New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Derailing DMU Trailer Car  (Read 295 times)

Offline daversmth

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Derailing DMU Trailer Car
« on: June 28, 2018, 10:41:49 AM »
Hi All,

I have a newly acquired Farish DMU108 2 car unit and have found that the trailer car derails on some points.
I have a lot of other rolling stock and nothing else derails.

I have tried swapping the axles around to see if there is a bent one but the same axle position always derails.
I even swapped the front and rear bogies, and again it was the same bogie position that derails.

It runs perfectly over the points if I run the DMU in reverse.

My next thought is to replace all the axles, I still suspect that can be only the cause, and it is a relatively low cost fix to try next.

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks very muchly ....

Offline daversmth

• Awards
Re: Derailing DMU Trailer Car
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 11:33:56 AM »
If it is an inside boogie that derails check to coupling on the adjoining car as it may be this that is causing the derailment by not allowing enough movement

A good thought but it is the rear bogie that derails, not the one coupled to the power car.

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 01:08:05 PM »
Just run it trailer first???

Tim

Offline daversmth

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 01:56:29 PM »
Just run it trailer first???

Tim

Yes - that is what I am doing for now

Offline daversmth

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 02:00:45 PM »
I think the derailing mechanism is where I have a switch blade that is not square ended, but ramps up at the end, the flange of the wheel is climbing up the sloped end of the switch blade and then slipping off the side.

It is odd that none of my other stock does this.

I also have one another point elsewhere where my deltic stutters when crossing it.
The deltic is fine everywhere else, and all other locos run over than point ok.

Sometimes it just seems you get a combination of a particular loco or rolling stock and a particular point where a problem occurs.

Online PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 06:09:51 PM »
Hi All,

I have a newly acquired Farish DMU108 2 car unit and have found that the trailer car derails on some points.
I have a lot of other rolling stock and nothing else derails.

I have tried swapping the axles around to see if there is a bent one but the same axle position always derails.
I even swapped the front and rear bogies, and again it was the same bogie position that derails.

It runs perfectly over the points if I run the DMU in reverse.

My next thought is to replace all the axles, I still suspect that can be only the cause, and it is a relatively low cost fix to try next.

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks very muchly ....
Unlike some; it sounds like you have done a thorough investigation to narrow down the fault to the unit and not the track.  :thumbsup:

The results of swapping wheelsets and bogies around is useful. This points towards something on the body impeding movement of the bogie in that position. It could be miss-moulding or flash on the pivot, or something else that catches the bogie as it rotates. Have you fitted the detail pieces on this end of the unit? If so do any of those impede the bogie?

Offline daversmth

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 09:28:52 AM »

Re: Unlike some; it sounds like you have done a thorough investigation to narrow down the fault to the unit and not the track. 

Yes, I have a real nose for bogies ....

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything