switch to 'Set' and then set the turnout number that I wanted on my DCC controller and sent a command to it.  I sent a command to set, then to reset and then to set again.  Then I set the switch back to the 'Run' position,  turned off the DCC system and turned it on again and sent the same commands again.  The turnout responded as expected.

That did the trick, thanks! I think I was reading the wrong section of the NCE manual. Two minutes of resetting and now I'm back to numeric logic and no longer relying on voodoo for programming.

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2018, 06:07:13 AM »
The track is now laid, wired and point-motored, and thanks to Mr Innovationgame earlier in the thread, the point motor programming took two minutes per.

I took advantage of having an additional point motor and LH point and made a minor change to the fiddle yard - the headshunt on the #1 track now runs straight through to the buffer rather than curving down to join the #2 track. It gives me a couple of extra inches of room for the run-around, which was pretty tight with a rake of four coaches and the Castle.

I had been waiting on the cork underlay sheets to be delivered (from China!) but when they arrived I found that they were much thinner than I'd expected, probably around .5mm, not really enough to deliver a decent elevation in the track bed. I didn't have enough cork to lay a double or triple thickness, but I found self-adhesive cork roll at my local hardware superstore which is intended to line kitchen drawers. A double thickness of this gives me about a 3mm base under the track, so that's what I went with. Easy to cut with an Exacto knife and easy to lay. I've also got plenty left over for my kitchen drawers, so that's an added bonus!

I laid the track on top of that on a decent film of PVA, droppers on every point and length of track.

The track went down mostly according to the AnyRail plan, some of the geometry seemed a little off per the software, but nothing too much to worry about. The Y point at the station throat feeds a split that looks a little funky, the tracks don't really separate straight away, but I quite like the look anyway.

While I was waiting for the final track components to be delivered, I filled the time with making up one of the Metcalfe platform kits and the wayside station building. I'll probably rebuild the platform now that the track itself is laid, it's a little "gappy" to my taste and could be a couple of tads wider, but Metcalfe give you a ton of material in a set so I've got plenty to spare to use on Platform Mk2. The station building was fun to assemble, it all needs weathering but I was impressed with the quality of the kit and the clarity of the instructions.

While all that was going on, I found a Class 101 DMU, BR Green w/whiskers, and a Class 42 "Warship", also in BR Green with no yellow warning panels, so c. 1960 on eBay. I added a Zimo sound chip and a sugarcube speaker to the DMU (it's a Class 108 sound chip from YouChoos, but sounds fine to my novice ears). The Warship has zero room for a sound conversion done by a newbie like me, so that's going to remain silent for now.

Here's a few pictures with locomotives/rolling stock for scale and test running.

The end of the fiddle yard - the new point towards the right-hand end of track 1, the upper track. Isolation switch for the test/main also added.

The entrance to the fiddle yard. Same layout as before prior to the relaying of the yard with Unifrog points:

The curve transitioning from yard to scenic section - 6lb weight used for track laying and now holding the upper board in place until permanently screwed down. The track crosses a gap which will be a small river.

The station throat. The "funky" Y-point and track can be seen.

Views along the loose-fitted platform. It seems a lot of platform for a small layout, but the run-around loop needs space at either end and I wanted a platform long enough to comfortably accommodate the trains. I also noticed I need to get the carpet guys in for the annual cleaning, especially now the "heavy" construction is done!

The station building. Not bad for a first attempt?

Finally, two views down and back up the track:

Next steps for me are to trim the cork track bed, add back in the sleepers at the rail joints, fix the upper boards in place to the lower, neaten up the wiring with some cable ties and give the whole thing another coat of sealer/primer once the filler in the screw holes has been sanded down; then I can think about ballast and track weathering.

I'm learning fast with rookie mistakes (don't spread PVA under the moving parts of the points is one good lesson to take to heart!) The layouts I see on this forum built by you experienced folks are really awe-inspiring, but also inspiring for a new modeler like myself, as is the help and advice freely offered.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2018, 06:12:44 AM »
Mate, all I can say at this point is that it's coming along brilliantly. You've made a really good job of the station building, and also good to see you using cork underlay.

Thumbs up from Australia!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Bubule

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2018, 07:07:08 AM »
 The design of the layout is very good ! Nice curves, and elegant track plan. Your curved platform has a perfect shape very nicely drawn.  :claphappy: This build will be a pleasure to follow.

Congratulations from France  :thumbsup:  ;)

Jef
Jef

D&RGW still alive ! ! !

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2018, 07:16:03 AM »
Yes, agree. The gentle curves look great.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2018, 10:19:33 AM »
I found self-adhesive cork roll at my local hardware superstore which is intended to line kitchen drawers. A double thickness of this gives me about a 3mm base under the track, so that's what I went with. Easy to cut with an Exacto knife and easy to lay. I've also got plenty left over for my kitchen drawers, so that's an added bonus!

I used 1Ĺmm thick commercial grade rubber as underlay but didn't have enough left to line my drawers. Shame really, as it would have solved an entirely different problem :D ;)

Great job on the layout so far :thumbsup:

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2018, 04:08:09 AM »
A couple 'o weeks later, a "warts and all" update

Firstly, it's great getting up early at the weekend to work on the project. Why? The Premier League is back, and I can watch all the games live while I make a mess of railway modelling. You have to love NBC here in the US.

Anyway, back to the layout. I've been learning about spraying paint all over the place, weathering track, laying ballast, building kits and generally finding out that what works great on AnyRail might not work when you start to do this for real. I have, however, no soldering iron burns to speak of and the house is still standing. For that, I give thanks.

In no particular order, I've taken a first pass at weathering the track, taken a very much a first pass at ballasting (still an awful lot of clean-up and infill work to do after that operation,) built some Metcalfe models, including re-doing the platform which wasn't quite to my taste as previously reported and played with loose-fit experimentation and placement, discovered that Ratio kits are a bear to deal with, also discovered that Dapol signals work like a charm, installed some Easy-Shunt couplings and magnets and discovered that in order to swap out the couplings from Dapol Mk1 carriages you have to chop off the existing couplings and do a refit of NEM ones, more's the pity and a surprise, frankly.

All that said, however, here's the progress to date. The pictures look more like black country heavy industrial, but that's just temporary, I hope, overspray from the sleeper grime weathering.

Firstly, a look from the station throat:

A Hymek sits ready to run around the inbound service to take it out again. This was no-hand-of-god uncoupling courtesy of Dapol.

A longer view up the main platform:

The DMU sitting at the bay platform, and D829 waiting in the station siding. A busy day for a small station, right?

A look back across the roof of the ticket office. Non-scenic kitchen roll and random bits at the far end.

The MK1 rake brought into the main platform by the aforementioned Hymek.

More of the same view:

DMU service ready to depart:

"Farewell to Steam" Castle Class "Sir Daniel Gooch" and a rake of blood and custard coaches waiting to be cleared into the station. Not sure where I'm going to put it.

DMU departs the bay platform.

Watching it leave. I notice that I've got to fix the lights on the trailer coach to show red when headed in that direction. The "motor trailer" at the front has it down pat.

So that's where I'm at. The ballasting definitely needs a lot of work, especially between the rails and the sleepers. Weathering/infill paint on the station buildings and fixing down those and the platform when I'm happy with the placement are also jobs to check off the list, then I can start thinking about the next round of "to do".

By the way, all the online retailers that I've been using are absolutely great - YouChoos aka John Gymer and Model Railways Direct to name two who have been fantastic and deserve a round of applause. It's not easy buying "blind" from California and you do rely on websites being accurate and it's amazing having people who will bend over backwards on email to help out and advise. My mailman is wondering what on earth I'm up to with all these little parcels arriving from the UK.

Oh, and on that topic, my wife has been particularly stoic regarding my newly-incarnated hobby, but does laugh when the customs declaration pasted onto the packages describes the contents as "Toy Trains" when I'm insisting that this is a "model railway". When she took a look for the first time at progress to date, she said "Thank goodness you're actually doing something up here. I was worried you were going to die and I'd have to figure out what all the stuff in these packages was".

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2018, 06:27:17 AM »
It's looking great, buddy!  :thumbsup:

Excellent progress.  :beers:

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2018, 06:49:14 AM »
Well done, Steve!  That's a lot to have achieved in a couple of weeks.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2018, 08:50:44 AM »
A proper run around loop to boot, looking good Steve.   :thumbsup:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2018, 08:54:48 AM »
Looks good.
And I agree with Caz.......a proper run round loop.
Iím looking forward to seeing more scenery appear - toy trees for your toy trains  :D
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Biggy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25735
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2018, 09:58:06 AM »
I the looking really good youíve made a lot of progress in a short time.
 I am a bit worried about the lack of solder burns though. Are you sure youíre doing it right?  :D
Not sure its supposed to do that

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2018, 10:48:11 AM »
A lot of atmosphere there already :thumbsup:

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2018, 11:03:54 AM »
 :greatwork: :jealous:
Great work there Steve. :thumbsup:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2018, 12:45:08 PM »
Your hard work has paid off, Steve. Nice work!
Shame you tease me with pics of a plain green Warship, though. I knew I should have got one when that set came out :doh:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here