!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury  (Read 46917 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury
« Reply #1140 on: February 13, 2020, 08:06:13 AM »
Take care Leon.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1141 on: February 13, 2020, 08:43:01 AM »
Hi Leon, I hope everything is settling down now. My late father had a Rodent Ulcer, (carcinoma),  removed from his nose. At the time, there was a childrens television character called 'Roland Rat', which is the nickname my Dads nose acquired.  :). Enjoy the Dallas trip, (and the new car).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1142 on: February 13, 2020, 01:54:14 PM »
 :hellosign:
  Look forward to seeing pictures as soon as you up for it, take care your health comes first
      regards Derek.

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1143 on: February 16, 2020, 09:18:59 PM »
Danny, the 'new car' is three years old. I bought a Ford C-MAX Energi. I think you may have them in the UK. I know the model was imported from Europe around 2014 - and production here was discontinued in September 2017 (it's too small for American tastes and with the lowering cost of petrol it didn't fit the market). It has all the 'bells and whistles' so we'll enjoy it I think. My Chevrolet Impala was supposed to be my last car, but I gave it to our granddaughter. The Ford is now the last - if it proves to be as reliable as the Chevrolet. We no longer need a large car so the size is just right for us.

The Dallas trip has been postponed so I'll try to get some photos taken this week, and maybe even a little road paving.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1144 on: February 16, 2020, 09:30:11 PM »
spent a few days selecting and buying a car.

You confuse me Sir, (not difficult these days.  :)). Still, however old it is, as long as you are happy with it is all that matters.  :thumbsup:
David.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1145 on: February 16, 2020, 09:57:26 PM »
Ahhhh, I assumed that I had said 'new car'. Sorry for the confusion. I don't need any of that either! We tend to say 'new" whenever we buy anything whether it's new or pre-owned.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1146 on: February 22, 2020, 10:12:31 PM »
That photograph looks excellent, Leon.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1147 on: February 22, 2020, 10:23:03 PM »
Leon

That looks really good.
Itís all coming together really nicely.
More pictures please.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1148 on: February 23, 2020, 06:33:48 AM »
It's nice to see a picture of the whole layout.  :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1149 on: February 23, 2020, 02:41:29 PM »
Yes, that is looking pretty good Leon.  :thumbsup:
David.

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #1150 on: February 23, 2020, 04:40:15 PM »
looking good Leon

All the best,

Alex

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1151 on: February 23, 2020, 09:53:02 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
      Looking good Leon, nice progress   :thumbsup:
          regards Derek.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1152 on: February 24, 2020, 05:24:16 PM »
re: State of Wiltsbury Junction

I thought I'd be clever and just cut and paste my original post on this topic - before adding another photo and comment. It apparently worked, but I'm not sure anyone saw the update. Later today I'm going to do the same again and see what happens.

Leon

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1153 on: February 24, 2020, 05:38:14 PM »
Hi Leon

I saw the updated post, although it wasn't flagged up as an update.  Did you simply repost the whole thing with the update in it?
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1154 on: February 24, 2020, 05:47:24 PM »
In the fourth year of his Excellency Donald J. Trump, I declare the state of Wiltsbury Junction to be stable, despite some recent surgery, and assure all that it will be great again before January 20, 2021!

The Wiltsbury Junction will consist of the usual buildings supporting a busy rail junction plus an Inn, a post office/shop, and a farmhouse with barn and outbuildings. The rail system includes the avoiding line carrying traffic between London and Weymouth, and the road system represents the Warminster - Trowbridge primary road.

The image below has today recorded the entire junction; a complete rail system for travel to London, Weymouth, Portsmouth, Bristol, and the many branch stations served by GWR from these cities in 1939. Further images will follow as updates with a description of the work in progress and future plans.

Most of my recent modelling was to replace the demolished road and to add the two bridges over the rail lines. I had built a Metcalfe Tapered Retaining Wall for the road above the girder bridge, but that just didn't work. Instead, I've built up the terrain to provide for the descent of the main road to the Trowbridge line at the top of the layout. A secondary road will lead to a post office/shop in the upper quadrant of the picture.

For those unfamiliar with Westbury, my inspiration for Wiltsbury, the two bridges are as they appeared in 1939, except that the actual distance between the two was probably more like 40-50 yards. Like much of my station and rail yard, everything had to be severely compressed. More about that, later. The stone bridge is set permanently, but the girder bridge can still be lifted for some additional work to be done below.

The resin building is marking the site of a Metcalfe model for the Railway Inn, and the Goods Station will be connected to the main road passing in front of the Railway Inn. In reality, the Railway Inn is on the main road - another casualty of scale compression.

My plan is to complete the road system before moving on to some of the other layout elements. So, the next thing is to join the road that will cross the Trowbridge line. The photo above shows the road at the place where I had thought of installing a level-crossing. While building the terrain on the upper side of the rail bridges it occurred to me that it would be more prototypical to have a bridge for the road crossing, since it's a primary road and a main railway line. I'll need to build up the ground level on both sides of the rail line to accommodate the bridge (which I have on hand, fortunately) and I'll try to move ahead with that as soon as I've finished posting the remainder of 'The State of Wiltsbury'.

Leon

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal