New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)  (Read 12368 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2018, 02:48:15 AM »
The Ordnance Survey Map I've been using was drawn after 1942 for it includes the East Loop Junction, completed in that year. It reveals a far smaller track system and simpler operational complexity than was in use by the '50s and '60s. I think I'm finished with my research and am content my layout will properly represent Westbury Junction as it appeared circa 1938-42. This part of the project probably represents my best efforts, for I've not modelled for nearly 50 years and don't expect to achieve the quality I see in photographs of many in this forum. Still it's been fun, and I'll continue to enjoy the challenges ahead.

Leon

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2018, 06:32:35 AM »
You're in good  :hmmm: company Leon.  When I started my layout just over eighteen months ago, it was after a 30 year gap so my scenery is making very slow progress and I'm taking an age getting everything running as I would want.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2018, 01:32:02 PM »
You're in good  :hmmm: company Leon.  When I started my layout just over eighteen months ago, it was after a 30 year gap so my scenery is making very slow progress and I'm taking an age getting everything running as I would want.

Laurence, thanks for the encouragement. I think I'll feel a bit better when I have the baseboard constructed and start laying the track (the next challenge). Converting my AnyRail plan to a real layout should be fun (with a few expected frustrations).

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2018, 09:51:54 PM »

Laurence, I feel like I'm out of my depth among so many of you whose skills I admire but do not share. I built a few airplanes when I was a teenager, and buit a simple 00 layout for our son in 1977. I've collected art all my life and have spent most of my retirement years selling it - but I have no practical artistic talent, despite courses taken at college. My mechanical appitude is near zero, and I've never been able to do even routine household repairs. So, why have I decided to model at my age? My only explanation is that I enjoy the design element and the associated historical research. But, if I'm going to build a layout, I'll have to model some buildings and scenery! Everything will be out of the box with the minimum amount of assembly. I've bought a few things, already - mainly Metcalfe card kits. I don't say this to apologize, for I think the purpose of the forum is to share all sorts of related interests with those who share a love for the railways. I'll enjoy whatever I'm able to create, and I'll continue to follow the threads of people like you on this forum and assimilate what I can.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2018, 12:47:15 AM »
I think I owe the Forum an apology for starting this thread prematurely. I'm awaiting my baseboard construction, but haven't been able to keep my fingers away from the keyboard and AnyRail. The plan I said was finished keeps evolving! That's the result of better historical understanding, primarily, thanks largely to Mike whose help cannot be overstated. I've come to understand, however, that an 8' x 4' board will not accommodate what I want to communicate. I have, therefore, taken a more pragmatic view of my asperations and thinking more about inspiration than representation. I have changed the names of my stations (Wiltsbury, Biss River, and Marsh View) and titled the layout Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury Station.

Today, I ran my first trains since 1977! I finally was able to set up track and test the locomotives I've purchased over the past three months. For the most part, I'm pleased, but there were some surprises. The first one I ran didn't want to run! I was using the Kato M1 track set purchased used (like new). Although the seller claimed it had hardly been out of the box, there were remnants of glue on some of the rails. Except for this rail set all of my track is new and I haven't yet bought track cleaner, but I was able to scrape off the offending glue and the loco ran, albeit unevenly. The next three locomotives (one of which was bought new from a shop) were also somewhat sluggish. One would not run at all, initially, but after a little coaxing it proceeding around the oval both forward and reverse and after warming up ran quite well. I attributed all of the shortcomings to the track, but then I tested the last loco and was delighted with the result. It was smooth and quiet and ran well at slow speeds as well as faster (I ran all of them up to  three quarters speed).

My inventory and the order of testing:

GWR green with roundel, 14XX 0-4-2T, 1420, Dapol ND-004

GWR Green 5700 Pannier Tank 5768, Graham Farish 1114

Caledonian 4-4-0, Graham Farish

GWR Green 64XX Pannier Tank 6407, Graham Farish 371-985

GWR Lined Green, Earl of Dunraven, Castle Class 5044, Graham Farish 372-030

My testing was very basic (no running through points), but the Earl of Dunraven deserves a 10. The others between 4 and 6. The new Pannier tank (6407) was especially noisy, and the Dopal which was advertised as "Mint boxed condition. Never been run. Will need full running in" apparently needs a lot of "running in".

More about running stock when I have a layout on which to run them! I'll be buying one more locomotive for main line freight duty and I'll pay the premium and buy a recent production model. Any suggestions?

Leon

Offline kelstonlad

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2018, 08:11:38 AM »
Certainly won't be the most appropriate, but have you thought about a King? I'm from GWR country, and a King class was top of my list for a model to get. Along with a Castle, a Manor and a Hall, of course :). I know it's a bit grand for freight, but they might have been used with milk trains.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=36310.0

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2018, 03:17:59 PM »
How about the Dapol 28xx for your mainline freight? That would be a fine-looking beast!
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2018, 04:55:35 PM »
I like the look of the Dapol 28xx very much. Until I've run my Dapol tank a bit more, however, I'm reluctant to buy another Dapol. My experience with the the Graham Farish  Earl of Dunraven encourages me to buy that brand. I know my experience is too limited to be so judgemental, but I'm a typical consumer and base my buying practices on whatever experience I have. I WILL, most likely buy a King for a second passenger locomotive, but I really need something to move goods.

Thanks for the input, and I'll be interested to read more about the Dapol 28xx.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2018, 05:08:47 PM »
I also like the looks of the Dapol 2S-019-001 N GAUGE GRANGE KINGSTONE GRANGE GWR GREEN SHIRTBUTTON 6820, but have no knowledge of where it worked. I'm assuming it was used for goods, but don't know that for fact. Has anyone bought this model?

Leon

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2018, 05:38:56 PM »
I believe that Granges were mixed traffic. I am sure I've seen pics of them on freight trains.

I have read through your older posts today and just wondered if you could fit a turntable in the between the loco shed and the curved branch line with a kickback from the lower loco track? The Peco table is only 6 inches in diameter or, maybe, I have misjudged the size of that area. Just a thought.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2018, 05:45:07 PM »
I believe that Granges were mixed traffic. I am sure I've seen pics of them on freight trains.

I have read through your older posts today and just wondered if you could fit a turntable in the between the loco shed and the curved branch line with a kickback from the lower loco track? The Peco table is only 6 inches in diameter or, maybe, I have misjudged the size of that area. Just a thought.

Chris, I may be adding a coal staging building in that area of the layout. Plus, a map of my period doesn't show a turntable - and after 1942 a turntable would have been redundant (though a turntable was in use in the 1960s).

Leon

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2018, 05:57:28 PM »
Aha. I see. I have some familiarity with the whole Westbury area having been born and raised in nearby Bristol so I will enjoy watching your layout grow.

Are you thinking of incorporating any Southern locos and stock?

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2018, 06:15:35 PM »
Aha. I see. I have some familiarity with the whole Westbury area having been born and raised in nearby Bristol so I will enjoy watching your layout grow.

Are you thinking of incorporating any Southern locos and stock?

Chris, I'm reading The Southern Handbook: The Southern Railway 1923-1947 at the moment and gaining a new appreciation for that network. Hopefully, when the book is completed I'll have a better understanding of the services they ran in cooperation with GWR.

I didn't thank you in my previous message for your suggestion. So, thank you very much for the input and I hope I'll achieve something worthwile - eventually. As I've said more than once, every time I think I've finished the plan I find something else to tweek (the coaling stage is an example, arising from a '60s photo of the station shared by Martin on this forum).

My other major project is genealogy and I'm finding that railroad modeling has much in common with the former: neither project will ever be finished!

Leon

Online ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2018, 06:30:42 PM »
I like the look of the Dapol 28xx very much. Until I've run my Dapol tank a bit more, however, I'm reluctant to buy another Dapol.

Leon,

I have two Dapol tanks, a pannier and a small prairie, which were bought new in 2015 from the UK and sent to Japan.  I never had any problems with running in either, although the prairie is not able to handle much of a load. 

I have avoided Dapol GW tender engines because the tenders are on the low side and could be noisy, I was not impressed with the early Manors after watching Youtube videos. 

I WILL, most likely buy a King for a second passenger locomotive

Perhaps you should consider adding your name to the DJ Models list if it is still open.  See http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=36310.0
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 06:34:26 PM by ten0G, Reason: Corrected link. »

Online Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2018, 06:31:04 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Union Mills Collett for goods

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38775.0

Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here