!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Takahachikawa (Japanese layout)  (Read 41018 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Takahachikawa (Japanese layout)
« Reply #870 on: February 06, 2020, 07:56:21 PM »

...The tunnel with the red brick portal is not one which would exist in any rational topography, but here in Trainset World is one of many inevitable compromises.

Exactly!  Sometimes, just sometimes, I think that many of us in the hobby have an inbuilt reluctance to enter 'Trainset World'.  I really like to see the result when a fellow modeller has no such qualms.

Your photographs are excellent; particularly the striking overview.

Many thanks and best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #871 on: February 06, 2020, 09:57:43 PM »

Your photographs are excellent; particularly the striking overview.

[/quote]
  :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
      I`ll second that
        regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #872 on: February 09, 2020, 01:52:44 AM »
RULE 1 ALERT!

I put in a speculative low late-night bid on this rather handsome-looking "Twilight Express" sleeper train hauled by an EF81 in matching livery from Tomix and was mildly annoyed to find myself winning it, as it is very out-of-area (the prototype ran between Osaka and Sapporo up the west coast of Japan) and there are many classic brown electric locos I really need more. However it turned out unexpectedly to not only have Tomix close couplings fitted (which are kind of expensive) but all the coaches were fitted with lighting bars, so shouldn't complain and I do like the colour.

Tomix Twighlight Express with EF81 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Tomix Twighlight Express with EF81 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Wikipedia  has more information about the prototype: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_Express
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 01:54:00 AM by railsquid »
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #873 on: February 09, 2020, 02:08:32 AM »
You WIN!!!

What a great train. And being the fan of transition BR green that I am, I love the colour too!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #874 on: February 09, 2020, 11:45:05 AM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
    Nice one Ian, does look good in Green
        regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #875 on: February 10, 2020, 05:45:51 AM »
it may have been a Rule 1 purchase, but it does look rather nice.

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #876 on: February 10, 2020, 06:14:15 AM »
That's the train I took a pic of in Kyoto, yes?   :hmmm:

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #877 on: February 14, 2020, 05:43:35 PM »
A very good looking rule 1 purchase. And I really enjoyed the long shot "view from the onsen" - gives a great view of the layout and how the backscene blends in with those steep Japanese hills...!
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #878 on: February 15, 2020, 03:07:27 PM »
Long-suffering readers of this thread may remember this:

Meanwhile, running light-loco we see another Blast from the Brown Past, this time one of the early "modern" locos, an ED61:

Tomix ED61 (ED61-11) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Freshly out of the "applying the fiddly bits" workshop, only 2 fiddly bits lost to posterity (fortunately Tomix provides spares).

Well you know the drill, it's electric and has 4 powered axles, and being a "modern" one is bereft of unpowered axles (at this point in their history at least) so is a Bo-Bo.

This class of 18 was built in 1958/1959 specifically for freight services on the Chuo Line and were designed with regenerative braking, which however wasn't too successful. Often working in pairs, they lasted until the mid 1970s when they were transferred to the Iida Line, for which they were rebuilt as class ED62 and received an additional non-powered axle in the middle for weight reasons.

I have yet to find colour pictures of these in their original brown livery (they were later repainted to blue). Last picture on this page shows one in splendid black-and-white:

http://home.a00.itscom.net/yosan/densya/omiya/newpage2.html

You can tell it's brown because the blue ones have a brighter "warning panel" on the cab ends.

As these survived into the "JNR blue" period of the area I'm interested in, a blue version has been on my want list, but they're out-of-production at the moment and the ones available second hand, while not particularly unreasonable, have been at the price level where I can afford to wait for Tomix to release a new batch, these being somewhat towards the lower end of my hierarchy of needs.

Until the other day, when I was engaged in a bit of retail therapy aka scouring the junk bins of Tokyo's Akihabara district where I stumbled upon this one:

Tomix ED61 (ED61 1) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

for a whole 2600 yen, or at the current unleashed potential GBP exchange rate, a smidgen over 18GBP. Unboxed, but it did come with the instructions sheet and all the unused parts and is in very good condition, so I can pat myself on the back and cross it off the list.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #879 on: February 15, 2020, 03:30:26 PM »

I have yet to find colour pictures of these in their original brown livery (they were later repainted to blue). Last picture on this page shows one in splendid black-and-white:

http://home.a00.itscom.net/yosan/densya/omiya/newpage2.html

You can tell it's brown because the blue ones have a brighter "warning panel" on the cab ends.

"For those of you viewing in black and white, the brown is between the blue and the green!"

I'm glad you found a locomotive you wanted.  I can't decide if I prefer the blue or brown livery...

Best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #880 on: February 15, 2020, 07:41:45 PM »
"For those of you viewing in black and white, the brown is between the blue and the green!"
I thought it was between the yellow and the green.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #881 on: February 15, 2020, 10:36:29 PM »
Good acquisition, Ian.  :thumbsup:

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #882 on: February 18, 2020, 02:42:01 PM »
In other news, local residents were puzzled by the sudden appearance of thin wooden javelin-like objects along one of the hairpin bends.

road-incline-2020-02-16_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Upon removal of the affected piece of scenery to the local council's workbench for further investigation, it was determined that the offending items were due to the long overdue installation of crash barriers to help prevent errant vehicles flying off the road and into the path of passing trains.

road-incline-2020-02-16_02 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #883 on: February 18, 2020, 03:22:22 PM »
With my traffic cientist's hat on, they're not strictly crash barriers, but safety barriers, although the ends may be fitted with crash cushions.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #884 on: March 03, 2020, 03:37:27 PM »
Meanwhile, last in the ED75 series, as I've run out of ED75s:

MicroAce ED75 (ED75 711) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

It's 2007 in the model production world, and here we have an ED75-700 subseries from MicroAce, for a change. Built for service on the Ōu Main Line and Uetsu Main Line in the 1970s. The prototype in action:

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB:JNR_ed75_711_orient_akebono.jpg

The model is more-or-less modern standard, all windows (including upper body side windows) glazed (though I see on the photo the side cab windows at the rear end are out-of-whack, must fix that); cab details are more-or-less present and represented in a reasonably prototypical pale green-blue (though MicroAce do tend to take some liberties with the space), (dummy) rear lights are separate parts, and the uncoupling lever (the wiggly black thing) is modelled as a separate part on the front skirt.

I'm not sure if it has a flywheel motor or LED lighting, either way it it is a nice quiet smooth runner.

The shunter grab handles however are still only represented as protrusions on the body moulding.

Now, while I am keen to expand my ED75 collection for N gauge historical reasons, explaining the turnover in first-borns to the relevant authorities get tedious after a while, so I have been holding back on acquiring more recent versions. However, a few weeks back before one had to be paranoid about touching things other people may have previously touched, especially in areas frequented by tourist groups from the Middle Kingdom, I had a productive session rummaging in the junk bins of Tokyo's Akihabara district and came home with this:

Junk, 2020-01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

which included the ED61 previously mentioned and also a Tomix ED75, which freed of its wrapping looks like this:

Tomix ED75 (ED75 1039) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

which is a comparatively modern Tomix model (either 2009 or 2014 vintage) featuring cab detailing with actual proper see-through visibility, uncoupling bar and shunter grab handles as separate parts, but sadly missing from this very cheap "junk" purchase.

However, what would a railsquid be without a parts drawer containing the requisite parts?

Admittedly purchased on a whim as it looked like they might come in handy, which they did:

I'll need to replace the number plates at some point (the previous owner seems to have hacked them from their sprues with nail scissors or something, though fortunately refraining from smothering them with solvent love) but overall this is the second-best bargain loco I've acquired to date (when comparing price paid with quality of product).

(For reference see post with older Tomix ED75 versions here).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 03:39:06 PM by railsquid »

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything