!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Takahachikawa (Japanese layout)  (Read 26188 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Takahachikawa (Japanese layout)
« Reply #600 on: August 12, 2019, 08:02:04 AM »
Splendid picture!

Rule one applies.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #601 on: August 12, 2019, 08:25:24 AM »
That looks like a fairly late model, not one of your usual bargain basement jobs.....

What's going on, Squiddy?  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #602 on: August 12, 2019, 09:29:49 AM »
That looks like a fairly late model, not one of your usual bargain basement jobs.....

Um, that was one of Dapol's 50 quid specials, which I ordered early one morning while not fully awake (gotta move fast before they all go!) and didn't realise it was in GWR livery, so have since acquired some coaches for it to pull from the Hattons 2nd hand page, though I suspect they might not be fully prototypical (I can never remember which GWR corporate designs came when).

We resume normal service with this Tomix 72/73-series EMU in "Yokosuka" livery:

Tomix 72/73 series (Yokosuka colour) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

which we have seen before, albeit in brown.

As mentioned, this particular class has many variations, here we see the leading car has been modernised, while the intermediate trailers retain the original 3-part windows.

We also see that the stickers above the cab windows are somewhat wonky, this is because the unit is a pre-owned auction bargain, evidently part of someone's collection being sold off as I acquired a couple of other sets which appeared to have come from the same owner. It needed some mechanical attention (must be about 20 years old) and now runs nice and smoothly; I have replaced the original shiny wheelsets with more modern blackened ones.

The cab at the other end looks like this:

Tomix 72/73 series (Yokosuka colour) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Again, a different variation.

The real thing in action on the Chuo Line in 1966:

http://rail.hobidas.com/kokutetsu2/archives/0070-6/0010-19/#entry-21506

Yet another variation, this time with the same cab windows as the first shot above, but the original 3-part side windows.

Note the lack of any fencing between road and railway, something you no longer see in built-up areas. The line here has since been elevated and another pair of tracks added, so this viewpoint is long gone.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #603 on: August 13, 2019, 11:04:22 PM »
Wow! A real history session. What is really natsukashi here is that I remember the 1990's stock on the Chuo, Sobu, Yamanote etc from my time in Japan. If I do get a business trip to Japan, which might be possibly November, I'll get in touch for a possible meet up! 

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #604 on: August 13, 2019, 11:11:42 PM »
Make sure it's not a night when the Japanese footy is on. The pubs are full  ;) :beers:

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #605 on: August 16, 2019, 05:36:58 AM »
Wow! A real history session. What is really natsukashi here is that I remember the 1990's stock on the Chuo, Sobu, Yamanote etc from my time in Japan. If I do get a business trip to Japan, which might be possibly November, I'll get in touch for a possible meet up!

I am still cursing myself for not taking more notice of the trains while I was here in the late 1990s.

I may, ironically, be out of Japan at some point in November, not sure yet.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #606 on: August 16, 2019, 05:38:42 AM »
Anyway, enough trains for now, time for a bit of scenery construction progress:

rear-left-scene-2019-08-15_02 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

rear-left-scene-2019-08-15_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #607 on: August 16, 2019, 07:08:24 AM »
Very reminiscent of that place I bought that green  :poop: from in Lara  ;)

Looks great!  :beers:

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #608 on: August 16, 2019, 07:51:35 AM »
I like the smooth transition from flat to slope in the road going up the hill.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #609 on: August 16, 2019, 09:41:48 AM »
I like the smooth transition from flat to slope in the road going up the hill.

It will be a lot smoother once the road is laid properly, what you see are bits and pieces laid for effect  :)

I have probably mentioned this umpteen times before, but one of the nice things about Japan from a modelling point of view is that it is full of steep hills with accompanying steep slopes and buildings squeezed in wherever there's a bit of land which can be made level (or in extreme cases using stilts to build a house on a 45 degree slope), so you can squeeze a lot in and still have it look plausible.

Stay tuned for more trains as I have just visited a big exhibition...

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #610 on: August 16, 2019, 10:09:03 AM »
Hi Ian,

I like the road as is. Reminds me of a road in a village in France where my mate lives. We hired a Luton van to move a load of stuff from England to where he lives and I swear the van was going to topple over the edge at any moment.

If you imagine your van, but obviously bigger, further up. Not quite the Italian job but scary nonetheless.

Love your scenery. Great stuff.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #611 on: August 16, 2019, 02:37:33 PM »
And I was only supposed to blow the bloody doors off ;).

The road will, eventually, disappear behind the "shoulder" of the hill on the left, and with some arboreal disguise, the abrupt end enforced by the presence of the wall will be entirely hidden from any remotely achievable viewing angle.

Now back to some trains...

One of the great things about the Japanese N gauge market is the incredible coverage of protoypes, at least of anything running from the 1920s onwards. For my Chuo Line-centred world, it's very rare not to be able to find a model of a particular prototype, the "missing" ones are mainly obscure early electric loco classes (and I think if I look hard enough they'll be available as kits somewhere).

However even in Japan, it is not feasible for manufacturers to keep everything in production all the time, and there's a fair few items where there was one production run, and that was it. This is particularly true for MicroAce, who have produced a huge range mainly of one-off production runs. This includes various Tozai Line underground trains, which are of particular interest to me as they run through onto the Chuo-Sobu Line (previously mentioned here), but are as rare as hen's teeth and command eye-watering prices.

But I am a great believer in the concept of manifest destiny, and so it was I set off to the 20th JAM Convention, "JAM" here referring not to fruit preserves but the "Japanese Association of Modellers" (or so I believe), which I think is the largest model railway event in Japan held each August, confident that somehow I would exit the proud owner of a Tozai Line model.

Now, while there are some layouts on show, it's more of a sales event providing a) access to a wide range of 2nd hand products and b) access to various niche manufacturers of accessories etc., and so it was that I chanced upon this MicroAce Eidan 05 series for a sane, non-eye-watering price hidden among a pile of junk on the stand of a model shop from somewhere in the boonies north of Tokyo.

Catalogue number A5010 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

This particular model was made in 2003 representing the 8th construction lot of the 05 series, built in 1999 (the 05 series has a number of distinct variants which I wasn't really aware of until I looked up this model, which is annoying, as I will now have to spend the next few years looking out for the other variants). Unusually for a MicroAce model of that production era, it runs quite smoothly without sounding like a box of spanners and is in pretty good condition overall, so I'll count this one as a win.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 03:22:26 PM by railsquid »

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #612 on: August 16, 2019, 03:00:02 PM »
Now, the eagle-eyed among you will, if you are not otherwise occupied swooping down from great height with the intent of acquiring a startled rodent for lunch, have noticed a logo on the front of the above 05 series which bears a faint resemblance to the London Underground logo.

I am sure the resemblance is entirely coincidental, but regardless of that, it is the logo of the former Teito Rapid Transit Authority ("Teito" meaning literally "Imperial Capital"), in use from the 1950s until 2004 (which limits the prototypical running period of the above 05 series to 1999-2004).

In 2004 the Teito Rapid Transit Authority was "privatized", meaning it went from a state-owned corporation jointly owned by the Metropolis of Tokyo and the Japanese government to a private entity which is jointly owned by the Metropolis of Tokyo and the Japanese government, called "Tokyo Metro", with a brand-new logo (see below).

At this point it is traditional to jump in and confuse things further by stating that Tokyo has a whole other underground network
 owned and run by... the Metropolis of Tokyo. This network is smaller and only has 4 lines, but just to keep things interesting those 4 lines have 3 different gauges (1,435 mm, 1,372 mm and 1,067 mm). And one of them has through-running with a Tokyo Metro line.

I hope you are keeping up with all this?

Anyway this is my other Tozai Line model:

MicroAce Tokyo Metro 5000 Series by Rail Squid, on Flickr

a 5000 series, which is much older than the 05 series (dating from the 1960s) but here seen with the 2004-and-later Tokyo Metro logo (the stylized "M" on a light blue background at the top right of the cab front), which limits its prototypical running era to ca. 2004 - 2007 (when they were withdrawn).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 03:08:54 PM by railsquid »

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #613 on: August 16, 2019, 04:18:07 PM »
I have probably mentioned this umpteen times before, but one of the nice things about Japan from a modelling point of view is that it is full of steep hills with accompanying steep slopes and buildings squeezed in wherever there's a bit of land which can be made level (or in extreme cases using stilts to build a house on a 45 degree slope), so you can squeeze a lot in and still have it look plausible.

It occurred to me I might as well make use of the Peco tunnel "wings" (to use what is probably not the technical term) to defuse some scenic right-angles and generally give the impression they are there to hold the scenery up (very important in Japan as there is lots of steep scenery engaged in an aeon-spanning attempt to slide inexorably down the gravity well)

Here's a good example of all that... not railway-related, but narrow valley up in the mountains, road running along the side of the valley, valley falls on road (see video from about 1:10). Road subsequently rerouted through tunnel.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77J5E_RDESo

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #614 on: August 16, 2019, 04:58:47 PM »

Here's a good example of all that... not railway-related

Stop right there, this is Japan, everything is railway-related, and the river in that video is the Azusa River, after which the eponymous Chuo Line express service is named.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here