!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury  (Read 32613 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury
« Reply #960 on: April 24, 2019, 03:37:10 AM »
David, I've been to Ireland (toured via car one summer), but not Northern Ireland. It's on my list and maybe next year? For many years we've flown Aer Lingus via Dublin. It would be easy enough to fly up to Belfast for a few days before crossing over to Edinburgh. In recent years the problem for us has been to accommodate our relatives in Scotland and spend time with our son in Somerset. It's a problem I like to have but would like to broaden my travel experience a bit.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #961 on: April 24, 2019, 06:27:10 AM »
Leon, IMHO it's best to drive up from Dublin - lovely scenery - maybe stop overnight somewhere then take the ferry from Larne to Cairnryan. [http://www.poferries.com/eu/cairnryan-larne] about 2 hrs and a nice drive to Glasgow - Edinburgh. We've done that a number of times when mother was still with us.

Cheers  :beers:

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #962 on: April 24, 2019, 04:05:52 PM »
GreyWolf, thanks for your suggestion with which I totally agree. Short flights aren't worth the time savings, usually. I've taken many ferry links on the west coast of Scotland, so I'd have no hesitation using that mode of transportation. I've never visited the extreme southwest of Scotland and on several recent visits have considered a drive over to Stranraer. I've just planned my next trip to Scotland! Thanks, GreyWolf!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #963 on: April 24, 2019, 09:44:31 PM »
Today, I took delivery of Graham Farish 371-626, GWR Railcar Shirtbutton. Purchased second-hand on eBay for $41.00; the retail sticker shows $125.50. I already had 371-629 which I purchased new for $81. Now, that's the way to buy used items! I'll not know for a while if it's a good runner, but we take that risk every time we buy used. It doesn't matter a lot, as I just needed to show another railcar on the returning rail line or in the station.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #964 on: May 05, 2019, 08:38:59 PM »
Arrived Edinburgh mid-day, yesterday, hungover from jet lag but grateful for a smooth journey. After a day of refreshment today, I'll pick up a car from Enterprise tomorrow for a few short trips. Tuesday is my day for Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway and Scotland's largest Railway Museum. I couldn't resist the purchase of "Britain's Preserved Locomotives" from W. H. Smith. It's a nice presentation in an attractive format which I'll enjoy reading and probably leave with my son. Magazines and books are just too heavy to lug in and out of airports!

Leon

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #965 on: May 05, 2019, 08:57:17 PM »
Glad the journey over went well Leon. Enjoy your holiday.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #966 on: May 05, 2019, 10:11:59 PM »
Welcome to Scotland, Leon.

It's good to have you here.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #967 on: May 06, 2019, 06:39:29 AM »
Yes, enjoy your time in Blighty while it's still in one piece.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #968 on: May 06, 2019, 10:53:00 AM »
Yes, enjoy your time in Blighty while it's still in one piece.

Laurence, you have as many clowns in your government as we. But, never mind, all will be well once the dust settles. Our two governments are bigger and stronger than our elected officials - thank God!

Leon

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #969 on: May 06, 2019, 02:42:23 PM »
Welcome indeed Leon! :D
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #970 on: May 12, 2019, 03:56:02 PM »
Arrived in Somerset yesterday. Nice weather! We'll be watching our son's house and dog while he and his wife go sailing.

Here's our home away from home! https://photos.app.goo.gl/NXBLCadKw6Ysq6Fy8

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #971 on: May 27, 2019, 09:23:07 AM »
I've made an offer for an eBay item in need of some restoration - https://www.ebay.com/itm/382964668733?ul_noapp=true#viTabs_0.
The locomotive doesn't fit the era I'm modelling but the loco class is of interest and I thought I might learn something without making a huge investment. I'd be pleased to hear what some of you think regarding the difficulty of bringing this one back to life. I must accept the seller's counter offer today. Thanks!

Leon

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #972 on: May 27, 2019, 12:51:36 PM »
This is one of the very early Halls with a plastic chassis and a can motor for which there may be no spares available. personally I wouldn't touch it, and wait for a later model with a metal chassis - plenty of spares for those

Regards,

Alex

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #973 on: May 27, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »
Alex, thanks for your advice which I will accept!

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #974 on: May 30, 2019, 10:05:22 AM »
My annual sojourn to Scotland and England is about to reach either a climax - or a conclusion. The best-laid plans often don't work out. Our trip to Southeast Somerset Railway preceded their opening by a couple of days! It's not that far away we couldn't repeat it, but I've not managed Didcot yet! Didcot will be the climax on Saturday - if it can be worked into the final days. There's always next year (?). I did manage to see the Boness and Kinniel Railway but missed the museum due to the poor timing of my visit.

I've not left too many bargains on eBay during the last couple weeks. I've bought three locomotives, a half dozen wagons, a coach, and several miscellaneous items. With my purchases from Harborn's in Edinburgh, I've added considerably to the hoard that was awaiting me when I arrived in Somerset (online purchases over the past year).

I'm not ready to return home, but my money is running out and my son's hospitality has limits! Hopefully, the flight home will not be too exhausting and I'll be back at work on the layout this time next week. Health permitting, I'll have some photos to share (holiday and railway) soon.

Leon

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
November Donations

Advertise Here