New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish 90 drive shaft  (Read 448 times)

Offline pape_timmo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Farish 90 drive shaft
« on: June 15, 2018, 08:22:52 PM »

My Farish class 90 is only driving on one end, the other being dragged or pushed around with very little speed and a lot of noise. Iíve taken the motionless bogie out, and found the driveshaft disconnected (snapped?) as above. Does this mean a new shaft, and is the shaft a push fit into the tower or do I need a new tower please?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Timmo
Thereís the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Farish 90 drive shaft
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 07:54:46 PM »
Yes, just a snapped driveshaft - simply ping out the broken end and fit a new shaft.

You do not need a new bogie. But you want to check that bogie for split gears on the wheelsets, as these often cause the driveshaft to snap as they jam the drive up.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline pape_timmo

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 01:02:26 AM »
Thanks Alan, very much appreciated.

Iíve found a lot of my locos are suffering again from split gear syndrome. Not amused about it.

Cheers, Timmo

My YouTube channel

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 08:59:02 AM »
Iíve found a lot of my locos are suffering again from split gear syndrome. Not amused about it.

It's not uncommon on the Bachmann produced versions of the old Farish designs, but it is much less common than in the Poole era days, where it was of complete epidemic proportions.

Easy to fix with reasonably cheap replacement gears from BR Lines - no need to replace wheelsets (far more expensive).

Cheers,
Alan

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 09:06:06 AM »
Replacement wheelsets are £4 direct from Bachmann, so yes, more expensive, but not prohibitively so.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 09:07:50 AM »
Replacement wheelsets are £4 direct from Bachmann, so yes, more expensive, but not prohibitively so.

£4 each?

Cheers
Alan

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 09:20:51 AM »
Yes.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 09:28:56 AM »
Ouch!!!

That's gone up and IMHO very expensive - they used to be £2.50 a shot! Nowadays, that's £16 for a full Bo-Bo set or £24 for a Co-Co - IMHO prohibitively expensive, particularly for older Poole locos.

You can get them from BR Lines for less £3.45  - a little cheaper; by contrast the gears are just under £1 each, so max of £6 per Co-Co - much more amenable.

At those prices, you could buy the worm puller (~£10) and the gears, whilst still have change in your pocket (and having the tool for future use).

Cheers,
Alan

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 09:36:36 AM »
Why would you replace every axle? Why not include the cost of the body and PCB while we're at it...?

It's generally a single axle which is split. So the cost is £4, or £1. Obviously plus postage in each instance - BR Lines charge £3.40, Bachmann charge £2, so one axle from Bachmann is £6, one gear from BR Lines is £4.40.

We've had this discussion before, you were belligerent then. The option is there. It is (marginally) easier and quicker to replace the axle, for a slight cost increase. I've replaced 6 I think, including 2 locos I bought intentionally with split gears as they were cheap. That's out of about 80 locos.

I actually tried to get the gears from BR Lines originally, but had to phone the order through, or email my credit card details, which I was obviously reluctant to do, and then couldn't get through on the phone. I'll pay a couple of quid for convenience, YMMV.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 10:29:34 AM »
Why would you replace every axle? Why not include the cost of the body and PCB while we're at it...?

It's generally a single axle which is split. So the cost is £4, or £1. Obviously plus postage in each instance - BR Lines charge £3.40, Bachmann charge £2, so one axle from Bachmann is £6, one gear from BR Lines is £4.40.

Because, more generally, you may find more than one split. In the worst cases they are all gone (and this is extremely common on old Poole) which is why it gets very very expensive very quickly - I was illustrating the repair costs more generally when all have gone. I've replaced literally thousands of gears on locos - doing so with full axles is simply not a cost effective option - and it's a waste of otherwise perfectly servicable wheels.

You demonstrate my point that BR lines is cheaper - moreover, BR Lines postage is variable, dependent on what/how much is bought, so if you buy one gear I think you'll find it less again (first class stamp). Generally I buy in bulk so the shipping cost per gear becomes minimal.

We've had this discussion before, you were belligerent then. The option is there. It is (marginally) easier and quicker to replace the axle, for a slight cost increase. I've replaced 6 I think, including 2 locos I bought intentionally with split gears as they were cheap. That's out of about 80 locos.

What a downright cheeky comment! Completely unnecessary and unproductive.

I'm simply super keen to show people it's easy to fix these with gears only, saving them money, increasing their awareness, and their modelling skills - if that means repeatedly saying how to do so and enduring unjustifiable insults like that above, then I will.

BR Lines are totally trustworthy - I email them queries, and always get a fast response (within 2 days), and send order through with cheque or PO.

Cheers,
Alan

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 10:34:53 AM »
For clarity I was not suggesting that BR Lines are not trustworthy, just that emailing card details is a really, really bad idea. I don't have a cheque book any more and I've never used a postal order. I accept they are viable alternatives. I tried to phone Bob as per his recommendation for providing card details, that failed, so I sought an alternative. As a casual user buying a few spares the cost was sufficiently close that I was happy buying axles. Again, YMMV. Most people probably aren't buying thousands of axles or gears.

I agree that replacing gears is cheaper, I said as much at least twice in my post. There are alternatives. You don't have to take them, people have a choice. Let's leave it there.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:36:47 AM by njee20 »

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 11:03:50 AM »

I too swap wheels and gears I just wish that the design teams were instructed to use a suite of gears across the range instead each loco now being different even if road wheel is same diamante.

FWIW I have collected like many a good set of spares and might just have a 90 shaft available.

Robert

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 11:16:54 AM »
Surely you mean homogeny would be better, rather than using a suite (ie different) of gears on otherwise similar wheelsets? That would definitely be easier, it's hard to fathom a reason why that would undesirable for Bachmann too.

Offline pape_timmo

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 11:27:39 AM »
Thank you Alan and Njee for your advice. There are different options, as you both mention, and each individual is going to have their own preference, but I really do appreciate the advice of everyone.

Years ago I replaced a few gears, but that was a long time ago. I just hadnít expected so many after the move to Chinese production.

Alan, you mention a worm puller tool, what is this please, as it may be a viable option for removing the gears? The only bearing puller I have is for my car, rather too large for N gauge gears I think  :D

Robert, if you do happen to have a spare drive shaft, that would be excellent?

Many thanks again guys,

Cheers, Timmo

My YouTube channel

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 11:39:31 AM »
Alan, you mention a worm puller tool, what is this please, as it may be a viable option for removing the gears? The only bearing puller I have is for my car, rather too large for N gauge gears I think  :D

Yes, there are similar very small tools available, primarily for pulling worm gears off shafts. They work well for this, but also for neat wheel removal to fit replacement gears.

My original one cost a fiver, and I also bought a second one that was about a tenner - it was from an RC helicopter supplier - I'm afraid off the top of my head I don't recall the supplier (was several years ago), so will need to search it out again.

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:43:31 AM by Dr Al »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here