!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury  (Read 32508 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury
« Reply #1035 on: September 19, 2019, 07:01:21 PM »
Looks great to me
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #1036 on: September 19, 2019, 09:25:32 PM »

Looking superb Leon. Many thanks for humouring me! Despite all your reservations you are doing a grand job. Glad the Metcalfe kits are coming together so well, the track and scenery are coming along nicely and that looks like a BEAST of a goods train you have there!  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1037 on: September 19, 2019, 10:02:01 PM »
Thanks, Chris. I think I had about thirty wagons in that goods train, pulled by a Union Mills Dean Goods. The Dean Goods was up to the task, after a gentle push. For some reason, it requires a little help starting up but I've had no time to concentrate on such a small problem!  ;D

Laurence, fortunately, you didn't see the end of the office steps which I discovered, after posting the picture, had not been fitted with the brick end. Also, the skewed office building didn't look so bad from the camera angle. But, thanks for the compliment. If I even come close to your achievements I'll be a happy camper!

I've completed lifting the tracks where the goods shed will be sited and it fits perfectly with the new track alignment. I'll not re-lay the tracks until I've completed the tunnel,  and figured out how to fit the tunnel and the girder span across the mainline tracks. It's going to require more ingenuity than I've contributed to the layout so far! In the meantime, I'll be assembling the Metcalfe signal boxes (there are two in the kit, I believe).

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #1038 on: September 19, 2019, 10:11:12 PM »
Leon, pardon me being a bit dim but I don't understand your reference to a 'tunnel'. There appears to be a road which emerges from under the mainline and climbs steeply to a stone arch bridge. I am guessing that this bridge will be completed by a girder bridge to carry the road across the station approach lines. What is the 'tunnel' about? :hmmm:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1039 on: September 20, 2019, 01:39:45 AM »
I don't understand your reference to a 'tunnel'.

Chris, as late as the 1950s photographs show a railway track on the east end of the station passing through a tunnel portal. A road crosses the tunnel and continues north via a girder bridge and multiple rails. My track plans show five tracks on the east side of the station (in reality there were several more) - the first two lead to the goods shed (I was unable to establish the use of those rails) and the other three represent the east/west and north-south main lines through the station. My research revealed that the land around Westbury was (is?) rich in high-quality iron ore and an ironworks operated adjacent to the railroad station on the north side (https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Westbury_Iron_Works). The ponds around the station (one of which my layout simulates) are presumably from the iron ore workings. The railroad and ironworks must have changed the topography significantly from the mid-19th century through 1920, reducing the height of the land. The road leading from the town of Westbury to Trowbridge traverses a steep hill which may represent the original height of the surrounding land before the railroad and iron ore workings. The land on the north side continues at about the same elevation but, as on the south side, falls away on either side. My theory of the topographical changes is supported by the tunnel (which, incidentally, was closed off (filled in) sometime after the 1950s. Chris, my tunnel is your stone arch bridge carrying the road north across the connecting girder bridge. The following link is an image of Westbury Railway Station and Westbury Iron Works in 1929 showing both the tunnel (stone arch bridge) and the girder bridge - https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW027646

Leon
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 01:45:18 AM by Leon »
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #1040 on: September 20, 2019, 01:44:24 AM »
The link doesn't offer me a pic sadly. However, I am guessing that, as you say, the tunnel and stone arch bridge are one and the same. I had visions of something longer - and darker. Thanks for clearing that up.  :thumbsup:

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1041 on: September 20, 2019, 01:46:41 AM »
Chris, try the link again. It should work, now! It's a great "Britain from Above" photo.

Leon

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #1042 on: September 20, 2019, 01:50:58 AM »
Yes, it did work that time. It is a lovely pic. Interesting to see how you have taken the essence of Westbury and built your model accordingly. An excellent piece of work. Only thing to do to make your layout look even more like the pic is to paint everything in various shades of grey. What a idea - to build a layout that actually is painted to replicate a monochrome picture - precisely! Actually, I think someone actually did that and it looked really good.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1043 on: September 20, 2019, 01:55:14 AM »
Chris, I think I'd rather imagine it.  :) You're up late!

Leon

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1044 on: September 20, 2019, 02:01:17 AM »
Just looked at the link. That is a cool photo.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #1045 on: September 20, 2019, 02:11:46 AM »
Chris, I think I'd rather imagine it.  :) You're up late!

Leon

I am at work on a night shift. All is peaceful and under control [sound of crash alarm] so I am keeping up to date with the NGF!

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1046 on: September 21, 2019, 02:30:27 AM »
Chris, I've just discovered a couple of reasons for the siding through the tunnel/stone arch bridge. On Google Maps, a Westbury street southeast of the station is named Turntable Place! Nearby is Frogmore Pond bounded on the north by Slag Road. Located southeast from the station, Frogmore Pond is the remains of an iron ore pit. My theory is that when it was worked out the Iron Works used it for depositing slag. Supporting my theory is a section of the book Where To Watch Birds in Somerset, Gloucestershire and Wiltshire by Ken Hall entitled 73 Westbury Ponds.

There could very well have been a goods shed on this siding, as well, but in 1929 there was probably a goods station and cattle loading facility where an engine shed and coaling station were later constructed (post-WWII). Evidence for this can be seen in the 1929 Britain from Above photograph posted previously. It shows two prominent buildings, a cattle pen/loading facility (seen on a pre-WWII Ordnance Survey Map) and one that looks very much like a goods shed. The photograph can be zoomed for more detail by registering at the Britain from Above website.

Leon

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1047 on: September 21, 2019, 06:52:39 AM »
Chris, I've just discovered a couple of reasons for the siding through the tunnel/stone arch bridge. On Google Maps, a Westbury street southeast of the station is named Turntable Place!
So it is reasonble to suppose that there would have been a turntable there at some time in the past.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1048 on: September 21, 2019, 06:55:41 AM »
Hi Leon

Iím not certain but I believe that the small tunnel originally carried a narrow gauge line to the pond.
Incidentally, Frogmore is where over the years I have (when I lived in Trowbridge) spent many, many hours fishing.
There was a network of narrow gauge tracks in the area connecting several of the mines which are now filled with water.
Indeed, on a sunny day, one can still see the remains of three old wagons sitting on a track length in a shallowish (maybe 8ft) section of the lake (always referred to as a pond by the way).
I believe the short tunnel led to a siding adjacent to the station area. I think the mines were abandoned in the early 1920s or even earlier.
Martin

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1049 on: September 21, 2019, 07:31:11 AM »
The street named Turntable road is on the site of the old locomotive depot demolished in the early 70s and now housing.
And Frogmore Pond is North East of the station located just to the west of the station avoiding line just South of the East chord.the pond is literally 200 yards North of Railway Inn.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything