!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury  (Read 47782 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury
« Reply #1095 on: December 11, 2019, 07:11:02 PM »
Hi Leon

I also have the station signs, etc.  They are all very small and, to the naked eye, probably irrelevent but, if you get into photography and videos (especially photography like RogerB) the signs come into their own.  The beauty of N gauge, to my mind, is that you can model much larger areas in a small space and have good operating sessions where you see the running trains for much longer.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1096 on: December 11, 2019, 08:09:27 PM »
The beauty of N gauge, to my mind, is that you can model much larger areas in a small space and have good operating sessions where you see the running trains for much longer.

Laurence, the positive for modelling that you cite is my reason for choosing to do N Scale. No regrets, but wouldn't make the choice again - at my age. It really is too small for clumsy hands and dim eyes! I bought the headset for illuminating and magnifying objects, and it's alright - just not enough to make miniature modelling an easy proposition for me.

I printed the Station Signs and Posterboards on plain, white paper and it looks quite good. Then I printed it on a label and it's probably not going to be satisfactory. The label paper is not bright enough. I haven't tried photo paper, but that will probably be my ultimate choice. I should add that I know I'll need to use some of the signs, even if they can't be read. A station and/or platform wouldn't be complete without a few signs. I doubt that I'll bother with track-side signs, however.

As to photography, before I joined this forum I had no idea about the sub-hobby of layout photography. Maybe Roger just invented it?   :D  I enjoy looking at photos of railroads, real and imagined, as much as anyone, but I only use a camera to point and click! For me, there are already too many skills associated with railway modelling without adding another one!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1097 on: December 11, 2019, 08:41:43 PM »
Just to add Leon, I think that you are doing just fine.
Itís worth persevering as your layout is looking good so far.
Plus, of course, it brings back many childhood (and later life) memories for me.
Keep up the good work
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1098 on: December 11, 2019, 09:09:42 PM »
@Leon
Just to add Leon, I think that you are doing just fine.
Itís worth persevering as your layout is looking good so far.

I have to totally agree with Martin. I think every single modeller has, at some time, felt like chucking it all in the bin and getting a(nother) hobby. I did a bit of work on Averingcliffe today and realised that it is nearly three weeks since I last did anything.  :o. To quote Martin "you are doing just fine" and "It's worth persevering".  If you are not in the right frame of mind, leave Wiltsbury Junction alone for a bit.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1099 on: December 11, 2019, 09:12:10 PM »
Thanks, Martin. You're a great source of inspiration and so long as I'm physically able, I'll be charging on - more like a turtle than a hare, alas!

Today, I experienced the ease and speed of layout demolition - compared to construction. And, I realized how far I've come in eighteen months. I can see possibilities for re-construction that would have alluded me the first time around. Still, it's not going to be that easy to re-create my topography. As before, the topography needs to be in place before installing the "man-made" structures. The difference, this time, is that the bridges have been built so I can better visualize the space I'm working with (and that which is needed but NOT available).

The pictures below show the demolition in progress and after clean-up. Photos are a bit dark, but you'll get the idea about what's going on at Wiltsbury!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1100 on: December 11, 2019, 09:15:06 PM »
@Leon
If you are not in the right frame of mind, leave Wiltsbury Junction alone for a bit.

David, I've never been in a better frame of mind about Wiltsbury! I just wanted to acknowledge what others may be thinking but reluctant to say. N Scale is MUCH too small for old eyes and stiff joints!!!  :)

Leon
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 09:17:55 PM by Leon, Reason: spelling »

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1101 on: December 11, 2019, 09:21:14 PM »
With all that 'demolition' I can see you are in a perfect frame of mind!  ;D. As you say, n scale can be too small for tired eyes, (I was cutting some 2mm strips of card this afternoon  :goggleeyes:), and stiff joints, (thumbs in my case).  :)
David.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1102 on: December 12, 2019, 07:03:32 PM »
The picture below presents a side view of the road incline reconstruction.

Notes:
1) My road bridge over the goods line will have to be lowered about 3-4 mm - leaving plenty of clearance.
2) The line seen connecting the two bridges is the side of a card representing the road base. Even after lowering the goods line bridge, the slope will still be VERY steep, but possibly a little less so than the old construction.
3) I'm using blocks of foam board for the foundation of the road and the re-configured topography on both sides. The foam shapes will be glued to form the base of the new construction with DAP Lightweight Spackling smoothing out the rough edges. Plaster cloth will then be used for the final desired contours.
4) The brown cardboard in the photo has been cut at the correct width for the road to the goods station leaving the main road at a right angle on the incline where it's positioned.
5) Station Road, not seen in the photo, will diverge from the main road just slightly below the road to the goods station (as it does today at Westbury).

My most perplexing problem is whether to lower the ground level under the goods line bridge or trim the bottom of the bridge. The later seems to be the better choice, but the bridge structure is pretty solid with thick card reinforcement. I'm not sure I have a knife that will cut it and I'm afraid of making a mess using my craft saw. I've paused to reflect on this issue today, but I'll probably move ahead tomorrow.

Leon

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1103 on: December 12, 2019, 07:08:32 PM »
I would be inclined to use a saw on the bridge Leon. As long as you do not mess it up too much, the base can easily be disguised with a bit of greenery.
David.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1104 on: December 12, 2019, 07:28:13 PM »
I would be inclined to use a saw on the bridge Leon. As long as you do not mess it up too much, the base can easily be disguised with a bit of greenery.

David, I'm inclined to agree with you. Disguise should be quite easy at ground level. I was able to dig up some foam below the avoiding line bridge quite easily, but I think it would be much more difficult for the job at hand since I've used a variety of materials, and levels, for the foundation where the goods line bridge will be sited. Thanks for re-inforcing my inclination. If someone doesn't point out something I've missed, I'll take out my saw tomorrow and get it done!

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1105 on: December 12, 2019, 07:31:00 PM »
Off subject, I'm getting ready to watch your election returns! I follow British politics as closely as the American circus! Our clown is better (and worse) than yours, though!!!

Leon

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1106 on: December 12, 2019, 07:32:04 PM »
Off subject, I'm getting ready to watch your election returns! I follow British politics as closely as the American circus! Our clown is better (and worse) than yours, though!!!

Leon
Still 2.5 hours until the polling stations close.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1107 on: December 12, 2019, 07:35:03 PM »
Still 2.5 hours until the polling stations close.

Yeah, but I'll probably know the result before you! I don't have to stay up half the night.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1108 on: December 16, 2019, 06:50:22 PM »
Now you see it; now you don't!  :) My admiration and respect for many British institutions are enduring, however. If possible, keep politics away from the railroads, though! On to Wiltsbury!

Progress has slowed, but my mind is still at work. Maybe I can show something by the end of the week.

Leon

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1109 on: December 16, 2019, 07:21:45 PM »
Now you see it; now you don't!  :) My admiration and respect for many British institutions are enduring, however. If possible, keep politics away from the railroads, though! On to Wiltsbury!

Progress has slowed, but my mind is still at work. Maybe I can show something by the end of the week.

Leon
Looking forward to it.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal