!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 51929 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #810 on: May 02, 2020, 07:32:28 AM »
Thank you John. “Dee” is always pleased to see Bertie!

I had to check with the oracle in the sky a 2-NOL  :)

Ah, Max Boyce, all I can say is oggie, oggie, oggie (no idea on the correct spelling). Now where’s my giant leek?

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #811 on: May 02, 2020, 07:37:12 AM »
Ah....Max Boyce.
I’d all but forgotten about him.......a proper comedian - “I was there” (I can’t type with a Welsh accent I’m afraid  :D).

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #812 on: May 12, 2020, 04:24:26 PM »
You can't be parking there...

Progress has been a bit glacial recently, I have been diverted by outside jobs during the recent dry spell.

I have been experimenting with white (and yellow) lining. The white lining is done using white acrylic paint, with decorators frog tape used to mask the parking bays. It has taken a lot of coats of paint and I'm not that pleased with the end result. The No Parking area is made using painted paper strips around 0.5 mm wide glued down with neat pva. It's a mighty fiddly method but I think that the end result is better than the painted lines method. What I hadn't spotted with the naked eye, but the camera clearly shows, are the pencil marks used to align the diagonal lines.  :doh: I think that judicious use of dirt, grass, general clutter etc can be used to complete the effect (and hide the worst bits),  :hmmm: Getting there......

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #813 on: May 12, 2020, 05:04:14 PM »
Agreed Keith, the yellow does look better than the white although the camera probably over emphasises the minor flaws with the white.

How about using a fine tipped paint pen (and a ruler) to make the white lines?

And just as well you mentioned those pencil marks! Otherwise no one would have noticed.

Looking really good though.

Martin

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #814 on: May 12, 2020, 06:20:08 PM »
Looks super-duper, Keith.  I think both are good.  Yellow on grey* is probably a 'better' colour combination which might be leading your thinking.

*Union Pacific has used it as a livery for about 80 years!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #815 on: May 12, 2020, 06:24:36 PM »
Looking great Keith, some great photo's  :beers:

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #816 on: May 12, 2020, 07:59:16 PM »
The No Parking area is made using painted paper strips around 0.5 mm wide glued down with neat pva. It's a mighty fiddly method but I think that the end result is better than the painted lines method.

Keith,

I've just done white road markings and double yellow lines on my Saxon Street layout just by cutting out thin lines from photocopy quality paper (painted yellow where needed). Fiddly yes, my zebra crossing below was roughly 40 individual tiny bits, but armed with tweezers and a little bottle that delivered microscopic dots of pva the result is far more convincing than trying to paint lines IMO.

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #817 on: May 12, 2020, 10:49:01 PM »
Looking great Keith, some great photo's  :beers:
:hellosign::greatpicturessign:
  Agreed, certainly look good to me
      stay safe regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #818 on: May 13, 2020, 07:30:13 AM »
Thank you for the kind and helpful comments chaps.  :thumbsup:

I agree Alec, that whilst the paper strip method is very fiddly it does give good results.

I’m going to leave both sides “as is” for now and crack on ( :D) with other stuff. The white lines will act as a “could do better” reminder. I may revisit them in the future.

Once again thank you for looking and commenting and stay safe and healthy.  :beers:

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
45% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal