!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury  (Read 42698 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury
« Reply #1155 on: February 24, 2020, 05:59:40 PM »
Laurence, I've cut and pasted the previous iteration of my 'State of Wiltsbury' post, adding my update, and then deleting the original previous iteration. This seems to be the most economical way to achieve what I want to do - retain the original full-layout image and statement for reference as I add images of sections I want to comment on. Sometimes, however, I'm inclined to make things more complicated than they need to be!  :)

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1156 on: February 24, 2020, 06:22:57 PM »
Hi Leon

You could just click the Modify button just above the post and then add the new bits to the original post, before hitting the Save button.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1157 on: February 24, 2020, 06:26:09 PM »
Hi Leon

You could just click the Modify button just above the post and then add the new bits to the original post, before hitting the Save button.
I think that the only problem there is that it doesn’t show as a new post so no one will be aware that you have edited the original post.
It’s much better, in my opinion, to make a new post every time you have something new to add otherwise we’ll all miss it.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1158 on: February 25, 2020, 03:15:34 AM »
That was my thinking, Martin. I don't have a lot to show, but I do appreciate people viewing my posts and commenting when appropriate. I'm hoping that as I show sections of the layout and explain what I'm doing some observations will be posted. For example, is a road bridge rather than a level crossing the right choice?  And, given the shortcomings of replicating the real junction on my layout, would it be better at this point to concentrate on appearance rather than utility! I DO like the looks of a level crossing!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1159 on: February 25, 2020, 08:27:11 AM »
My vote would be for a road bridge Leon.
However, not much wrong with a level crossing if you’d rather have that. Prototypically it would be a bridge I think as there are no, as far as I remember, level crossings around Westbury.

Martin

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1160 on: February 25, 2020, 09:31:34 AM »
My vote would also be for a road bridge but skewed diagonally across the railway rather than have things at right angles to each other :hmmm:

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1161 on: February 25, 2020, 09:36:05 AM »
I agree with the version as suggested by Mick, but wonder just how much of an incline for the road would be required.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1162 on: February 25, 2020, 06:50:15 PM »
David, I don't think the incline will be a problem. The road approaching Wiltsbury is elevated, and the road leaving the junction can continue at or near the height of the girder bridge. I like Mick's suggestion and will endeavor to work that out. There's still some flexibility with the surrounding terrain. I'm definitely going with the bridge. I've bought a lot of kits (including a Peco bridge) that I need to use, so from here on out (is that an American expression?) decisions will be greatly influenced by the materials on hand. I'll post another photo of the proposed bridge area and comment further in another update.

Le

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1163 on: February 27, 2020, 06:42:50 AM »
That's beginning to look really good, Leon.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1164 on: February 27, 2020, 07:47:53 AM »
You are making splendid progress Leon.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1165 on: February 27, 2020, 11:49:51 AM »
Coming along well Leon.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1166 on: February 27, 2020, 08:09:51 PM »
In the fourth year of his Excellency Donald J. Trump, I declare the state of Wiltsbury Junction to be stable, despite some recent surgery, and assure all that it will be great again before January 20, 2021!

The Wiltsbury Junction will consist of the usual buildings supporting a busy rail junction plus an Inn, a post office/shop, and a farmhouse with barn and outbuildings. The rail system includes the avoiding line carrying traffic between London and Weymouth, and the road system represents the Warminster - Trowbridge primary road.

The image below has today recorded the entire junction; a complete rail system for travel to London, Weymouth, Portsmouth, Bristol, and the many branch stations served by GWR from these cities in 1939. Further images will follow as updates with a description of the work in progress and future plans.

Most of my recent modelling was to replace the demolished road and to add the two bridges over the rail lines. I had built a Metcalfe Tapered Retaining Wall for the road above the girder bridge, but that just didn't work. Instead, I've built up the terrain to provide for the descent of the main road to the Trowbridge line at the top of the layout. A secondary road will lead to a post office/shop in the upper quadrant of the picture.

For those unfamiliar with Westbury, my inspiration for Wiltsbury, the two bridges are as they appeared in 1939, except that the actual distance between the two was probably more like 40-50 yards. Like much of my station and rail yard, everything had to be severely compressed. More about that, later. The stone bridge is set permanently, but the girder bridge can still be lifted for some additional work to be done below.

The resin building is marking the site of a Metcalfe model for the Railway Inn, and the Goods Station will be connected to the main road passing in front of the Railway Inn. In reality, the Railway Inn is on the main road - another casualty of scale compression.

My plan is to complete the road system before moving on to some of the other layout elements. So, the next thing is to join the road that will cross the Trowbridge line. The photo above shows the road at the place where I had thought of installing a level-crossing. While building the terrain on the upper side of the rail bridges it occurred to me that it would be more prototypical to have a bridge for the road crossing, since it's a primary road and a main railway line. I'll need to build up the ground level on both sides of the rail line to accommodate the bridge (which I have on hand, fortunately) and I'll try to move ahead with that as soon as I've finished posting the remainder of 'The State of Wiltsbury'.

At the top of this picture, the road crosses the girder bridge and splits - the main road to the left and a local road/street to the right. I'm using lightweight spackle over blocks of extruded foam to form my elevations, so I'll build up the main road to the level of the proposed bridge and gradually decline the elevation to the left where grazing horses can be seen. The road on the opposite side of the railroad can easily be remolded to meet the bridge at the appropriate level. The local street curves right and I've left a relatively flat area for the shop/Post Office. I've not yet worked out how the road will terminate, but I'm thinking that GWR might have had a narrow road under the girder bridge. There isn't room for a street or road under the bridge without infringing on the GWR right of way - and there is only room for a single lane.

The rails of the avoiding line have not been laid down permanently. The decline on the right of the brick bridge isn't as sharp as it appears in the photo and the base wasn't changed materially, so all should be good when I'm finished. The only problem with running trains before I built the bridge was on the left side. There was a bit of a problem at the join in the tracks just to the left of the bridge. I may be able to improve matters by changing the location of the track join but Kato track doesn't have much flexibility due to the plastic molding.

One final observation about this section of the layout. The incompleted water feature was modelled to the approximate shape of the existing pond, which is much larger in scale. In earlier discussions here I considered eliminating it altogether but hopefully, it will contribute some visual interest when completed with the surrounding vegetation. The station lies to the left of the photo and my next update will feature that section.

The road in front of the station was just a preliminary drawing. When the station is set permanently in place, I'll bring the road down from the rail bridge incline to the front of the station and widen it for a few parking spaces. There will be a bus shelter beside the station. I'm undecided about a single lane service road to run between the avoiding lines and the Coaling Stage. The Metcalfe model, like other buildings in this area, is red brick like Westbury but is otherwise dissimilar. I may eventually do a little 'kit-bashing' to create a station more like the prototype. The Metcalfe station incorporates the Station Masters house which in reality was across the street, and I hope there will be room for that building between the road and the pond.

The rail on the Coaling Stage incline is Peco 80, as Kato track doesn't work. The entire area will need to be raised slightly for the buildings to sit at the correct height for the Kato track. Peco 80 will also be used to pass through the GF Depot Hoist. When the Coaling Station was added it was necessary to widen the distance between the tracks requiring some alteration in the terrain. The track is in place but awaits some excavation and leveling. Still to be added to this section of the layout are buildings and canopies on the two platforms and a signal box at the end of platform 2. The main signal box will be at the opposite end of platform 1.

I hope everyone has realized my photos are clickable to enlarge. This will be my final update for the 'State of Wiltsbury Junction'. There are several incomplete items in this photo which I'll address by progressing counterclockwise from the bottom.
1) I'd like for the hillside to be populated by sheep, but seeing as it's surrounded by GWR property, I'm not sure how to proceed. Of course, there will need to be fencing all around the field, and I suppose I could have a livestock crossing over the avoiding lines at the bottom of the layout. In reality (today), there is such a crossing (for whatever reason). The farmer/shepherd would know the schedule of trains and I doubt there would be much deviation. Comments?
2) The flat area in the lower-left corner will be a halt. In reality now, and probably in 1939, this line was double track with a platform on both sides. But, ....
3) The bridge abutments have not been painted (obviously) and set into place but will be essentially unchanged. The track above may need to be adjusted, slightly. I like the color of the bridge! But, that may need to be changed. I can't say I've ever seen a railway bridge so brightly colored. Suggestions?
4) The resin buildings are markers for the Metcalfe Manor Farm, comprising a farmhouse, workers cottage, barn, and tractor shed. You will note the tractor is awaiting a new home! The tractor represented had not been built in 1939, but ....
5) The railway line at the top (to Trowbridge) has a double-track single turnout just behind the gap between the farm buildings and the grove of trees. That's one of the points that got 'gummed up' with glue and is inoperable and will need to be replaced. Fortunately, I had bought two so I have the replacement at hand.
6) Finally, at the upper right you can see the main Trowbridge road disappearing behind some trees. That grove of trees will be enlarged.

And now, to get on with the work at hand! (Well, in a day or so.)

Leon

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1167 on: February 28, 2020, 06:35:40 AM »
Hi Leon

It might be a good idea to leave your old posts in place and create new ones, so that people can track the comments between posts and we can see the progress from post to post.  It's all looking rather splendid by the way.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1168 on: February 28, 2020, 05:56:58 PM »
Laurence,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm finished with my State of Wiltsbury so I'll not be replicating what I've just done. My idea was to provide one post that would have a complete statement of my layout progress (and plan for completion) in one place. It would have been better to do it all with one post, but the daily updates worked better for me.

I'm very grateful for your encouragement and that provided by others. I'm really serious about getting back to work on the railroad!

Perhaps I should explain that I'm keenly interested in politics and have spent many recent evenings (my usual time for modelling and/or genealogy research) watching debates, town meetings, and election returns. We'll be having coverage of the South Carolina Primary tomorrow night and the Super Tuesday Primary returns Tuesday night. There are many more to come between now and the Democratic Convention in July. Fortunately, with an incumbent candidate, Donald Trump, the Republican Primaries and Convention are irrelevant to me this year. In 2016 I watched ALL the events of both parties, choosing my favorite for each before deciding on my preference in the General Election. As an Independent, I've voted for every elected president since John Kennedy's election in 1960! That doesn't show my political acumen so much as the power of Independents in determining election results. Now, I know that's more than most of you want to know about American Politics, but I'm 'just saying' to partially explain my lack of recent progress with Wiltshire Junction. Incidentally, I follow British politics with about as much enthusiasm, watching BBC World News regularly.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1169 on: March 16, 2020, 05:51:29 PM »
Even though I can't use many of them on my layout, I have to admire the quality of Woodland Scenics N scale figures - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Woodland-Scenics-A2174-Painters-N-Scale-Figures-724771021742-/372798249113?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10  I wonder who the manufacturer is - assuming Woodland Scenics contracts the production.

Leon

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
April Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal