!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury  (Read 24698 times)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury
« Reply #945 on: March 31, 2019, 07:21:14 PM »
I do hope you are on the mend Leon.
I agree about the airline,  whenever I fly I end up sniffly with a sore throat.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #946 on: March 31, 2019, 08:30:10 PM »
@port perran 
You're not flying with the best airline, though, Martin

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #947 on: April 02, 2019, 01:05:30 AM »
I note that Hatton's are taking pre-orders for Graham Farish PO wagons for as much as  19.51. A lot has been written about prices, and I've done more than my share of complaining, but this just blows my mind! Is this the new norm, or just until the next recession? I have funds with RBS for my expenditures while visiting Britain, but I'll not be buying wagons - at those prices. Thankfully, I don't really need any rolling stock to complete my layout. My average expenditure for wagons (new and used) is probably 7.50; coaches maybe 14.50.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #948 on: April 02, 2019, 01:39:39 AM »
Hope you are over your cold Leon. Reading the earlier posts about catching things on planes made me think about Mott Haven Carriage Yard on the New York Central. I'm building a 'model' of Grand Central and other notable bits of NYC railroads (like Penn station, Sunnyside Yard, New York Connecting Railroad and a chunk of the Long Island Railroad - it is all rather, well, big) on my PC. Apparently, Grand Central Depot, which was the above-ground NYC terminal that preceded the modern Grand Central Terminal didn't have a whole lot of room for storing coaches so a yard was built at Mott Haven in the Bronx just north of the Harlem River where the Harlem and Hudson Divisions split. If any train conductor reported illnesses (or even deaths) on the train the coaches would be taken to Mott Haven and gased for several hours with Formaldehyde! I doubt they'd do that for planes these days though!

One thing I especially like about this hobby (even though I do it virtually) is the research and the history of things. Although I am obviously a complete and utter washout because I do it all on the PC (unlike the REAL modellers here who actually get their hands dirty) I have NO mess to worry about other than a pen and some paper on the desk and, as for layout dimensions, well I have UNLIMITED space!

We need some pics BTW.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #949 on: April 02, 2019, 03:22:37 AM »
One thing I especially like about this hobby (even though I do it virtually) is the research and the history of things.

Chris, when I'm finished with my layout (at least the basics) I think I just may do as you are doing. I only learned the fundamentals for using AnyRail, but I've enjoyed the computer planning more than the modelling. Having said that, I've not done much modelling, so maybe I've yet to experience the true joy of modelling. I've no doubt that AnyRAil would be a great tool for a project like yours. What are YOU using?

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #950 on: April 02, 2019, 03:49:29 AM »
I think AnyRail is just for planning a layout isn't it? I use the Trainz series of programs. My current version is Trainz: A New Era which is always referred to as T:ANE. There are other programs such as Microsoft Rail Sim (I think) but the concept is much the same. I like researching and building prototypes and am able to replicate them full-size e.g. my Park Avenue Tunnel is over 2 miles long. I'm modelling the late 1930s as this seems the most interesting period for me so there's more than just replicating Google Earth.

Thinking about your comment on your modelling. I think that for someone who appreciates art/paintings you will enjoy the modelling part a great deal once you get out of terraforming and playing search-and-destroy with those nasty electrical gremlins. Hand-painting your own backscene is a wonderful way of, literally, producing a landscape which is tailor-made for the layout. Forced perspective, viewing angles and vanishing points are all legitimate artistic devices which take modelling to a whole new level. Composition and balance along with careful selection of colours is all part of the fun. Computer modelling is great and, as I said before, makes NO mess and is virtually free but does lack the 'hands-on' element.

Perhaps, if I can sort it out, I will post some pics of my behemoth for you to see. I may get shot though or, at least, banished to outer darkness as it's not an N Gauge model! There may be cries of "BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!"
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #951 on: April 02, 2019, 10:00:05 AM »
At risk of going off on a tangent I believe Trainz is designed as you use it - effectively for building virtual 'models' to operate. Train Simulator (no longer Microsoft), by comparison, is more designed around operating prototype routes built by others. Anyone can build a route, but it's fairly complex. Most routes are quite comprehensive though, often comprising 50+ miles with accurate trackside features, stations etc.

I note that Hatton's are taking pre-orders for Graham Farish PO wagons for as much as  19.51. A lot has been written about prices, and I've done more than my share of complaining, but this just blows my mind! Is this the new norm, or just until the next recession? I have funds with RBS for my expenditures while visiting Britain, but I'll not be buying wagons - at those prices. Thankfully, I don't really need any rolling stock to complete my layout. My average expenditure for wagons (new and used) is probably 7.50; coaches maybe 14.50.

I rather suspect this is the new norm and I'm not sure even a recession will have a marked impact. We've seen prices on 4-wheel wagons being in this area for a while. The PCA tankers were over 20 a couple of years ago, DJM's Mermaids are in the same price bracket. There, of course, remains a healthy second hand market which we've discussed at length!

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #952 on: April 03, 2019, 07:50:55 PM »
Mmmmmm. I am deep in thought Leon. You, being a US citizen building an English layout, may require someone to bring balance back to the Trans-Atlantic force on this forum. It is only a seed of an idea which first occurred to me in the wee small hours of this morning but I am investigating the notion of an N gauge US logging line. I have always found them attractive and the scope for interesting scenery, tight curves and short trains lends itself well to a compact N gauge layout. I have ordered (from Japan) a Kato Critter chassis which could form the basis of a Shay/Climax/Heisler and I will see what I can achieve with this. Let the research and scheme-hatching  commence! :hmmm:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 07:52:53 PM by chrispearce »

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #953 on: April 14, 2019, 09:45:02 PM »
For some unknown reason, unknown to me, I don't get alerts when someone posts to this thread. As I've not been posting here myself for a while, I didn't realize until now that there are unanswered posts. Thanks to both of you! I DO enjoy the dialogue.

AnyRail is only for planning. They do have a 3-D alternative presentation. I really liked using it as I found it user-friendly. There are advanced features that I just ignored rather than taking the time to learn how to use them. All I needed was a plan that fitted my space and the ability to easily make alterations. Alterations were essential for me as I have been learning virtually everything from "square one". In order to accommodate new knowledge, it was invariably necessary to redesign the track system. Alterations have continued since I completed the initial laying of track and I'm just now finishing off lifting and re-laying a lot of track after deciding to eliminate one of my stations.

Chris, I've stated many times my limitations. I don't think anyone reading my remarks believes (or understands) how deficient I am with respect to skills that most seem to possess and take for granted! As to art, I'll restate again - I have no talent for creating art but am fortunate to have an innate ability to recognize good art. So, my layout will be very basic and will never meet my exacting standards! I can always recognize those whose layouts DO meet and exceed the quality I can appreciate.

Leon
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 01:20:08 AM by Leon, Reason: Clarification »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #954 on: April 15, 2019, 08:03:59 PM »
 :hellosign: Your layout is exactly what YOU want Leon, as long as you enjoy no worries.
   regards Derek.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #955 on: April 16, 2019, 06:58:32 PM »
Your layout is exactly what YOU want Leon, as long as you enjoy no worries.

Derek, my rail layout is what I want, and I'm very happy with it. The remainder of the layout will be what I'm able to achieve, not necessarily what I want.

What I've learned, so far, is that this hobby is so multi-faceted that one can choose any number of areas in which to concentrate. While I'm always seeking sources for materials and best practices for modelling them, my priorities will be much different from others. Backscenes and static grass are two good examples; a back scene will be the last thing I attempt to add and static grass may never get done. As you have stated, Derek, enjoyment is the name of the game.

After some track changes, I ran a locomotive over the entire layout yesterday with one controller. The down mainline polarity can be switched and a second controller used to bring a train into the station (trains on the up mainline can enter the station without switching polarity). Isolated rails and switches enable the holding of trains in the station and sidings while other movements are taking place. Trains can run in both directions on the main line while two trains are held in the station and two switching locomotives are working the sidings - all simultaneously. I think I've maximized my DC layout! I hope to post a photo of my rolling stock on the tracks soon after my return from the UK in June.

Leon

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #956 on: April 17, 2019, 09:01:26 AM »
After some track changes, I ran a locomotive over the entire layout yesterday with one controller. The down mainline polarity can be switched and a second controller used to bring a train into the station (trains on the up mainline can enter the station without switching polarity). Isolated rails and switches enable the holding of trains in the station and sidings while other movements are taking place. Trains can run in both directions on the main line while two trains are held in the station and two switching locomotives are working the sidings - all simultaneously. I think I've maximized my DC layout! I hope to post a photo of my rolling stock on the tracks soon after my return from the UK in June.
Leon

Congratulations, Leon.  That's excellent news.  I recall that, at the start of the project, you were concerned about making the electrical arrangements work.  Well, you have done so and clearly made a very good job of it.  Model railways can be great teachers and give one many little satisfactions.

Congratulations again and all best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #957 on: April 17, 2019, 10:45:50 AM »
Totally agree. It sounds like you have got the electrics well and truly sorted out.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #958 on: April 23, 2019, 09:44:24 PM »
Thanks to John and David! I'm doing a little work every day, but it's very basic stuff. Our weather hasn't been that warm, so maybe I'll be able to accomplish a bit more before we leave for the UK. My basement isn't as warm as the attics many of you work in, but there will be periods through the summer when I'll not be able to do any work at all. Like the UK, though, here in New England we can have some very cool summer periods, too. I figure you can count on cool weather from 4 May to 3 June, the dates I'll be there!

Leon

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #959 on: April 23, 2019, 10:15:12 PM »
I figure you can count on cool weather from 4 May to 3 June, the dates I'll be there!

Nothing personal Leon, but ................. please don't come to Ireland!  ;D Seriously, I hope you enjoy your trip and, maybe, take in a model or shop or two?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here