!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 108 Farish DMU  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Tonye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11231
    • Awards
108 Farish DMU
« on: June 24, 2018, 09:49:54 AM »
 :hellosign: Does anyone know how the body shell removes from the chassis ?, The motor has stopped working. The motor would run then speed up and slow down again, like the brakes being applied. Now after getting warm , nothing.  :thankyousign:
Tonye

Offline BobB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27926
    • Awards
Re: 108 Farish DMU
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 09:58:35 AM »
The body just un-clips (about 4 clips each side) but it is very tight for the first time !

The problem you describe could be due to the cv settings if it is running as a dcc model. If the top voltage (cv 5 usually) has a value less than the half way voltage (cv 6) then the erratic running you describe is quite often the result !.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 10:01:29 AM »
The bad running also be the dreaded split gear,  only just recently had one go on both a 108 and 101, both bought about the same time, seems they only last so long. 

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 10:05:11 AM »
Got a million Farish models with the dreaded split gear (well, I am prone to exaggeration occasionally), and as Caz suggests, could be the culprit  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Tonye

• N Gauge Society Number: 11231
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 07:33:07 PM »
 :hellosign: and  :thankyousign: guys, When it was running it was smooth , I`m confident it`s not split gears . The motor seemed to warm up quickly. unfortunately this unit has hardly been used.
Tonye

Offline dodger

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 08:05:22 PM »
:hellosign: and  :thankyousign: guys, When it was running it was smooth , I`m confident it`s not split gears . The motor seemed to warm up quickly. unfortunately this unit has hardly been used.
The symptoms also apply to the motor failing.

Dodger

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 09:18:51 PM »
Back to getting the body off, either 4 bits of thin plasticard to release the 4 little lugs of 4 of the little plastic glue spreaders they sell in craft shops, I use the glue spreaders on mine as they are nice and soft and don't damage anything they shouldn't.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 09:46:03 PM »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 10:07:00 PM »
That's them.
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 11:30:33 PM »
I have a second-hand 108 that ran beautifully when I put it on a temporary test track, but struggled a week later on my layout. It turned out to be a broken brass strip that made contact on the curved test track (I was on holiday in Ireland at Christmas and only had one length of flexi-track for testing), but was intermittent on straight track. A minute with the soldering iron fixed it.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 12:23:03 AM »
(I was on holiday in Ireland at Christmas and only had one length of flexi-track for testing)

Ladies and Gentlemen, that is what you call being dedicated to your modelling, a lesson we can all learn by - the man takes his test track on holiday with him!   ;D
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 10:25:28 PM »
To be fair, it was Christmas and I knew I was getting a faulty 108 as a present - as I'd spotted it on Ebay and decided that at 40-odd quid, it was worth a punt (pun intended) and so informed the wife that she could get me that for Christmas  :) Absolute bargain, as it turned out to be a 5-minute fix and even had a DCC decoder in the driven car.

Offline Knight of the Thistle

• N Gauge Society Number: 15658
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 03:29:44 PM »
Hi All,

I have a quick question about the Farish Class 108/101; is the centre car identical for both models or are they significantly different?

Also, does anyone sell centre cars independently - otherwise I suppose ebay is the best option.

Cheers

Matthew

Offline bees

• N Gauge Society Number: 28138
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 04:24:04 PM »
In my experience, I have found two issues that seem to come up from with this chassis (it's the same chassis for the 101/108/150 & EMUs too)

1. IF they've been over Oiled, then the Oil can seep inside the Worm Gear or inside the Flywheel. n.b. could be a fault at the Factory.

2. The contact arms that come down from the PCB through the Chassis Block and touch onto the Motor Contacts, these should be touching onto the outer side of the Motor Contacts and MUST not be shorting on the Chassis Block.

It sounds like it could possibly be the first fault, if you are confident, involves stripping everything down to clear up excess Oil and may result in having to get a replacement Motor assembly.

Steven
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

Offline tunneroner61

• N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 05:09:57 PM »
I have a quick question about the Farish Class 108/101; is the centre car identical for both models or are they significantly different?
They are different - take a look at prototype info here https://www.railcar.co.uk/
If you are modelling era is towards the end of the life of the classic DMU quite often types got mixed up within sets. Take a browse here http://www.hondawanderer.com/

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal