!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury  (Read 46930 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury
« Reply #1080 on: December 06, 2019, 07:44:18 AM »
Yes, itís a bit tricky to see exactly what the bridge clearances are Leon. But maybe itís a case of keeping the railway track at the same levels as now and lowering the road over bridge and raising the road level under the bridge (the horse box has plenty of clearance). This will make the road slopes between the two bridges less steep? Hope that this helps.

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1081 on: December 06, 2019, 06:50:23 PM »
Thanks, Keith. You're right, judging clearances from the images is not really possible. I didn't say in the previous post, but the loose rails over the rail bridge show the necessity to either increase the rail incline on either side (a big task) or drop the road surface under the bridge. The latter choice would increase even more the unrealistic incline up to the bridge/tunnel over the goods line. So, my first impression is that I'll have to do both - raise the rail incline and lower the road below. Does that make any sense?

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1082 on: December 06, 2019, 08:52:28 PM »
So, my first impression is that I'll have to do both - raise the rail incline and lower the road below. Does that make any sense?
Leon

Makes perfect sense, Leon.  Probably how a civil engineer would do it in a constrained site in the full-sized world.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1083 on: December 07, 2019, 07:30:13 AM »
So, my first impression is that I'll have to do both - raise the rail incline and lower the road below. Does that make any sense?
Leon

Makes perfect sense, Leon.  Probably how a civil engineer would do it in a constrained site in the full-sized world.

Best wishes.

John

Yes, halves the problem on each incline.  :thumbsup:

Good luck with the cut and fill.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1084 on: December 07, 2019, 05:08:02 PM »
Engineering is one of the last vocations for which I'd have been qualified, but as people won't be crossing my bridges I have a little flexibility in my problem-solving. I think I've worked out (in my mind at least) a solution for joining all the bridges without significantly altering the inclines. In fact, I think I may even improve them. Stay tuned!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1085 on: December 07, 2019, 06:56:44 PM »
Construction has begun!

I'll most likely reconfigure the hill to the goods line bridge and then alter the terrain beyond for the tapered retaining walls. With the choice of the retaining walls, and with the decision to build a level crossing, I'll probably make significant changes to the terrain between the railyard and the Biss River (Trowbridge) line.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1086 on: December 07, 2019, 09:11:28 PM »
When the rail bridge is set into place, the rails are meeting reasonably well. The rails entering the tunnel from the left side (facing) are fairly level. There is a slight incline on the right, but not much. I'll probably do nothing more to raise the rails except for the asphalt card. When the bridge is set permanently, I can raise the incline slightly if need be. Nothing more will be done with this bridge until I complete the bridge over the goods line.

Leon

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #1087 on: December 08, 2019, 04:33:47 AM »
You are going great guns there Leon! :thumbsup:

It is hard to have to strip down and rebuild something but I am one who certainly cannot imagine absolutely every single factor when planning something. Sometimes you just plan as well as you can but something is bound to need modifying.

It's all part of the 'fun'.  :(

Very nice and neat bridge.  :D
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1088 on: December 09, 2019, 01:31:52 AM »
Chris, I have to take my pleasure where I find it! I spend more time thinking than modelling, but that's my only way forward. I've known all along I'd have to be creative to accomplish my objectives with this layout and that has meant fitting one piece and thinking a lot about the next one. I've got the rail bridge worked out, and after I've removed the existing road incline I'll place the goods line bridge (tunnel) at the minimum height before modelling the terrain for the road accessing it. It will likely be better than the original concept, so there's a lot to be said for modifying "on the fly".

Thanks for the compliment regarding my rail bridge! It's a pretty simple model, and like the others I've built, far from perfect but suits my needs just fine. (As does the goods line bridge.) For the record, though, the original (and existing) bridge is of girder construction and crosses the road at a slight angle. Only Martin is likely to know that, but the brick bridge is another deviation from my original plan and may be replaced - someday.

Leon

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #1089 on: December 09, 2019, 07:12:18 AM »
I've known all along I'd have to be creative to accomplish my objectives with this layout and that has meant fitting one piece and thinking a lot about the next one.

I am much the same. For better or for worse I suffer from 'excessive cerebrality' and spend a lot of time just pondering. "How will this piece influence the next? If I don't get this bit right I could regret it later on." That kind of thing.

Life and model railways are SOOOOO much alike!  :goggleeyes:

Your layout looks great though. Sometimes I think the challenges are what makes it all worth it. It's easy to just clip track together on the living room floor and watch your train go round in circles but that isn't how the real things got built now is it? :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1090 on: December 09, 2019, 05:43:57 PM »
Look what just popped up in an email!!!  https://scalescenes.com/product/r012a-plate-girder-bridge/

I may just have to build this model before I finish with the rail yard. If anybody is reading this, can you tell me the best card to buy for backing these ScaleScene models?

Leon

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1091 on: December 09, 2019, 06:47:39 PM »
Scale Scene generally tell you what card is required for which sheets.  I have just bought some A4 lables to print on for sticking onto the card backing.  Some sheets are 'print only' because they are designed to be added to items from other card-mounted sheets.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1092 on: December 09, 2019, 09:21:57 PM »
Some sheets are 'print only' because they are designed to be added to items from other card-mounted sheets.

Laurence, I don't understand this statement, but I suppose I will if I buy a kit.

I have sticky labels already and that sounds like a big improvement over the alternative - glue. When (if?) I ever finish my layout I hope I never again see glue!!!

Leon

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1093 on: December 10, 2019, 07:24:53 AM »
Some sheets are 'print only' because they are designed to be added to items from other card-mounted sheets.

Laurence, I don't understand this statement, but I suppose I will if I buy a kit.

I have sticky labels already and that sounds like a big improvement over the alternative - glue. When (if?) I ever finish my layout I hope I never again see glue!!!

Leon
Hi Leon

Each sheet is designated to be fixed to thick card, medium card or thin card.  Otherwise it is designated print only, which means it is not attached to any card but added to other bits later.  I hope tht makes sense.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1094 on: December 11, 2019, 06:48:47 PM »
I've just bought and downloaded ScaleScenes R001a Station Signs and Posterboards. Now I'm seriously questioning my decision to model N Scale. To be totally honest, I think it was a mistake - despite the pleasure it's provided. I think modelling OO Scale would have been equally rewarding, with the added benefit of being able to see the finished product!  :D

Leon

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal