!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury  (Read 46927 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury
« Reply #1110 on: December 17, 2019, 05:56:06 PM »
Martin,

After viewing the images of your new distillery layout, I'm embarrassed by my LACK of pace, so I shall endeavor to invest some time this afternoon at Wiltsbury.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1111 on: December 17, 2019, 08:57:10 PM »
I experienced my first (and last) kitbashing, today. The result wasn't something any of you would accept, but it will have to do for Wiltshire (until it can be replaced). My primary objective at this time is to connect the structures and build the road that will traverse them.

The necessity for kitbashing (for those who've not followed this thread) was the need to lower the height of the road bridge/tunnel that crosses the siding to the goods station (lower right corner of the layout). The only good thing about my experience was the resilience of the Metcalfe kit! I did manage to partially achieve my task, but the bridge isn't nearly so structurally sound as before I started! Added to that, my effort to mask the white of the card edges ended up looking like layers of mud. In the end, I was just splashing on the paint with the hope the few remaining white spots would look like bird droppings! From a normal viewing distance, it's not likely to be noticed and I'll not be doing any close-up photography - for sure.

I mixed three acrylic paints in an effort to match the stone of the Metcalfe kit: Stone Gray, Burnt Umber, and Titanium White. By the time I had achieved a close match my patience had worn thin. That was when I started splashing on the paint! Never mind; tomorrow I'll put it in place and start building the foundation for the road between the two bridges.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1112 on: December 20, 2019, 09:58:11 PM »
Construction is moving along with the Wiltshire approach road. Layers of pink foam board are being covered with spackling compound to re-create the hill down which the road will pass under the avoiding line bridge. Two bridges are in place with another (the black girder bridge) and the brick tapered retaining walls taking the road across the railyard laid in place for a photo. The unpainted resin building is on the site of the future Railway Inn, facing the road to the goods station.

Leon

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #1113 on: December 20, 2019, 11:01:56 PM »
I have fought the temptation to say this but it was stronger than I am so I lost and will say it anyway. I remember a "certain NGF member" who said he couldn't do this, could never see himself managing that etc.

His layout seems to be coming along superbly though. Looks really good. :thumbsup:

Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1114 on: December 21, 2019, 12:30:29 AM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
 Nice progress Leon,
     regards Derek

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1115 on: December 21, 2019, 01:10:52 AM »
I have fought the temptation

Chris, I'm reminded of a line in a song, "I fought the law, and the law won!" I've decided to fight no more and take modelling a bit less seriously. "It is what it is" has come to be my favorite expression!

Leon

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1116 on: December 21, 2019, 02:05:32 PM »
I've decided to fight no more and take modelling a bit less seriously. "It is what it is" has come to be my favorite expression!
Leon

Quite right too, Leon.

My approach to modelling is simply to enjoy myself.  If you are enjoying yourself with your super layout, that must be what really matters.  And, thanks to the wonders of our Forum, others can enjoy it too.  I know I do!

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1117 on: December 21, 2019, 04:48:20 PM »
Quite right too, Leon.

John, I feel liberated by your affirmation and that of others who show interest in the status of my layout.

Leon

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1118 on: December 21, 2019, 06:10:46 PM »
Quite right too, Leon.

John, I feel liberated by your affirmation and that of others who show interest in the status of my layout.

Leon
You're getting on a lot faster than I am and your layout is extremely comprehensive.  Keep up the good work.  :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1119 on: December 30, 2019, 08:40:22 PM »
Genealogy research has put modelling on the back burner for the last couple of weeks! I've just (today) made what I believe is my connection with the Lowes of Lancashire (and Cheshire - maybe Staffordshire). This was accomplished through the use of a DNA match with a distant cousin. Isn't modern science amazing? I can maybe get back to the layout in a few days.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1120 on: January 10, 2020, 08:09:22 PM »

The above picture shows the road bridge over the station rails at Westbury (1918). I don't know when the bridge was constructed, but my layout is reflective of 1939. I think the bridge was probably there at the time, but it has no doubt rusted considerably in the ensuing eighty years. I've taken apart a Kato girder rail bridge, painted the black plastic with a white primer and then applied layers of gray paint. Out of curiosity, I've attempted to create rusting based upon the above image. I doubt that the rusting would have been so prominent in 1939, so I'll have to re-paint at least some of the bridge. I'd be interested to know what others would do given the scenario I've outlined. 1) Gray - no rusting, 2) just a hint of rust, 3) something close to the picture. The bridge may have been constructed many years before 1939.

Leon

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1121 on: January 10, 2020, 08:11:55 PM »
If you can get something close to the photo of the bridge I'd go that way, Leon.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1122 on: January 10, 2020, 08:14:13 PM »
Id hazard a guess Leon that in 1939 that bridge would have been in excellent order, probably in grey with not a hint of rust.
The GWR would not, I think, approve much of rust especially as the bridge is so prominent from the station.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1123 on: January 10, 2020, 08:18:11 PM »
Id hazard a guess Leon that in 1939 that bridge would have been in excellent order, probably in grey with not a hint of rust.
The GWR would not, I think, approve much of rust especially as the bridge is so prominent from the station.
Martin

Great point, Martin, and thanks for the input. Chalk one up to keeping it unrusted. My photo was taken from the end of one of the platforms - and then cropped.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1124 on: January 10, 2020, 08:20:44 PM »
If you can get something close to the photo of the bridge I'd go that way, Leon.

Mick, your opinion is valued and duly noted. One for gray; one for rusted gray.

Leon

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal