!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury  (Read 46911 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Westbury Junction 1938-42 (Perceived)
« Reply #165 on: July 15, 2018, 09:54:59 PM »
If memory serves the Peco 22xx was released around 2005/6.
I would consider the real thing to be a mixed traffic loco as it was quite happy on local passenger trains as well as pick up goods.

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: July 16, 2018, 03:28:18 AM »
Good (early) morning Leon. :wave:

How's things going?
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: July 16, 2018, 03:46:37 AM »
This is it - the final plan before laying track. The image below is Wiltsbury Junction showing elevations in color. The elevations of Westbury and vicinity, the source of my inspiration for this layout, are pretty much as seen here. The lower part of the layout is essentially the elevation of the avoiding line and the town. Follow the road in the lower right and it rises significantly from the railway bridge to the right hand turn. But, before crossing the local lines, after the left turn into Wiltsbury Station, the road is on an embankment. (I walked from the road into the station up steps to the bridge. It is a steep climb of perhaps twenty feet.) After crossing the railroad the road follows the terrain and risees gradually before Biss River Station. A steeper slope is necessary at the top of the layout to conceal the rail and rolling stock that will pass beneath it, the only significant departure from reality. Finally, map contours are drawn at intervals so one must accept many changes in elevation from one contour to the next are quite subtle.

The color contours do not apply to track which will incline and decline for the two bridge crossing - the one over the road passing the Railway Inn into town, and the other crossing under the railroad line between Biss River and Marsh View (not seen). As in reality for the modeled location, tracks are on embankments when elevations are too steep.

Thanks for viewing, and I'll keep the Forum informed in the coming days, weeks, and months. The baseboard has been painted, and the first phase of the track will be layed (temporarily) this week. I expect to test the track by running my locomotives for a few days before lifting the track to begin work on the topography - probably next week, if there are no set backs! The land was here first, so the track will not be laid permanently until after creationl!

Leon

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: July 16, 2018, 03:50:57 AM »
Good (early) morning Leon. :wave:

How's things going?

Chris, I'm ready for MY bed! Have a great day!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #169 on: July 16, 2018, 03:59:40 AM »
Nice plan Leon. Good luck with Day 1 of the Creation.  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: July 16, 2018, 08:19:44 PM »
I've no stock in Dow Corning, so I'll not be advocating for their foam insulation on this Forum. I will be reporting my impressions as I go along. Up until decision time, I was intending to top my frame with plywood and 1" foam board. And, then I found a source referencing extruded polystyrene. I tried to learn something about the product, but was not successful. However, during my searches I found an American modeler who got the idea from Australia and said it had worked great for him. It seems that this board is popular in Australia, and modelers there spoke of it being a U. S. product. So I looked further and the only board I found advertised as "extruded" was the Dow Corning board. The cost was about $35.00. The thing that tipped the scales for me was the thickness - 2".

I've previously shown here the "raw" board and I think I posted a photo of the board after painting. I used latex paint and it was a breeze. Two coats were necessary for a good cover, but I gave the top an extra coat. I have lots of green and chocolate paint left, so I'll use it to paint the foam board I'll use for building the terrain. I'm adding a couple more photos to show a little of the support frame.

In the course of my layout construction if there are problems with the board, I'll mention them, too, and I'm not too proud to admit a mistake, so if I decide that using foam without plywood was a mistake, I'll tell you. Reiterating what I've said already, at this point I'm surprised at just how rigid and strong the board is. And, it should be for it's popular as underfloor insulation. I don't know if it's used in the U. K.

Leon

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #171 on: July 16, 2018, 09:53:17 PM »
Nice looking frame and tidy baseboard. Now let the fun begin! :beers:

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: July 18, 2018, 02:30:25 AM »
I had a bit of fun tonight. Fun can be very tiring, though! :) The two ovals in my layout were completed and my hat is off to AnyRail and Kato. Everything fit just as it was supposed to and the track was really easy to lay, lying so snuggly it's not easy to lift from the surface. I found that an ultra thin piece of cardboard worked best, slipped under the track base. I made a few tweeks in AnyRail for tomorrow's task - laying the two double crossovers, track, and points through the station. I was able to move the right double crossover enough to add a significant amount of space to the head shunt on the left side. Nothing else was affected, too much, though I returned to a tight curve leaving the station for Biss River. After completing the track through the station I'll run my locomotives for a few days while I mull over the next phase of track laying (the line to Biss River and beyond). That will be after marking and lifting the track for creating contours, inclines, and tunnels. That will take a a few weeks, no doubt, so after tomorrow no more track laying for a while. I'll post an image of the state of the project, tomorrow.

Leon

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #173 on: July 18, 2018, 04:36:10 AM »
Sounds like you have lift off Leon. Look forward to seeing some pics. :thumbsup:

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: July 18, 2018, 05:22:04 AM »
@Leon
One thing I will say Leon when using Unitrack for inclines, be careful of where the track joints are in relation to the start of the incline. I have a 'drop down' incline starting immediately after a bridge and it has taken me numerous attempts to get the track to not have an angle where the two pieces of track join! In other words, start with a very gentle incline - hope that makes sense.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #175 on: July 18, 2018, 05:29:40 AM »
Dannyboy is right Leon. Blend into a gradient with shallower inclines at the top and bottom. A sudden change from flat to incline can cause too much of an angle and will be a hassle to locos and rolling stock.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #176 on: July 18, 2018, 06:25:25 AM »
Sounds like great progress Leon 👍

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: July 18, 2018, 07:49:02 AM »
Not a Unitrack user, but could you slit the base with a razor saw to enable more vertical flex at the transition, rather than putting the strain on the joiners?

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #178 on: July 18, 2018, 08:09:11 AM »
Sounds like you're really getting somewhere Leon, looking forward to seeing the pictures.   :thumbsup:

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: July 18, 2018, 06:00:38 PM »
Not a Unitrack user, but could you slit the base with a razor saw to enable more vertical flex at the transition, rather than putting the strain on the joiners?

I'm not the one to ask, but I've seen demonstrations on YouTube of the base being cut for horizontal flexibility, so I don't see why it couldn't be done for vertible flexibility, as well. The track is rather flexible as is, however. Kato does have physical constraints, but I'm amazed at how they've answered most problems; i.e. the expandable track sections. In my response to Dannyboy, I explained that I'm experimenting with Woodland Scenics 2 percent Incline Starters. I don't have the risers yet, but have used the Incline Starters to join with the one bridge in my oval. (I've only one incline/decline in my oval with plenty of space for clearance.) You'll see the Incline Starter after I've  finished with today's work. I've some domestic tasks to attend to, so most of you may be asleep when I take the photo and post.

Leon

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal