!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bullet Bitten - The Moorpark construction crew has arrived  (Read 3431 times)

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Bullet Bitten - The Moorpark construction crew has arrived
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2019, 09:47:21 PM »
Great pictures! Thanks for the update. Your landscape modelling has a rich texture to it which is very photogenic.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2019, 05:37:53 AM »
I really enjoyed those pics, Steve. As for the camera being a severe critic, I find it very useful to take pics and then look to see what I need to correct. After all, in this digital age they are easily deleted once done with.

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2019, 06:42:46 AM »
NPN *click*  :camera:  :D ;)

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2019, 05:22:11 AM »
Some more progress and a CL 37 on the layout. I need to figure out how to soften the transition between the river and the backscene. The video ends abruptly - I was using my iPhone and Mrs. LASteve called right before the train came to a halt at the station, but being as she puts up with me I can't fault her for timing!

Learning curve regarding video, focus, editing and posting. Very rudimentary at the moment, but hey, it's a process!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVSviWS3uzQ

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2019, 08:34:53 PM »
Slowly getting a little more adept at the Metcalfe and Scalescenes modeling and the landscape beyond the railway is beginning to take shape in terms of planning. Of the two rows of cottages, the one of the left was the first attempt and will probably be consigned to the "learning" dustheap when I've salvaged the Scaleglaze windows. The one on the right is much better.

I think I've finally figured out the best way to handle Scalescenes windows, which is to use the print-only window frames on photo-paper and cut them out with a razor-sharp scalpel under a magnifying lens freehand. I found that using the steel ruler to guide the blade only served to obscure exactly where I should be cutting. I've saved all the offcuts of glazing plastic from the Metcalfe models, so I've got plenty of material at hand.

I'm definitely not sold on the Scaleglaze add-on, each set is pretty expensive for what you actually get in my humble opinion and it's very easy to scrape the white print frame from the window which pretty much defeats the whole purpose.

The Metcalfe church was a fun build, I will need to work out the best way to transition from the lytch gate walls which came with the kit to the dry-stone walls for the remainder of the churchyard. The church itself is crying out for some lighting to highlight the "leaded" windows so I feel some more fiddling around with LEDs in my future.

I'm thinking about adding a weather vane to the very top of the roof of the tower, and flagpole with a St. George's Cross in one corner of the battlements - does that sound right?

The final plan of that part of town is still to be finalized, but rough placement of the buildings lets me see how things are shaping up before I start on each part of what will be the finished diorama.

I've done some light weathering on the church, but there's more to be done. I'm experimenting with what looks to be the most realistic "moss" on the roofs and eventually I'll need some mosses and lichen when I start adding tombs and gravestones in the to-be churchyard.

Anyway, here's a few pictures taken with the trusty iPhone:

The rows of cottages and the pub. The "practice" cottages are on the left hence the incomplete roof, chimney stacks, etc:

Another view:

From the goods shed. The pencil-marked road will move closer to the cottages; I need to leave space for a fuel point behind the siding where the Esso wagon sits:

Front view of the church and the lych-gate:

And from the east end of the Nave. The building probably won't be set so far back against the backscene:

As always, the camera is highlighting spots on the buildings that need some attention!

I'm planning to complete each section of the landscaping from the level crossing to the cattle dock on "baseboards" of 2mm card so that I don't have to reach over the existing parts of the layout. Much more comfortable for me and much less likely to be knocking stuff over. When each section is complete, I'll just slot it in. At least, that's the plan!

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2019, 09:00:52 PM »
Thanks for the comprehensive update!  :thumbsup:

Looking good!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2019, 09:05:01 PM »
Looks very good indeed.
And yes to the weather vane and the flagpole. I think Metcalfe kits benefit from the addition of bits and bobs.
Keep the updates coming.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2019, 03:30:34 AM »
And yes to the weather vane and the flagpole. I think Metcalfe kits benefit from the addition of bits and bobs.

Thanks. The kits are great, and it's nice to be able to put a couple of your own touches in there too. Now the challenge comes to make a weathervane and a drooping flag!

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2019, 03:31:33 AM »
Looking good!

Thank you, Sir. Your encouragement always appreciated.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2019, 06:16:40 AM »
Hi Steve,

Great pics and lovely modelling. Will be interested in how you do the flag. I will be needing one or two for various things on my layout.

I haven't attempted it yet but was thinking, as I smoke, of using the very thin bit of foil paper that you pull off the top of the cigarettes after opening the packet. It holds paint well as I used it for the awnings on my Trémargat St. Croix layout. It's thin but very tough and also seems to hold it's shape well once you've got it how you want it, being thin papery foil, so one could crunch it down to make it droop like a flag.

I'm going for a Catalan type flag of yellow and red but am sure a George Cross should be do able. Union Jack (Union Flag or whatever it's called now) might be a bit too complicated/fiddly, certainly for me.

There's probably much better ideas and solutions out there but just an idea.

Cheers weave,  :beers:

PS. You might have different inserts in US cigarette packets but as I said, just an idea.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2019, 06:59:40 AM »
as I smoke, of using the very thin bit of foil paper that you pull off the top of the cigarettes after opening the packet.
Another option might be a Rizla Ultra Thin cigarette paper.  You could paint it with water colours and, when dry, crumple it and then strighten it out again.  That should give a good likeness.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2019, 07:37:58 PM »
Hi Steve,

Great pics and lovely modelling. Will be interested in how you do the flag. I will be needing one or two for various things on my layout.

I haven't attempted it yet but was thinking, as I smoke, of using the very thin bit of foil paper that you pull off the top of the cigarettes after opening the packet. It holds paint well as I used it for the awnings on my Trémargat St. Croix layout. It's thin but very tough and also seems to hold it's shape well once you've got it how you want it, being thin papery foil, so one could crunch it down to make it droop like a flag.

I'm going for a Catalan type flag of yellow and red but am sure a George Cross should be do able. Union Jack (Union Flag or whatever it's called now) might be a bit too complicated/fiddly, certainly for me.

There's probably much better ideas and solutions out there but just an idea.

Cheers weave,  :beers:

PS. You might have different inserts in US cigarette packets but as I said, just an idea.

I think the Union Jack would be a tough one to pull off! I'll be happy with the simple red cross if I can get that far. That's a good idea regarding the foil, thanks for the pointer on that one.

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2019, 08:19:56 PM »
Rizla Ultra Thin cigarette paper.
silvers in smokers speak,white being thickest,then reds and greens followed by blues then silvers

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2019, 08:28:00 PM »
as I smoke, of using the very thin bit of foil paper that you pull off the top of the cigarettes after opening the packet.
Another option might be a Rizla Ultra Thin cigarette paper.  You could paint it with water colours and, when dry, crumple it and then strighten it out again.  That should give a good likeness.

Thanks, Lawrence. Another cracking idea. I did see another thread where tarps to cover wagons were made from tissue paper soaked in PVA and painted, that's something else I might take a look at.

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2019, 05:30:47 AM »
"I see dead people" ...

Slow progress recently - something called "work" got in the way - but slowly adding to the church diorama. The gravestones are tiny - a combination of a sharp scalpel, a magnifier and crossed fingers, but I think they're looking good. Just another hundred or so and I'm done.

On a completely unrelated topic, where do I look for help on whether I need a DCC booster? My CL 52 steadfastly refuses to run more than an inch without the whole system shutting down. All I can think of at this point is that it's trying to draw more than 3amps, but I don't want to go the $200 upgrade route with my PowerCab unless I'm throwing money in the right direction.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything