!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Small Pliers  (Read 381 times)

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Small Pliers
« on: July 14, 2018, 07:21:15 PM »
I have been looking for some small pliers for a while and came across these on ebay -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mixed-Jaws-Nose-Pliers-Cutters-Tool-Beading-Jewelry-Making-Wire-Work-Mini-3-0/251681805131?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=550583600695&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Compared to normal size pliers, they are tiny, a fraction less than 3 inch. The quality looks quite reasonable and £9.76p, (including postage), for a set of four seems like good value. And from a UK company.  :thumbsup:

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Small Pliers
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 10:48:55 PM »
They look  better than some of the cheapo sets well meaning family members have bought me in the past, and which generally  just get junked.   

I still mostly use a 30+ year old set of snipe-nose pliers that are simply comfy in the hand and grip nicely.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online class37025

• Trade Count: (+31)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 11:07:07 PM »
mine on the way, many thanks for the heads up  :thumbsup:
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 11:08:29 PM »
They look similar to a couple of tools I picked up - cannot remember which show or dealer.  I keep them in the exhibition emergency kit.  I have bought tools, trusted brands generally,  on E Bay but most I have looked at and handled first, usually at shows.  I was brought up on encouragement from my father to buy the best and they will last beyond your lifetime.  I have a few items I purloined from my father's tools when my brothers and I were sharing it all out.  So some may be older than me!

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 07:27:27 AM »
The set of pliers in the pic/link don't look too bad a buy, and I hope for purchasers they are adequate for the job.

Portpatricks comment on buying the best does have some relevance, more so in today's World than when I was gathering together my woodworking tools as an apprentice carpenter in the early 70s. In recent years we have been flooded with cheap and often inferior tools from Asia, to such an extent that many of our long standing and respected Sheffield tool manufacturers have gone out of business. What we are left with in home produced tools is invariably high end/spec tools that can be way OTT for most people, a bit like owning a Rolls Royce to just pop out for the groceries once a week.

Anyway, it would be good to hear how the purchasers of this budget set of pliers rate them in use. Even with the imported tools there is a varied level of quality to them.

Online class37025

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 12:22:02 PM »
warning to anyone thinking of buying these.

ordered a set, delivery due last monday / tuesday.

nothing by friday, so e-mailed.
nothing yesterday, so e-mailed again.

still no pliers, and surprise surprise, no response to e-mails.

sounds to me like a scam.

off to fleabay / paypal to log and claim my money back

Online class37025

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »
sounds to me like a scam.

Out of 9000+ feedbacks only 22 are negative. Doesn't sound like a scam to me

anything can get lost, but IMHO ignoring e-mails about this does not create a good, or reassuring, impression.

logged it with e-bay, perhaps seller will reply to them.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 06:59:17 PM »
I think it is more a question of you just being unlucky with delivery, although there is no excuse for the lack of response to your emails - that to me is bad manners and poor customer service. One thing that does annoy me is the lack of courtesy from some suppliers. On the subject of the pliers though, they are quite sturdy and I am pleased with the purchase.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online class37025

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 09:14:56 PM »
refund received a few hours after contacting e-bay as 'not received', but no contact from the supplier, sale was just cancelled, and so of course, no feedback

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £287.00
Above Goal: £232.00
Site Currency: GBP
522% 
December Donations

Advertise Here