!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: LEDs on a roll/strip  (Read 1613 times)

Offline mayjay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24333
    • Awards
Re: LEDs on a roll/strip
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2018, 12:22:32 PM »
oooh! you cleaver people. Would love to think that I could put cab lights in, maybe when I have managed to understand a little more. lets get the buildings sorted first.
Mike

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2018, 03:18:16 PM »
Once again I point you to Layouts4U, though I am sure you can go to many alternatives. They will sell you pre wired leds including resistors suitable for 12 V.

I find them a bit bright and connect 3 in series , including the resistors and put 12 V across all three. They still work and you get 3 times the light sfrom your power supply.

Tried posting a photo, but for some reason has to be a pdf, and I can’t see how to do this on my iPad (can convert to pdf, but can’t then browse to the file created to attach it!)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 03:19:56 PM by Bramshot, Reason: Typo »

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2018, 03:27:40 PM »
Tried posting a photo, but for some reason has to be a pdf,

No, that usually means you're trying to use the "Attachments and other options" link underneath the text editor box.  Try the "Add image to post and upload to gallery" link which is ABOVE  the editor text box.

Lots of newbies also seem to fall over this, I think on many other forums the links to add images are underneath the text box (they certainly are on other forum pages I visit)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 05:24:46 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2018, 04:56:24 PM »
Thanks ntpntpntp.

Here’s a photo of part of my illuminated assemblage, before the layout was completed ( still isn’t!) Photos on its side, for some reason.

Offline mayjay

• N Gauge Society Number: 24333
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2018, 05:16:05 PM »
certainly brightens things up Bramshot. I have ordered some 0402s (warm white) ready soldered with leads & resistors, from China. The most I can lose is £4.95. If these work out ok I can order more.

Off on a mid week break so will catch up with you all on Saturday, if I remember.

Enjoy the sun but keep on with the layouts.

Mike
Mike

Offline Simon1983

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2018, 03:01:04 PM »
Just been reading this and when people say the ones on a roll just need wiring to a suitable 12v supply, could you just connect them to the wiring bus the same as with track?

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2018, 03:56:13 PM »
As far as I know, there would be nothing to stop you. But, certainly if running the layout on DC, the loco's speed depends on the amount of volts going to the track, so unless running at full speed, you would not have 12v to the LEDs all the time. All my LEDs are run from a separate dedicated 12v DC supply, provided by one of those plug in adaptor things.  If I have got this wrong, somebody will be along to correct me.

Addit: Having just read the reply from Malc, I have realised that my adaptor thingy is also set at 9v.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 04:02:15 PM by dannyboy, Reason: added a bit! »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2018, 03:58:44 PM »
Just been reading this and when people say the ones on a roll just need wiring to a suitable 12v supply, could you just connect them to the wiring bus the same as with track?
You could do that, but you might find them a bit bright. The one I bought you can cut down into a groups of 3 LEDs . I run mine off a 9v plug top power supply to reduce the brightness. Alternatively try adding a series resistor of a few hundred ohms in series with the LEDs.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2018, 04:48:56 PM »

If reducing brightness with a resistor, bear in mind the total power consumption of the entire strip.  Its often quite a lot, and a 0.25W resistor might be inadequate and get a bit hot. 

I've started reading up on programmable LED strips.  With those, its a strip of three-colour LEDs, each one individually adjustable. So, full control of colour and brightness of each individual LED on the strip, with only one or two wires to the processor, plus the two to the power supply.  Downside is it needs a small processor (Arduino or similar) to control it all.     Theory sounds good, but got to put it into practise for layout lighting. 

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2018, 04:54:21 PM »
With those, its a strip of three-colour LEDs,
The 4 led,red blue green and white, are even better .

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Wembley here come.... again!
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2018, 05:05:30 AM »
Didn't know you could get 'em. The only reels of LED strips I've seen are either all white or RGB, which can generate white anyway.   :hmmm:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2018, 09:14:42 PM »
or RGB, which can generate white anyway.
RGB led combination white tends to be more towards the pink end of the spectrum,to get an acceptable white range amber and lime leds are often added as even white leds tend to be either at the blue or red end of the colour scale

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2019, 07:52:12 PM »
There are now on the market LED strips with 5 leds per unit, RGB, White and Warm White all in the same strip. The RGB only strip can only produce a very strange white tone, towards blue light.  ;)

-/-

Reading this topic end to end has given me the will to try the LED strip option to bring light to my coaches in N-Scale, starting with the rather basic DB Siberling from Fleischmann. I am totally new to this so sorry for the basic questions.

Operating in DCC i have found that i don't need the rectifier. If i connect the led strip directly to the track they lit up, no matter the polarity. Is this correct?

I run my layout with a 15V 2.4A power source connected to my Trix Mobile Station.

I ordered the weakest led strip that i found: 4,8W for each meter, possible to cut every 5 cm.
First test connected to a regular 12VDC power source, with a 1.5k resistor:

The light output was reduced and was just right at this point, but as I run my layout at 15v i would need something more:

It is just too bright for what i wanted.  :doh:

The resistor is connected to the (+) side of the strip, does this make a difference?
Should i get a higher one, or can i solder another right in front? I had bought a few different resistors to test and try.

Thank you in advance! Hope that this may also help someone.  :beers:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 07:53:51 PM by RicardoFig »

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2019, 01:51:20 PM »
The resistor is connected to the (+) side of the strip, does this make a difference?
nope
Should i get a higher one, or can i solder another right in front?
either or, you could even put it in the negative wire,the only downside is the amount of space multiple resistors take up compared to just 1.
 Id guess something around 330 ohm to 420 ohm in addition to your existing 1.5K resistor will get you somewhere close
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 01:56:25 PM by themadhippy »

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2019, 01:29:55 PM »
Thank you!

As the resistors are cheap, i will replace the 1.5K for a 2.2K: Its the next value available for delivery here at the local shop.

Two more questions:

If i want to add a capacitor, should i solder it just after the pickups?

Is this lighting solution going to mess with the DCC signal to the locomotives?  :hmmm:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here