New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)  (Read 12391 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)
« Reply #330 on: August 05, 2018, 05:58:33 PM »
Hi Leon,

Are you a baseball fan or is that your way of saying it took ages to get anything done?

I'm watching my team (SF Giants) gettin' beat in Arizona as we speak. Couldn't sleep, too hot here as well.

There is a baseball thread on the forum by the way.

Anyway, glad you're making progress and looking forward to more.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Weave, you can't live in the Boston area without being a Red Sox fan! Especially when they're playing the Yankees (which they are this weekend). Ten years ago, I watched most games on television, and my wife and I took in one game at Fenway Park (courtesy of our children for an Anniversary gift). I don't watch much these days. It just seemed like I could make better use of my time. Actually, the game I watched was the shortest Red Sox vs Yankee game in more than twenty years!

Now when it comes to football, I watch EVERY Patriots game. With just one game a week, I can justify that.

I'm able to sleep quite well. It does cool off at night, and we have air conditioning which works much better at night. My basement office isn't air conditioned, though, and I'm really struggling to get things done. I work a while, and then sit at the computer and drink a cold beverage to cool off. Yesterday was the worst. I had to stop twice and take long breaks out of the heat of the office. I've been cutting/triming foam board for about an hour and a half, today, and I've a feeling I'll be calling it a day long before the Red Sox and Yankees go at it for the final time in this series (8:10 start time).

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #331 on: August 05, 2018, 06:06:20 PM »
I've bought several Langley kits, lately. Some guy is clearing his Langley inventory, I guess. I'm not very impressed with the taxi and truck I bought, but they were cheap! I'm much happier buying Oxford N scale - ready to place on the layout! And, they look great! They are reasonably priced, also, but relatively few of the fit my modeling era and location.

Leon

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #332 on: August 05, 2018, 06:48:05 PM »
Hi Leon,

I don't know how to do the link but the thread started by emjaybee is 'baseball!!!Serrwing,batter,batter' if you go to Search at the top of the page.

He's a Red Sox fan. I mentioned you earlier today and it would be good to have you as another fan, even if you just dip in and out. As there's only a few of us it's not really a time consuming, intense discussion, just a bit of a like minded chat now and again.

Keep up the good layout work.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #333 on: August 05, 2018, 08:10:56 PM »

Did I mention that building elevations is a lot harder than I expected? :) As you can see, I am working at it, and I'm not giving up - though today has been one step forward and two back! I'm finished for the day, probably, though I keep coming back and tinkering.

The pink board is in two layers - 25mm and 50mm.

If I'm forced to go to 4 % incline rather than the 2 I've been planning, will it work? Woodland Scenics sell the inclines in 2, 3, and 4%, so I assume someone is building 4% inclines. I think I can make it work with 2% (certainly 3%), but if it doesn't work I'd rather double up with the 2% I have already than have to buy 3%.

Leon
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 08:13:59 PM by Leon, Reason: Clarification »

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #334 on: August 05, 2018, 09:12:28 PM »

This is, I think, the easiest way to wire the layout for two controllers and reliable operation.  It assumes that all the power feeds are live all the time.  If you choose to have switched power feeds, you would have more flexibility at the expense of a little more wiring complication.  The outer loop controller has an easy circuit.  The inner loop controller has the 'dead-end' tracks to supply as well.  I have suggested a few insulated 'Unijoiners' which are easy to install and ought to prevent short circuits.

Power feeds in Orange.  Insulated 'Unijoiners' in Green.

John,

Thanks for the annotated plan. Is there a specific reason why you chose Feeder track in some places and Unijoiners in others? My presumption is that the placement of the dot is a proximity location. Right? I've had to make some track changes and don't know that I can add a 62mm Feeder in all the places you designated. The Unijoiners should be a lot easier.

Leon

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #335 on: August 05, 2018, 09:15:49 PM »
I think you could really struggle with 4% inclines, Leon :worried:

Now when it comes to football, I watch EVERY Patriots game. With just one game a week, I can justify that.

I'm able to sleep quite well.

Being a Cheesehead for about 20 years I don't sleep well :no: ;)

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #336 on: August 05, 2018, 09:45:21 PM »
Leon

The 'Unijoiners' I marked in green are the insulated ones and ought to prevent short circuits.

For the power feeds I marked in orange, you can use either the 62mm feeder tracks or the power 'Unijoiners' according to circumstances.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #337 on: August 05, 2018, 10:00:26 PM »
I think you could really struggle with 4% inclines, Leon :worried:

Mick, I have to drop one line 25mm over about 1200mm. Another decline/incline is a little steeper, but still just need 25mm over 850 to 900mm. That should be doable?

Leon

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #338 on: August 05, 2018, 10:09:24 PM »
25mm over 1200mm is a tad over 2% so I reckon you'd be OK with that.
25mm over 850mm is a tad under 3%. Some heavier locos/shorter trains should be OK.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #339 on: August 05, 2018, 10:11:40 PM »
My inclines are more like 50mm over 1200mm so I can not see any problem there @Leon. Your incline, using the calculation rise/run*100 gives you 2.08%, (mine is about 4%  :worried:).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #340 on: August 06, 2018, 08:00:05 AM »
Hi Leon, looking very good. The heat here is delaying my progress as well. For us things start to cool down on Wednesday.

The maximum gradient I have on Sonmel is 3%. It works ok for me with diesels and relatively short trains. Test with your rolling stock before making the scenery permanent!

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #341 on: August 07, 2018, 01:48:48 AM »
Test with your rolling stock before making the scenery permanent!

Keith, I've come to the conclusion that nothing is permanent in model railroading! I'm learning that despite the many hours I've spent with my AnyRail application, the two-dimensional model doesn't reveal some of the obstacles that have to be overcome when the track is laid on and around elevations. And, even features that should be obvious in 2D aren't. Today, I suddenly realized that my platforms at Wiltsbury weren't even. The were the same length, but one extended further to the right and the other to the left. Suddenly, as I was manipulating pieces of track it dawned on me that the correction required a simple repositioning of one of the points! But, that required a few more hours of alterations to the track plan. It's all fixed - until the next surprise! Permanent? Not likely. :) And scenery will be evolving forever - just as in real life.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #342 on: August 09, 2018, 05:34:38 PM »
Progress is slow, but I am moving forward. :) I continue to tweek the plan, (1) deleting one of the sidings on the north side (providing a little room between the lower half and upper half of the layout), (2) adding a left hand point from the station down line to crossover in front of the signal box (per a 1960s photo), (3) and re-configured the siding below Platform 1 leading to the lower right corner (I was able to do this to conform with another period photo and to avoid falling into the Pond where Martin fished, as a boy). There have been a few more minor changes to insure appropriate inclines and to confirm that the Salisbury line (lower left corner) clears the avoiding line and has room for a reasonable turn. I'm very pleased, and will be lifting the track, soon, to begin the process of gluing the layers of foamboard. At that point, I'll complete the inclines (using Woodland Scenics Incline/Decline Starters) and begin glueing the track.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #343 on: August 11, 2018, 03:35:31 AM »
Thanks to all who are keeping up with my progress (and sometimes, regression!). Tonight was good. The humidity is still 88% and the temperature 71 F outside, but the temp in my office is 78F and I'm sure the humidity is probably higher than outside. Nevertheless, I've been a little more clear headed than usual. I've been cutting and fitting foam and re-configuring track. I'm beyond forcasting, beyond the weather! However, I'll be ready for some longer working sessions soon, I hope. Despite the constraints of the 4' depth of my layout, I think I'm managing to establish a fairly accurate geographical representation. The ponds are too small, and there isn't enough room between the avoiding line and the main lines through the station. However, I think I've worked out a solution for both the rail bridge at the bottom of the layout, and the road bridges (2) over the station track, so that is a relief. The road incline will be severe, but there isn't an alternative.

I don't think I've differentiated between the foam I'm using. The baseboard is 2" extruded foam, and I reallly like it. So, I'm using 1" extruded foamboard for most of the topographical foundation and to support most of the rails - the exception are some inclines where I'm using Woodland Scenics foam. For some areas where there is no track, I'll be using layers of common polystyrene which will be covered with plaster cloth. The rail at the top of the layout will be covered, using extruded foamboard for the tunnel supports and sculpting the top with common polystyrene. Wiltsbury Station, the field in the lower left, and the ponds will be built on thin sheets of foam construction board (Elmer's). That permits me to achieve the right degree of elevation for station in relationship to the platforms. Remember, access to the platforms is via a subway.

I've been watching video and reading what others have done to drop their Feeder and Point wires. The Kato connectors are 1cm wide. I've wondered if I should drill a hole large enough for the connector, or risk removing the wires from the connector. One person said the connector is designed for the wires to slip out by pushing a pin through the two openings in the end of the connector that plugs into the controller (or extension). Any suggestions for how I should proceed?

Leon
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 03:14:38 PM by Leon, Reason: Clarification »

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #344 on: August 11, 2018, 04:38:47 PM »
@Leon
If you are using the Kato connectors to plug into Kato equipment, I would drill the holes to take the 1cm connectors intact, it would be a lot easier than 'faffing about' pushing wires out of connectors and then trying to get them back in place! The holes would be easy enough to cover over or you could 'plug' the hole once the connector is pushed through the baseboard. I have cut off the majority of my Kato connectors, as I have the wires wired to individual switches or 'choc-block' connectors, so I therefore only need holes in the baseboard to take the size of the wires.  Hope that all makes sense.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £200.00
Above Goal: £145.00
Site Currency: GBP
364% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything