New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish Longmoor Loco - help needed with PCB  (Read 465 times)

Offline Fredastaire

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Farish Longmoor Loco - help needed with PCB
« on: July 07, 2018, 10:08:59 PM »
Please can I have some help? Ive just bought at auction the Farish Longmoor set, its 99.9% as it left Farish, it doesnt look to have been operated however things have been taken out of boxes.
The box internal paperwork threw me as there was a leaflet on the Bachman DCC 6 pin chip. It wasnt listed as DCC , the box doesnt say DCC and i dont run DCC.
I opened the tender up and found a blue wrapped chip in the socket, ive pulled it clear and i'm 99% sure its a DCC chip, it flipped in my fingers and first, I dont know which way up it goes in. the underside of the socket board has pin 6 on the left side; the DCC chip has no numbers, just a pin holder that looks a bit silvery on one side, could that be pin one? What happens if I put it in the wrong way?
The Bachman instructions tell me its automatically dual mode. Did these leave the factory all as DCC?, can I run it in on DC?, there is no blanking plug.
Heres hoping for advice, kind regards to all

Online kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Farish Longmoor Loco - help needed with PCB
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 10:22:19 PM »
That little silver mark indicates pin one.
If its dual mode then the chip will be set for analogue running. It should work.

HTH
Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 11:23:06 PM »
Thanks, at least i can reassemble it now.
I still wonder if it left the factory as DCC and ifvits safe to ‘run in’ on DC as theres no mention on the box or inside on any leaflet. Equally im hoping its a good loco to have, im well aware of fuction problems with todays hi tec hi spec models.
Im hoping that more comments will be added.
Kind regards and thanks

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 08:02:36 AM »
Provided it is the later version of the Bachmann/Farish dcc chip, it will run on both dc and dcc. I run a large number of locos on dcc on my own layout but dc on two exhibition layouts I'm associated with, and have had no problems. However, the early version of the Bach Far chip would not run on dc (by design).

If you don't trust the chip, then you can replace it with a blank plug from Farish (or someone on the forum may well have some spares!).

HTH

Martyn
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:03:58 AM by martyn, Reason: extra info »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 09:58:03 AM »
Please let us know how you get on, Fred, as there have been tales of woe with this set/loco............

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=28169.0

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 10:08:42 AM »
Yes, apparently there are issues.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 10:31:46 AM »
Ouch!!!!!
What have i let myself in for?
Please can you summarise the ‘tales of woe’ and ‘issues’
I perhaps ought to know before i go any further.
Kind regards

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 12:44:22 PM »
Sorry, Fred, but I can't summarise the entire thread so you'll have to skip through it. Many of the posts are about the service received and not necessarily the loco, but all I can say is that, considering you'd think the livery was the only difference between the LMR and the BR Dubdee, then why were there more complaints about the LMR version? I wouldn't let it get to you as who knows how small a percentage of overall sales resulted in problems?

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 01:31:48 PM »
I bought an LMR set from ebay recently, it seems fine.  Not quite as smooth and slow running as many of my european N models but to be fair it's not run in yet.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 01:53:47 PM »
Did yours come with the DCC chip already fitted? Im still not sure what to do about running in as to whether i should take a blanking plug out of another loco to run in on DC before i put the DCC pcb back in to run thereafter on DC, ( i may run it DCC once in a while on somebody elses layout).

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 02:11:54 PM »
Did yours come with the DCC chip already fitted? Im still not sure what to do about running in as to whether i should take a blanking plug out of another loco to run in on DC before i put the DCC pcb back in to run thereafter on DC, ( i may run it DCC once in a while on somebody elses layout).

Safest for you is to remove DCC chip,and replace with a spare blanking plug for all running.

If/ when you go DCC, you can replace it, or get the latest Bachmann/ Zimo chip which is much better and flog the old one on E@@y !

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=37558.0
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 02:29:21 PM »
Did yours come with the DCC chip already fitted?
Not actually been into the tender yet, but I don't believe the sets  come DCC fitted. There's nothing on the box or in the instructions to indicate otherwise, though the instruction sheet does give guidance on fitting a decoder.

Im still not sure what to do about running in as to whether i should take a blanking plug out of another loco to run in on DC before i put the DCC pcb back in to run thereafter on DC.

Run it in as-is. If it were DCC factory fitted you'd have no other choice. 

The standard advice about running in on DC is about making sure the loco is all ok before you fit your own decoder, as if the loco is stiff or duff the decoder isn't going to make it better and you could blow the decoder if the faulty loco is drawing too much current.

When you first fit your own decoder - especially if hard-wiring - it's recommended to ramp up gently on DC first rather than going straight to DCC power just in case the wiring is incorrect and there's a short.  With socketed decoders mis-wiring is less likely but there is still the chance of plugging in the wrong way round.

If you plan to run it mainly on DC I still would source a blanking plate for long-term use though, just so you get running characteristics more in keeping with your other DC locos.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 02:32:33 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 07:06:00 PM »
yeah... as others have said i would just put a blanking plug in it and run on dc

good luck

tim

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 11:13:51 AM »
As an aside, I have a selection of blanking plugs from various locos that have become separated from their original boxes, so I can’t tell what they belong to. There are several different ones (all Farish), some have components on, some don’t. I have noted the locos have internal pcb’s some with components on, some without, or with fewer. Are the blanking plugs interchangeable? I asked Farish, giving the codes printed on them, but never got a reply to this one.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 12:07:43 PM »
As an aside, I have a selection of blanking plugs from various locos that have become separated from their original boxes, so I can’t tell what they belong to. There are several different ones (all Farish), some have components on, some don’t. I have noted the locos have internal pcb’s some with components on, some without, or with fewer. Are the blanking plugs interchangeable? I asked Farish, giving the codes printed on them, but never got a reply to this one.

Generally yes - they work electrically in any. Some may be physically bulkier than others which will limit their use.

The ones with coils etc on them are generally from newer models like the Duchess, 4F, etc.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here