New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Graham Farish - Class 108 DMU  (Read 647 times)

Offline stuartgoble

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27997
    • Awards
Graham Farish - Class 108 DMU
« on: June 25, 2018, 05:57:59 PM »
Just joined the forum and first post, so please be kind.

Moving from OO to N gauge and in the process of acquiring new rolling stock I've acquired a GF Class 108 DMU three car set.  Despite all the fuss trying to get the bodies off, there appears to be the need for 2 DCC chips, one in the power car and one at the back.

Can someone help me understand how I link these together?  If indeed I need to...  I guess they need two to drive the lights etc. but for the life of me I can't work this one out.

Hope someone can shed some light.

Many thanks.

Offline Philip.

• N Gauge Society Number: 27332
    • Twitter
    • My N Gauge Railway
    • Awards
Re: Graham Farish - Class 108 DMU
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 09:17:25 PM »
Fit the 2 decoders then put the 108 on the programming track if its long enough and you will be able to program them together. If you have to do it on the main track remove any other DCC fitted locos or else you program those too. Welcome to the forum btw :hellosign:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 09:24:57 PM »
Hi Stuart, and welcome to the forum :wave: (from an old DC dinosaur)

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 09:53:44 PM »
if both the trailer and powered car show red / white at the same time you can fix this by changing the direction in one of them.  you can programme one of them so that it switches forward to reverse.... i think it is the value in cv29 that controls this, but look at the instructions or an online cv29 calculator to check this out.

taking the body off is the hardest part so well done on that!

good luck

tim

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 10:12:31 PM »
Fit the 2 decoders then put the 108 on the programming track if its long enough and you will be able to program them together. If you have to do it on the main track remove any other DCC fitted locos or else you program those too. Welcome to the forum btw :hellosign:

If it follows the pattern of the 101 DMU and Blue Pullman, the two ends are wired differently, so there is no need to change the direction in one using CV29 to get the lights to show correctly. You do indeed need two decoders, but the one in the unpowered car can be a function decoder without the motor drive capability, which might be a bit cheaper. Or you could use one that has blown up for motor control but still works light functions, if you have one.

Regarding the above quote, it is only programming the loco address that canít be done on the main track unless you remove all other dcc locos. Once the address is programmed either by this method or on the programming track, you can programme the CV values on the main track without affecting other locos decoders.

Offline stuartgoble

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 05:04:50 PM »
Thanks one and all for the help and suggestions.

Lenz Silver Mini fitted to the power car, prog'd and all is well...

However, do you think I can get the secondary car to play ball...?  I fitted a spare Hattons decoder I had around and it simply won't respond to programming.  I'm pondering a dead decoder or perhaps it needs a total reset.

Next step is to put the Lenz decoder in the back car and reset it to see if that makes anything work.  I'm also starting to suspect pickups etc in the back car, so might need to do some DMM probing...

Wish me luck  :'(

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 10:42:25 PM »
Might be un related as I can't remember if I did my 108 on the main or programming track but the other day I tried to put a decoder in my Dapol class 27 dummy, just for the lights, and it would not program read or respond on the programming track, but as soon as I popped it on the main it programmed fine, I just figured it wouldn't program on the programming track because it didn't see a motor and on the main it was not do fussy.

I am using a Gaugemaster Controller if it makes any difference.

Paul
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:15:06 AM by Paul-H »
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 09:04:26 AM »
Decoders in dummy locos/DMU cars should still program - the controller may csay they've failed because there's no motor load to allow the decoder to issue it's acknowledgement pulses.

Steven B.

Offline stuartgoble

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 06:19:29 PM »
Success!!

I finally got around to fiddling once more with the rear DMU car and all is well.  As suspected, there was no need to reverse the rear car as it looked to be wired in reverse anyway.

Many thanks to all that helped on this one.  But a little caution to those looking to do this to their GF DMU's, they really are a sod to get apart...

Stu...

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 08:05:36 PM »
congratulations  :)

tim

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 05:25:30 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I was just wondering myself if you were even meant to get inside the Graham Farish Class 101 - it arrived from eBay with no instruction sheet, and I was stumped until I saw this thread.

The guitar pick tip is awesome - I have a box of Fender picks of various sizes and two minutes later - there's the body off and I'm in business.

Offline stuartgoble

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 10:40:35 AM »
The other option (the one I use) is an iPhone opening kit.  They're a bit like a guitar pick but a little thinner.  Or at least the one i have is.

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 10:52:39 AM »
I use either 4 strips of thin plasticard or 4 plastic glue spreaders like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glue-Spreaders-Plastic-PVA-10-Spatula-Home-school-craft-Kids-Children-cheapest/191888237793
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here