!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Rugby North Yard  (Read 972 times)

Offline mark100

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Rugby North Yard
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 08:34:12 PM »
reckon the peaks class 45s came down from tunstall / northwich via birmingham direction - i remember them
Thanks, I wondered where the coal came from,  I mentioned the Goods Shed and Coal yard because Anthony said he was still thinking about what part of Rugby to model. At least that side of the line had some character back then.

:thankyousign:
You cant get better than a Betta Fish

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 08:48:01 PM »
maybe nottinghamshire coalfields via the great central route ?
blue / grey era diesels / electrics and suitable stock

Offline 37058

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14122
  • 37058 Stafford 29-05-99 1D71 1203 BNS - HHD
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 12:11:35 AM »
There use to be a cracking Goods Shed at the North end with sidings and a coal yard, that road vehicles accessed via wood street.
I remember seeing Peaks, 40's and 58's delivering to the coal yard.
It was all demolished around 1985 - 86 
It was next to a multi story building with a 2 level car park it was called Myson House back then, I don't know what its called now.

I had a look on Google but couldn't find photos.

If anyone has photo's it would be nice to see them.

This would of been on the down side and there did used to be sidings full of coal and mixed traffic wagons. Not sure if it was a coal yard as such, but most possibly? After a quick flick through Warwickshire railways, I have come across this...

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrrm881.htm

Photo was taken in the late 1920's and the bottom right hand corner may of been the yards you mention. Strangely enough, exactly where the foot bridge is, there stands a new one today (The Black Path) in exactly the same position. The area where the sidings were is now Woodside Park Industrial estate, which is just off Wood Street, so it makes sense as there is a building on the corner of Railway Terrace named Myson House with a small 2 level car park. 

Cheers
Anthony   

Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

Next exhibition for SSA - Wrec-Rail - Saturday 29th June 2019

Offline 37058

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2018, 12:25:40 AM »
Watching with interest! Iíd love to do the whole station, but even with some compression I reckon you need c10m to avoid it being too squashed!

should be good though.

Cheers boss.

Yes, for me and what current space I have Rugby even modelled in the early to mid 1990's would be out of the question, never mind when it had around 5 mechanical signal boxes pre 1960! The main station area would not be an issue, but the southern approach with the down Northampton flyover, down fast 'Rat hole' as well as the up fast underpass would be a skill in it's own right to build. Never mind the northern approach with the up Coventry flyover and the TV lines diverging off to the right underneath! I remember seeing a website years ago where a guy was having ago in 4mm! Not seen the website for many years, so I'm guessing he has give up :smiley-laughing:

I'm going to be happy modelling my own little piece of RY, something I have been wanting to do for many years now. Now if it was Stafford station, this is a lot easier. More of that to come in the future ;)

Cheers
Anthony   
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

Offline 37058

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2018, 12:41:04 AM »
reckon the peaks class 45s came down from tunstall / northwich via birmingham direction - i remember them
Thanks, I wondered where the coal came from,  I mentioned the Goods Shed and Coal yard because Anthony said he was still thinking about what part of Rugby to model. At least that side of the line had some character back then.

:thankyousign:

Ohhh no, I have certainly made my mind up now. See opening post. I am wanting to model this virtually as was 1997 - early 2000's.

Early to mid 90's modelling is what interests me, but just recently I have been fancying something a little more modern, well anything post 97 is modern for me. So a little fringe modelling here with the end of Transrail and the starts of EWS. So unfortunately for some, a 66 may be seen on the layout :doh:

Just for reference, just behind where I am modelling was the site of the new coal yard. By this time imported coal travelled down in MEA wagons from Immingham Docks then later it came in from Portbury, Bristol. This was then unloaded into lorry's to be delivered to the near by Rugby cement works. 

Cheers
Anthony

Offline 37058

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2018, 12:43:13 AM »
some nice pictures of real location and i like your class 08

good luck with the layout

tim

Thank you Tim.

Well I always say if your going to do it, at least try and do it right, or at least near as damn it :smiley-laughing:

Cheers
Anthony

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018, 06:46:43 AM »
Never mind the northern approach with the up Coventry flyover and the TV lines diverging off to the right underneath!
Actually, before 1960, there was no flyover and the trains from Coventry often had to wait for several minutes for a clear slot in the Trent Valley traffic before they were allowed to cross over onto the UP main.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2018, 08:15:57 AM »
Itís a good period to model - surprised to see Mainline locos there, with Transrsil and EWS and some lingering sectorisation models it gives a good mix. Before the ubiquity of 66s too!

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2018, 09:54:07 AM »
the odd dutch liveried class 31 and a grubby class 08. would find tamper machines a challenge !!!!!!!!!!

Offline dmck123

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2018, 07:33:39 PM »
Hi Anthony,

I will be following with interest. This looks like a great idea for a layout. I am a big fan of the wcml in the mid to late 90s. There were so many different and interesting things to model.

There is a set of at least 5 videos on YouTube from rugby in 1997. Iíve found them very useful for stock ideas on my layout. Shot from the station rather than the yard, but it might still be interesting for you.

All the best
Dave

https://youtu.be/e0-SMhNsKIc

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2018, 07:56:59 PM »
we will all be following progress dave - i model the wcml era 80s / 90s

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2018, 08:08:15 PM »
Its good to see the 08 in a decent livery :)

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here