!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury  (Read 20996 times)

Offline themadhippy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury
« Reply #810 on: February 08, 2019, 09:39:03 PM »
it ain't never gonna happen.
unless you live in Luxembourg

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #811 on: February 10, 2019, 01:12:56 AM »
For the first time since I constructed inclines and started ballasting, I was able to run locomotives on both up and down lines simultaneously. And, with the exception of the lower sidings, my locomotives were able to traverse the entire layout. The sidings should be powered, but for some reason, a terminal unijoiner (Kato) seems to be not working. There are a few similar blemishes that must be corrected, but I'm very pleased, nevertheless.

I shall begin my platform and station modelling starting tomorrow - finally! Ballasting and planting grass and trees will continue and I should have a photo update in about a week.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #812 on: February 10, 2019, 01:16:11 AM »
 :photospleasesign:

Just to remind you Leon. All sounds great news though.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #813 on: February 10, 2019, 06:41:33 AM »
Great to be able to  run trains Leon
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 11:55:58 AM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #814 on: February 10, 2019, 07:22:37 AM »
Great to be runnng trains Leon
Running trains is what I enjoy most.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #815 on: February 10, 2019, 11:22:55 AM »
For the first time since I constructed inclines and started ballasting, I was able to run locomotives

Isn't that a nice feeling?  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Red & white Trafalgar Square
    • Awards
« Reply #816 on: February 10, 2019, 11:33:48 AM »
Cool!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #817 on: February 11, 2019, 01:35:34 AM »
I'm sure no one wants a blow by blow account of my adventures, but I did start my platforms, today! Before starting, I did a little more painting and photographed the basic layout before planting my grasses. https://photos.app.goo.gl/PX3sPvTQ77QBDESq8 I wanted a record of the final status of the layout prior to applying my scatter. One difference in this set of photos is the location of my controllers. I had a spare card table and it fitted perfectly below the layout - a good temporary solution for accommodating the controllers.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #818 on: February 11, 2019, 02:40:46 AM »
I don't think anyone is averse to 'blow-by-blow' accounts of your (or anyone's) progress. I certainly appreciate the updates. Had a look at your recent pics and it really looks great Leon. The big central station area looks most impressive and your track plan has translated very well into reality. It all flows nicely and doesn't look too compressed or contrived. The rolling countryside is, well, frightfully English old chap and will look fantastic when flocked. The Dukedog and Southern carriage are looking most at home.

The layout extension running through Trowbridge, Bath and Bristol Temple Meads is much anticipated! :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #819 on: February 11, 2019, 08:43:02 AM »
Looks very good Laurence and do keep the photos of your build coming.
Like chris (pearce) I like fllowing layout builds. There’s alays lots of ways to achieve thngs and it’s always very interesting to see what others do.
Keep up the good work please.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #820 on: February 11, 2019, 04:39:35 PM »
The layout extension running through Trowbridge, Bath and Bristol Temple Meads is much anticipated! :thumbsup:

Chris, I wonder if I've miscommunicated? There will be no layout extension - just the Bristol/Bath line disappearing behind a grove of trees. That line will feature a Southern passenger service connecting Bristol and Southampton, a local service connecting Bath and Salisbury. The layout will feature another local service between Frome and Newbury. At some point in time, there WAS a Southern service, I believe, but the other services are "what might have been".

I'll be able to run down trains on the short haul to Wiltsbury Station, but the tight curve in the lower left corner is very limiting and the rails will be used primarily as a headshunt for the engine shed and coaling station. There will be a halt in that corner, but the traffic will have to be imagined. The Salisbury line is an integral part of the junction so it had to be included despite the limited space.

Leon
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:52:07 PM by Leon, Reason: Clarification »

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #821 on: February 11, 2019, 08:32:36 PM »
Progress reports are excelent. They are a record for you, a how to for us and if you run into problems better help for you. Keep them coming. :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #822 on: February 12, 2019, 12:38:05 AM »
Leon. The extension to Trowbridge, Bath and Bristol Temple Meads was a joke. :doh:

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #823 on: February 12, 2019, 12:49:11 AM »
Leon. The extension to Trowbridge, Bath and Bristol Temple Meads was a joke. :doh:

Duh! Ok. If I extended beyond Trowbridge I'd have to extend to Salisbury! Wish I could. If I could have built a 16' x 8' layout I think I could have accomplished what I really wanted - a reasonably recognizable Westbury Junction.

Leon

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #824 on: February 12, 2019, 12:55:37 AM »
That is always the case with layout planning/building - "IF ONLY I had MORE SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!" Perhaps, ideally, you could do a more accurate rendition if more room was available but I think it would need to be pretty big - there are some large yards in Westbury - and to get the triangle in would take some space.

Compromise can be very satisfactory if done well and I think you have done a great job. The essence seems to be there and calling it Wiltsbury does admonish you from it not being bang-on.

Continue to enjoy the project! :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
April Donations

Advertise Here