!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury  (Read 24470 times)

Offline Vigo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury
« Reply #975 on: May 30, 2019, 11:56:48 AM »
... I've never visited the extreme southwest of Scotland and on several recent visits have considered a drive over to Stranraer. I've just planned my next trip to Scotland! Thanks, GreyWolf!

Leon

I've got a nice 2 bed cottage for sale there at the moment if you like the area for £135k (blatant sales plug  :sorrysign:).
In Memoriam: https://hadfieldsite.wordpress.com/

Latest project: San Pablo - Rural Spain in miniature (HOe ish)

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #976 on: May 30, 2019, 05:42:18 PM »
I've got a nice 2 bed cottage for sale there at the moment if you like the area for £135k (blatant sales plug  :sorrysign:).

A few years ago I just might have had an interest. Probably something nearer to Edinburgh would have been my preference, though.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #977 on: June 06, 2019, 02:18:46 AM »
The Gods smiled on us during the last few days of our UK holiday. We were able to do S. S. Great Britain, Longleat, and Didcot. All three venues were exceptional experiences. My photo album Didcot, 2019 can be viewed at https://photos.app.goo.gl/5MJqKCgaaLayHcpd8. There has been no editing but the photographs are listed chronologically from my arrival. I was able to take the train from Bath Spa to Didcot Parkway and was at the ticket office within two minutes!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #978 on: June 07, 2019, 04:06:29 PM »
I'm considering the purchase of a Winchester Castle, Graham Farish. The tender sports the Coat of Arms logo which was replaced with the "shirtbutton" - in 1934. the Winchester Castle was built in 1935. The GWR Coat of Arms is said to have been re-introduced around 1942, but that is the date when the monogram logo - GWR - replaced the "shirtbutton". I guess I'm confused. Can anybody explain to me why the Winchester Castle would bear the Coat of Arms on the tender rather than the Roundel? Or, why the Coat of Arms would have been re-introduced at the same time as the GWR monogram logo?

Leon

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #979 on: June 07, 2019, 07:34:58 PM »
I'm considering the purchase of a Winchester Castle, Graham Farish. The tender sports the Coat of Arms logo which was replaced with the "shirtbutton" - in 1934. the Winchester Castle was built in 1935. The GWR Coat of Arms is said to have been re-introduced around 1942, but that is the date when the monogram logo - GWR - replaced the "shirtbutton". I guess I'm confused. Can anybody explain to me why the Winchester Castle would bear the Coat of Arms on the tender rather than the Roundel? Or, why the Coat of Arms would have been re-introduced at the same time as the GWR monogram logo?

Leon

Leon

Two questions.

I'm no expert on Graham Farish locomotives but I think Winchester Castle is one of the older models and not a current offering.  Perhaps the manufacturer was not as diligent with regard to researching the historically-correct livery as you have been.  The 'shirtbutton' monogram was, perhaps, not thought to be as attractive as the 'Great (Coat of Arms) Western' livery.  The monogram tended to look good on stationery, crockery and, at the opposite end of the scale, buildings.  However, it often looked weak on the tender or tank side of a locomotive.

As for your second question, the Coat of Arms was re-introduced in 1942 for the most important locomotives as 'G (Coat of Arms) W'.  Lesser locomotives received the widely-spaced 'G W R' lettering .  The monogram continued post-1942 for certain uses, such as road vehicles.

Put simply, passenger carriages' liveries went the opposite way!

I hope this helps and glad to discuss.

Best wishes.

John
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 07:50:16 PM by Train Waiting »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #980 on: June 07, 2019, 08:15:15 PM »
Hi Leon

Iím a little confused but believe your potential purchase (Winchester Castle) is in GW green livery with GREAT (Coat of Arms) WESTERN on the tender.
I agree with John (TW) that 5042 could well have received that Coat of Arms in 1942 which, if I remember correctly, suits your chosen period?

If it is the one I have looked at on Ebay, it appears to be in good condition for an older GF model.

Regards
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #981 on: June 07, 2019, 09:46:08 PM »
Thanks for the comments and explanations. I think John is right about the earlier models being less prototypical. Martin you didn't seem confused to me! You have it right and I think 5042 probably did receive the Coat of Arms in 1942. (I presumed that all locomotives adopted the GWR logo in 1942.) I can extend the period I'm modeling through 1942, but am trying to make everything compatible with the 1939-41 period, so I'll pass on the Winchester, probably. I'll not need it for launching railway operations, and there will probably be other choices by that time. In the meantime, I need to replace at least two tank locomotives that bear the GWR logo with "shirtbutton" locos.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #982 on: June 15, 2019, 11:52:45 PM »

While at Didcot, I photographed the Pendennis Castle - in the final stage of restoration. The two gentlemen opposite the tender introduced themselves and spoke briefly with me about the restoration.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #983 on: June 16, 2019, 09:21:13 PM »
Back in February, I bought a 14t Tank Wagon 'National Benzole' Graham Farish No 373-650 'N' Gauge on eBay for 12.50 Sterling and thought I'd paid too much! Today, the same seller was paid 17.00 Sterling for the identical model - again on eBay. I'm not going to beat a dead horse - again.

Leon

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #984 on: June 16, 2019, 09:39:25 PM »
I have noticed that tank wagons, particularly milk tankers are usually dearer than any other wagons.  Can any one explain why?

Nice picture of 'Pendennis Castle' Leon.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:41:11 PM by dannyboy »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #985 on: June 17, 2019, 08:04:25 AM »
I have noticed that tank wagons, particularly milk tankers are usually dearer than any other wagons.  Can any one explain why?

Nice picture of 'Pendennis Castle' Leon.  :thumbsup:
It might be that they are 6-wheel vehicles.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #986 on: June 26, 2019, 09:49:37 PM »
I haven't posted a layout progress report for quite a while - as there hasn't been much progress! Ballasting has been completed for all rails except the station, which I'm leaving until I've completed some buildings. Today, I checked the first three points that I ballasted and all three are inoperable! I thought I was taking sufficient care, but the works are "gummed up" somewhere. I'll value comments on ballasting points, as there are a few more yet to ballast!!! All I did was cover the switches with masking tape and try to keep the ballasting away from the blades. Apparently, the PVA seeped beneath the Kato molded rails.

I can report that my new Dapol 8700 Pannier arrived yesterday and ran just fine out of the box. That's a relief, but the fact the rails were still conducting electricity was even more satisfying. I only tested the outer (down) avoiding line, however. When I found the points were "gummed up" I didn't bother to test the other rails. I've still some track cleaning to do, but the 8700 stopped at only one place and hesitated on one other. I'll be vacuuming the entire layout and patching some of the grassy areas before moving on to my building construction. The rails will be left (and the other points tested) until after I've studied the problem. I'm still having fun! Really!!!  :D

Leon
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 09:28:56 PM by Leon, Reason: Correction and clarification »

Offline dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #987 on: June 26, 2019, 10:26:24 PM »
@Leon
Leon, like you I learned the hard way when it comes to ballasting Kato points  :'(. When it comes to the points, I now cover the rails and the manual point changer with masking tape. I then run a bead of neat PVA on the side of the moulded ballast, allowing it to run on to the baseboard, I then carefully add the ballast onto the PVA - I do not use a 50/50 PVA solution any where near the point. Will the points move by manually operating the lever? I managed to free one by operating the lever hundreds, (well a lot), of times. I hope you can sort out the 'gummed up' points.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #988 on: June 29, 2019, 12:11:45 AM »
I've been reading stories of Tullibardine malt whiskey tastings around the country - back in the day. My curiosity led me to Wikipedia to discover that the distillery was established in 1949. The wagon transporting the whiskey is obviously a 21st-century marketing device - obvious to those running it but confusing to me!  :D I wonder if there was ever a user-owned wagon sporting this logo?

Leon

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here